Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a 4-post lift in my garage and popped the SSR up there to have a good look around underneath. I was surprised by how dirty it is and the rear differential paint is peeling off. So, I'm going to spend some time tidying up a bit and would love to hear thoughts on how to clean it up some. I was thinking a bucket of soapy water, scrub brush and some Simple Green. As for the differential, maybe just a wire brush to remove flaking paint / surface rust and some good black Rust Oleum paint. I'm not really keen on a differential replacement cover. What do people think?

Attachments

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt
48,408 Posts
I changed my differential cover and keep the underside clean with spray detail. Once you get it cleaned up and painted just wipe it down once a year with a spray detail of your choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I just had new tips welded on at a local muffler shop and had a chance to sniff around under the truck. I was surprised to see how clean this 55K mile truck is. Just proves that it's true what's said about vehicles that live in dry arid climates like here in New Mexico. That said, the U-channel rail that runs cross ways under the tranny was full of straw where previous tenant's (mice) had lived at some point in the past. LOL.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I use AWESOME cleaner from dollar general $3.00 per half gallon.
Read the instructions for cleaning as it will strip paint if use 100%
I use on a lot of cleaning jobs.
Best of luck

·
Super Moderator
14,088 Posts
Marc, your SSR butt is stunning - so nice to see an SSR so pristine
I did a bit on how Kate was a bit of a mess when I received her
It seems they weren't all that well looked after out of the garage
She is cool now, but did take some work

Painted Pumpkin.jpg

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,948 Posts
We did a thread on the Stock Diff Cover paint years ago. Seemed that All were starting to peel, and that it appeared paint was applied over bare steel at the time. Many fixes were suggested. I Never fixed mine because of installing the Spare Tire Kit Hid the cover from ever being seen again. 2 for 1 fix ! Don't feel singled out, almost All diff covers look like yours.....

·
Tech Support/Research
1,736 Posts
Chassis Cleanup

Misterdp:

Your proposed steps will work OK as a short-term cosmetic solution. If you are looking for a more permanent solution, after you remove flaking paint and loose rust, clean all surfaces thoroughly with a good degreaser (water-based like Power Clean is OK) and apply a rust converter primer before painting. I’ve tried several types from Eastwood, POR-15, etc. and most recently used a product called Corroseal. It’s latex-based, easy to work with and can even be applied using a garden sprayer. Regardless of which you choose, after applying an enamel topcoat the painted surface will last for some time.

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,291 Posts
misterdp, I just wanted to share a photo of my stock SSR undercarriage.

EDIT: Sorry I was wanting to share what a stock SSR garage queen looks like... that photo was taken a number of years ago and it still looks virtually the same today.
Dang Marc, is that some rust on the left tail pipe hanger????

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,485 Posts
I have a 68 Chevelle SS that I nut and bolt restored the chassis on and I vowed to never again do that on another car. Many bolts are factory type and correct finish with satin clear coat over it, some are stainless and some are grade 8, all stainless lines, and fully painted chassis. I tore it all the way down, blasted the frame then painted it and put it all back together. I could never see me doing that with the SSR.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts