·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,607 Posts

·
Registered
2003 & 2004 Black SSR
166 Posts
I'm sure you can upgrade but, I don't believe the plastic lens was built to take on the additional heat.
I just drive with my highlights on in the evening.
Plenty of New vehicles on the road with very bright lights to be singled out.

·
SSR Believer
4,136 Posts
I'm sure you can upgrade but, I don't believe the plastic lens was built to take on the additional heat.
I just drive with my highlights on in the evening.
Plenty of New vehicles on the road with very bright lights to be singled out.
The OEM halogen bulbs SSRs came with generate the most heat of any bulb on the market. By contrast, LEDs (what the OP was asking about) generate very little heat.

·
SSR Believer
4,136 Posts
Any recommendations on upgrading the headlight bulbs on a 2003 SSR? The low beams at night just don't cut it. Can you convert to LED bulbs?
Hi Jim!

I tried a variety of different headlights in search of good local and highway lighting without having a negative impact on oncoming traffic (hate those blinding lights) and finally settled on a set of impressive Fahren Forenner LEDs recommended by other Fanatics. More here:

Per @BlueStreak, Dicktator’s DIY is a great place to start.

Using the search (top of every page) will come up with a lot of threads as well. Probably sort them by date to get the most current info.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

·
SSR Believer
4,136 Posts
No need to remove the wheels. Just turn them inward (full stop right/left) to reach the removable panel in the fender liner. Repeat for the other side. If you feel like going underneath they can actually be reached from there as well.

·
Registered
2003 & 2004 Black SSR
166 Posts
My 02 cents on the Led Upgrade
1. Led did improve visibility and as an added bonus I get to run the fog lights because, I like the look with them on
2. So I plan to use the low beams in the city but, not on the highway
3. Running the high beams still provides me with more visibility

With all that being said: (Seallight)
1. Has anyone used these for the highbeams????
2. I live in California, so far all the SSR Family members that are up against deer, elk, etc...I strongly recommend running the highbeams on the open roads and even better if they are Led
3. Has anyone already added Led to all the front lights??? High/Low/Fogs????
4. Thank you all for you do and the improvements we all get to enjoy.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
My hi and low beams are LED, the fogs are HID. The difference is like "day and night". My fogs are my day time running lights.
All other lights have been converted to LED.
Jack

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
My 02 cents on the Led Upgrade
1. Led did improve visibility and as an added bonus I get to run the fog lights because, I like the look with them on
2. So I plan to use the low beams in the city but, not on the highway
3. Running the high beams still provides me with more visibility

With all that being said: (Seallight)
1. Has anyone used these for the highbeams????
2. I live in California, so far all the SSR Family members that are up against deer, elk, etc...I strongly recommend running the highbeams on the open roads and even better if they are Led
3. Has anyone already added Led to all the front lights??? High/Low/Fogs????
4. Thank you all for you do and the improvements we all get to enjoy.
Prado,
I’ve never been happy with the SSR high or low beam headlight output. I switched from stock bulbs to Sylvania ZXE bulbs for both high and low beam when I bought my SSR in 2013. The ZXE’s were a big improvement and I drove with them until last year when I switched to LEDs for both high and low beams.

I first tried the Sealight brand, but wasn’t impressed with them. They put out whiter light, but for me, the beam pattern and spread, wasn’t any better than the ZXEs, and distance actually seemed less. I returned the Sealight’s and did some research on LED bulbs. Here’s a good place to start, and there are several good YouTube videos out there which compare bulb brands and explain what to look for: BulbFacts | Aftermarket LED Kits Chart - Comparing to Halogen in Reflector Headlights & Foglights
Long story short, I purchased Auxbeam F16 style bulbs, and was happy with the low beam pattern, color and distance. The high beam output was also noticeably better, but I still wasn’t thrilled with them.

On a recent trip through Oregon and Washington driving some dark forest roads at night, I accidentally discovered using the headlight “flash” feature made a huge difference in forward lighting. I realized when the high beam headlights are normally activated, the low beam headlights drop out. When the “flash” feature is used, the low beam headlights remain on…huge difference!

Since that trip, I studied the headlight wiring diagram, measured amperage draws and heat output at the headlight lens(es) to find a way to keep the low beam headlights on when the high beams are normally activated.

Using a standard automotive relay and some fuse taps in the under hood fuse box, here’s what I came up with. The fix fits neatly under the inner fuse box cover, can be removed in seconds and it works great.

Here in California, only four white lights may be lighted to the front of a vehicle at one time. Additionally, auxiliary driving lights and fog lights cannot be on when high beams are in use. This fix complies with these requirements.
Electrical wiring Audio equipment Electronic engineering Electronic component Cable

·
Registered
2003 & 2004 Black SSR
166 Posts
Prado,
I’ve never been happy with the SSR high or low beam headlight output. I switched from stock bulbs to Sylvania ZXE bulbs for both high and low beam when I bought my SSR in 2013. The ZXE’s were a big improvement and I drove with them until last year when I switched to LEDs for both high and low beams.

I first tried the Sealight brand, but wasn’t impressed with them. They put out whiter light, but for me, the beam pattern and spread, wasn’t any better than the ZXEs, and distance actually seemed less. I returned the Sealight’s and did some research on LED bulbs. Here’s a good place to start, and there are several good YouTube videos out there which compare bulb brands and explain what to look for: BulbFacts | Aftermarket LED Kits Chart - Comparing to Halogen in Reflector Headlights & Foglights
Long story short, I purchased Auxbeam F16 style bulbs, and was happy with the low beam pattern, color and distance. The high beam output was also noticeably better, but I still wasn’t thrilled with them.

On a recent trip through Oregon and Washington driving some dark forest roads at night, I accidentally discovered using the headlight “flash” feature made a huge difference in forward lighting. I realized when the high beam headlights are normally activated, the low beam headlights drop out. When the “flash” feature is used, the low beam headlights remain on…huge difference!

Since that trip, I studied the headlight wiring diagram, measured amperage draws and heat output at the headlight lens(es) to find a way to keep the low beam headlights on when the high beams are normally activated.

Using a standard automotive relay and some fuse taps in the under hood fuse box, here’s what I came up with. The fix can be removed in seconds and it works great.

Here in California, only four white lights may be lighted to the front of a vehicle at one time. Additionally, auxiliary driving lights and fog lights cannot be on when high beams are in use. This fix complies with these requirements. View attachment 624115
Thank you.
I park In a truck yard for work, so I'm always on the lookout for nails and debris.
This is great news for me.

·
SSR Believer
4,136 Posts
Prado,

Using a standard automotive relay and some fuse taps in the under hood fuse box, here’s what I came up with. The fix can be removed in seconds and it works great.

Here in California, only four white lights may be lighted to the front of a vehicle at one time. Additionally, auxiliary driving lights and fog lights cannot be on when high beams are in use. This fix complies with these requirements. View attachment 624115
That's really interesting Dennis. (y) I installed the Auxbeams as well... the "go-to" at the time, and the low beams were a huge improvement over the OEMs. However wasn't happy with the Auxbeam high beam's light distance either. They were better than OEM, but not by a lot. I remember pulling the stalk back; hitting the "flash" and noticing the same thing... much improved distance, but it's tough to drive down the road like that.;)

Ultimately, per my earlier post, I replaced the Auxbeams with Farhren LEDs. The low beams are about equal to the Auxbeams (very good), but the Farhren high beams made a huge difference! Much brighter and the distance is an order of magnitude greater. No fan noise either.

I'm happy with my current setup, but for S's and G's I might give your neat little hack a try to see what happens.

Oh, I'm sure you're on it, but for anyone that follows, be sure to install the high beam LED vertically as shown in the picture below. Makes a big difference as well. (The Auxbeams made that difficult, but the Farhren's are adjustable, so no problem.)

Appreciate the tip!

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
Red 2004
51 Posts
just a heads up on Auxbeam. If you order from Amazon ETC. no problem, but if you order from factory site, they are shipped from China and takes forever. No warning on site that will take longer (I assumed normal week or less, but has been almost 2 weeks & no final date yet provided, says in transit). I really like their stuff, but 1st time did not order thru Amazon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts