Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Perfectionist
05 Redline, 06 Pac Blue, Spfld, Illinois
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had this funny noise coming grom the right front caliper. It was a creak, like stepping on a creaky floor board. So i ordered two Dorman rebuild kits off amazon.Pulled the caliper off. Dorman makes these cool rubber sleeves that fit inside the banjo bolts to stop the fluid from leakin out. Anyway, i put air pressure to the caliper, one piston blew right out. Tbe other was froze. Replaced the piston that came out. Put clamp around it. Took almost 100 psi to blow the orger piston out. Cleaned and flushed, and blew everything. Work the pistons and bores with some 2000 grit paper with oil. Perfect! Ready to go! Opened the kits, wrong parts! Amazon strikes again! To be continued when new parts arrive from oreillys on tues. This could be one of those WhyMe moments.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Well, I had this funny noise coming grom the right front caliper. It was a creak, like stepping on a creaky floor board. So i ordered two Dorman rebuild kits off amazon.Pulled the caliper off. Dorman makes these cool rubber sleeves that fit inside the banjo bolts to stop the fluid from leakin out. Anyway, i put air pressure to the caliper, one piston blew right out. Tbe other was froze. Replaced the piston that came out. Put clamp around it. Took almost 100 psi to blow the orger piston out. Cleaned and flushed, and blew everything. Work the pistons and bores with some 2000 grit paper with oil. Perfect! Ready to go! Opened the kits, wrong parts! Amazon strikes again! To be continued when new parts arrive from oreillys on tues. This could be one of those WhyMe moments.
Definitely a WHY ME. Wrong front end parts, wrong brake parts something else you got was wrong. Just go out to Motorheads and order some food. They have always gotten it right for me.😁😁😁😁😁

·
Perfectionist
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Boy a Hamburger Horseshoe does sound good

·
Perfectionist
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, got my new caliper rebuild kits today from oreillys, they are wrong too. Took them back, checked part nuumber, correct! So, checked part number for 05 and it is different. So upon reading some old post, I must have an 06 with 05 aluminuim calipers on it. But my 06 is not a final production run. I was reading about bolt spacing being different. But my problem is the kit. The kits I have aquired from two different sources for an 06, have bore seals that are too big, and seal boots that are too small to press into the caliper. So this might mean that the 06 other calipers have bigger pistons. So I guess I will try a couple 05 kits next. What a pain in the ass.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Ok, got my new caliper rebuild kits today from oreillys, they are wrong too. Took them back, checked part nuumber, correct! So, checked part number for 05 and it is different. So upon reading some old post, I must have an 06 with 05 aluminuim calipers on it. But my 06 is not a final production run. I was reading about bolt spacing being different. But my problem is the kit. The kits I have aquired from two different sources for an 06, have bore seals that are too big, and seal boots that are too small to press into the caliper. So this might mean that the 06 other calipers have bigger pistons. So I guess I will try a couple 05 kits next. What a pain in the ass.
:unsure:
Kinda sounds like they all knew the whole run would be over in the '06 model and therefore went with '05 parts till they ran out and then did a modification for the final production run

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Now I think you should go to Motorheads and drink your lunch instead of eating it.😏😏😏😏😏

·
Perfectionist
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:unsure:
Kinda sounds like they all knew the whole run would be over in the '06 model and therefore went with '05 parts till they ran out and then did a modification for the final production run
Man your guess is as good as mine. Just not sure what to order? nobody has anything on the shelf. I guess I am one of the few that likes to rebuild stuff anymore. This should have been an easy fix. Unreal

·
SSR Believer
2,457 Posts
Man your guess is as good as mine. Just not sure what to order? nobody has anything on the shelf. I guess I am one of the few that likes to rebuild stuff anymore. This should have been an easy fix. Unreal
If you get stuck, I have a full set of front and rear calipers from our '05 that were working just fine when I took them off at 56K. Holding on to them because I didn't want to see them go into a landfill. Yours for the shipping.

Also have perfectly good rotors, no hot spots, etc. Could be used as-is or there's plenty left on them to be turned.

·
Perfectionist
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rich, I ordered some kits for an 05. They will be here friday. Thanks for the offer!!! I may take you up on that if need be! I save stuff too, just like you!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts