Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
SSR Enthusiast
2004 Chevrolet SSR #10111 Ricochet Silver
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Funny story....

I started to notice that my inside door handle wasn't opening the door as well as it should, and after reading many posts on how to fix the problem, I contacted Dicktator and ordered his repair kit. I received the item this afternoon and thought I'd start tinkering around the R ( I also bought the Bed Light LED upgrade kit from him-took 2 minutes to install and it's probably the best $15 I've spent in a long time-more on that later). So I got my Ipad out and opened the "How-To" Library that Dicktator has provided. I begin the process of taking the door panel off, step by step. Once I got the inner "cup" off I began to see what appeared to be (4) stainless steel screws on the inside of the handle area. I wasn't planning on taking the door panel off tonight-I just wanted to see what was broken off and then tackle the project over the weekend, but now I was intrigued! Still following the "how-to" library instructions, I took the door panel off only to find that Dicktator's inside door repair kit was already installed! The issue was not the handle because it was already repaired-I found some duct tape at the end of the handle that goes into the black lever on the inside of the door itself. This lever opens the door when the handle turns into it and then the door will open. I didn't see anything broken on the part but the tape was there for a reason. For the time being, I added more tape to the end and the door opens much better. I'll research the problem later on.

So this leads me to the next question. My 2004 SSR is from Blakeley, PA (outside of Scranton). I bought it in April of this year and it has 15,400 miles when it was delivered. Seeing that this is a part that was provided by a fanatic member (Dicktator), would any of you have an idea of who may have owned my R originally? I believe that I'm the 3rd owner and I know the 2nd owner, but it would be nice to meet the original owner and ask a few questions. Any help is appreciated.

So in closing..... for fellow newbie SSR owners like me....

1. Buy the LED Bed Light Upgrade Kit for $15. It's a 5 minute fix with very bright results (in the bed area). And also a huge money saver if the old plug catches fire from what I've read.

2. Download the "How-To" Library that Dicktator has put together. It's such an amazing resource and I have used it on every one of my recent upgrades.

3. Replace your OEM fan before it leaves you on the side of the road.

4. Get to know your R by reading this forum and asking questions-as many as you like. I've never been made to feel bad for asking a question and I've asked a few.

5. Take your friends and loved one for a ride with the top down as often as you can. It's a priceless experience. I thank God that I found this car because it gave me more quality time with my 13 year old daughter who still thinks her Dad is cool. She calls it the BT (baby truck). Haha

6. Tell your family and friends how much you care for them during this Christmas season and always.

Thanks to all of my fellow fanatics out there. You make owning this car such a blast.

Merry Christmas!

Brian (Bee75):silver:

Attachments

·
Two Tone Owner
2,760 Posts
I live in Scranton, Pa. A couple of miles from Blakeley. I have never seen a silver one around here.
But with low mileage like that, I doubt it was driven much. :yellow:

·
SSR Enthusiast
2004 Chevrolet SSR #10111 Ricochet Silver
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought it from Serges Auto Sales in Scranton, PA. His name is Steve Serge and he is a classic car dealer. He bought it from the original owner and then sold it to another guy and then bought it back. From 2009-2018 it was only driven 1000 miles. I wonder how long ago the door handle repair kit was invented......

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,610 Posts
Try looking at the Build Sheet Request Thread and use the Search This Thread tool at the top of the page. Put the VIN in and see if anyone has requested it in the past.

Reactions: Bee75

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,496 Posts
Funny story....

I started to notice that my inside door handle wasn't opening the door as well as it should, and after reading many posts on how to fix the problem, I contacted Dicktator and ordered his repair kit. I received the item this afternoon and thought I'd start tinkering around the R ( I also bought the Bed Light LED upgrade kit from him-took 2 minutes to install and it's probably the best $15 I've spent in a long time-more on that later). So I got my Ipad out and opened the "How-To" Library that Dicktator has provided. I begin the process of taking the door panel off, step by step. Once I got the inner "cup" off I began to see what appeared to be (4) stainless steel screws on the inside of the handle area. I wasn't planning on taking the door panel off tonight-I just wanted to see what was broken off and then tackle the project over the weekend, but now I was intrigued! Still following the "how-to" library instructions, I took the door panel off only to find that Dicktator's inside door repair kit was already installed! The issue was not the handle because it was already repaired-I found some duct tape at the end of the handle that goes into the black lever on the inside of the door itself. This lever opens the door when the handle turns into it and then the door will open. I didn't see anything broken on the part but the tape was there for a reason. For the time being, I added more tape to the end and the door opens much better. I'll research the problem later on.

So this leads me to the next question. My 2004 SSR is from Blakeley, PA (outside of Scranton). I bought it in April of this year and it has 15,400 miles when it was delivered. Seeing that this is a part that was provided by a fanatic member (Dicktator), would any of you have an idea of who may have owned my R originally? I believe that I'm the 3rd owner and I know the 2nd owner, but it would be nice to meet the original owner and ask a few questions. Any help is appreciated.

So in closing..... for fellow newbie SSR owners like me....

1. Buy the LED Bed Light Upgrade Kit for $15. It's a 5 minute fix with very bright results (in the bed area). And also a huge money saver if the old plug catches fire from what I've read.

2. Download the "How-To" Library that Dicktator has put together. It's such an amazing resource and I have used it on every one of my recent upgrades.

3. Replace your OEM fan before it leaves you on the side of the road.

4. Get to know your R by reading this forum and asking questions-as many as you like. I've never been made to feel bad for asking a question and I've asked a few.

5. Take your friends and loved one for a ride with the top down as often as you can. It's a priceless experience. I thank God that I found this car because it gave me more quality time with my 13 year old daughter who still thinks her Dad is cool. She calls it the BT (baby truck). Haha

6. Tell your family and friends how much you care for them during this Christmas season and always.

Thanks to all of my fellow fanatics out there. You make owning this car such a blast.

Merry Christmas!

Brian (Bee75):silver:

Number 5 and 6 really hit me hard as I just lost the love of my life for the past 30 years, November 19th 2018. She loved the top down and going fast and we did a lot of that whenever we could. Love your SSR and love the one you are with!!!

·
Two Tone Owner
2,760 Posts
I bought it from Serges Auto Sales in Scranton, PA. His name is Steve Serge and he is a classic car dealer. He bought it from the original owner and then sold it to another guy and then bought it back. From 2009-2018 it was only driven 1000 miles. I wonder how long ago the door handle repair kit was invented......
I know Steve, his father was my barber. He has been selling quality classic vehicles for years.
He has also taken up photography and uses an older Jeep Cherokee in many of his shoots.
He is a dealer and probably didn’t put many miles while he had it. Probably most of the miles were put on by the 1st owner. Walter :yellow:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts