Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any know how many Ultra Violet SSR's were made in O4. I have been told that only 25 were made in 03. The color was not always available as I understand. My dealer had a yellow on order when he saw the availability of Ultra Violet and changed the order. Lucky Me. We have had it since Sept. and love it.

D

·
0 Posts
Picked mine up in February and had a lot of good comments about the color.

Traded it in August for a more practical winter vehicle.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
There were 27 '03 Ultraviolets. The 25 Signature Series, the '03 Indy Pace Truck, and Rick Wagoner's vehicle(VIN 0050).

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Blurple

freezer said:
There were 27 '03 Ultraviolets. The 25 Signature Series, the '03 Indy Pace Truck, and Rick Wagoner's vehicle(VIN 0050).
There was a Blurple available at the dealership when I bought my Black '03 back in January. I guess this means that it had to be an '04??

·
Registered
152 Posts
freezer said:
Freezer likely can clarify this.

The one Signature Series I saw does not seem to be the same paint as the 04 Ultraviolet.

Does anyone on this site really know if the 27 '03 violets are the same as the '04 Ultraviolet that are now in the market or not?

:seeya

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
Ultra Violet numbers

HI Group,

Just got an update from a friend at GM. He said he is driving his new company car.

... I just got another SSR for the winter it is loaded with all the goodies. ... It's Slingshot Yellow. Yeah I forgot about the Indy Pace car also there is another one that went to Rick Mears... They are all Ultra Violet. Quality is really up but sales are way down.

If I have recorded the numbers correctly:

25 Signature Series
*1 Indy Pace Car
*1 Rick Wagoners
*1 Rick Mears
28 = # 03 Ultra Violets

·
549 Posts
I do not recall the Rick Mears vehicle being Ultra. Of the 27, the first 5 were painted in like prototypes as was the Indy Pace. The remainder were painted at the Craft Centre during early production runs. The paint was exactly the same as the '04 Ultra paint.

·
0 Posts
My father has a 04 purple. He has had it for about a year now. I think I have him talked into doing heads/cam/headers on it this winter. Should be an interesting, semi rare car. Kaley

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ultraviolet in 03

I believe that the #'s quoted r correct @28 but I was told that they were ALL hand painted as opposed 2 robopaint. Also, I was told that they applied additional coats of clear with wet sanding btween coats. :thumbs

The 04's were painted via Robbie the Robot during production.

Hope this helps n is accurate as conveyed 2 me. :rolleyes:

:cool

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
Update 03's Violets

I wanted to share a little more info that might help clarify or enhance our knowledge of the 03's that were built. Here is some more bits from one of my emails that I had received from a GM friend that was at the SSR location back then.

... "there are 25 03MY (model year) violet signature series SSR's they have real vins but were built prior to saleable. It was real nightmare due to the reworks. My name is on #25. Rick does not have a GM custom paint job it was done on his own nickel elsewhere outside of GM. Ricks is indeed a signiture series outside."

·
Registered
222 Posts
Reworks?

Marc NY said:

... "there are 25 03MY (model year) violet signature series SSR's they have real vins but were built prior to saleable. It was real nightmare due to the reworks. My name is on #25. Rick does not have a GM custom paint job it was done on his own nickel elsewhere outside of GM. Ricks is indeed a signiture series outside."

Marc,

Question....whaddya mean "reworks"? Also, were they really painted by hand or robots? And what do u mean by "Ricks is indeed a signiture series outside."?

Thanx again 4 ur expertise. :thumbs

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
Hey, 17

I would recommend picking up a copy of the book "SSR - An American Original" Grrrreat reading, and a lot of very interesting information. The book describes the "Signature" project extensively. The reworking meant bringing them back in to get any changes and updates being done prior to the start of regular production. Lots of changes were done, including a fairly extensive electrical rewiring.

I'm taking my copy with me to SEMA - just in case any of the GM execs involved happen to be at the show - would love to get their signatures. Based on reading the book, it's a flippin miracle that this gem ever made it to production, and pretty much because the men at the top wanted it. The usual financial logic was pushed to the side - we're very lucky to have it.

Ray

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
03 Ultras cont.

I received another email ... hope that it might enlighten more of us out there a little bit more ... it sure did me! :thumbs

"I can’t recall if Rick’s is one of the 25 or not, it maybe number 21 seem to recall we swapped one of the units. All of the signature series were painted at the plant with a combination of robotics and non-robotics, as are all SSR’s. These units were so early that any issues found later were applied to these units for instance they all got new roofs, tonneau and bed covers, anti itch patches, they all had engine chuff which we fixed, new window and roof seals, they got the stone guard on the rear quarter versus the clear tape on them when shipped, some got new engines and trans (I won’t tell you why), door linkage foam for rattle, lots and lots of the basic issues we shake out before we ever shipped to commerce. I have no clue what wiring changes other than the roof wiring. No other wiring was changed on these units to my knowledge until 05MY, that is due to Corp new standards. I didn’t buy the book because I reviewed and found that for the most part the participants were detached from what really happened. Kind of like the General Patton talking about front line combat when he was never in front line combat. There was more propaganda and fluff than substance. Rick Wagoner said build it and we did with the proviso we still meet business plan and budget that is why it is smaller than the one first shown at car shows in 2000..."

regards

I am glad that I have an opportunity to receive these emails... I still think that the book is a great piece. It is a MUST HAVE for any SSR owner.

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
Freezer is right on!

freezer said:
It appears now after further review... Rick Mears SSR was one of the original 25 and even with an exchange of one of the SSRs the number 27 seems to be the correct total number of 03s that were made with the UltraViolet color. There certainly was a lot of rework done to those units for sure. However, I for one am very glad they made them despite the many start up issues that were encountered.

·
549 Posts
The book is great and the information was reviewed by the primary participants for accuracy. Gary is an outstanding auto journalist and he owns an SSR himself. The first 5 Signature Series were not painted in the plant because the plant was not running when we built them.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
details

you gentlemens love details don't you... great search engine for all the SSr info!!!

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
Great Support Freezer

Thanks Ed,

I want to say I certainly appreciate that you give us all here your open and very informed knowledge. Like I have mentioned previously it is so hard to differentiate from all the sources and information that one receives. I know that even within my own plant I can talk to a half dozen people and get similar but different answers to why things happen and what really happened. Sometimes it is in the eyes of the beholder and their state of mind at that time.

Again, thank you for your continued support and for providing us all here with your feedback and knowledge.
:thumbs

·
Registered
222 Posts
Attaway....

Marc NY said:
Thanks Ed,

I want to say I certainly appreciate that you give us all here your open and very informed knowledge. Like I have mentioned previously it is so hard to differentiate from all the sources and information that one receives. I know that even within my own plant I can talk to a half dozen people and get similar but different answers to why things happen and what really happened. Sometimes it is in the eyes of the beholder and their state of mind at that time.

Again, thank you for your continued support and for providing us all here with your feedback and knowledge.
:thumbs
Ditto what he said. :thumbs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts