Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a later model radio / stereo will fit in a 2006 SSR? Maybe one with Navigation and / or Bluetooth capability?

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
If you put radio in the search function at the top of the page it will give you numerous threads about people who have upgraded their radios to new units with Bluetooth, Sat-navigation, XM radio and backup cameras.

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
Take care! SSR Radio is part of our Security System. We have Multi-Plex wiring.

Be sure installer KNOWS what they are doing.

Dicktator
Never thought about that when we had our XM/Sirius installed. It'l be 9 years in September since we had ours changed out. Have had no trouble, so I guess the "tech" did it right. They did want extra money to hook it up through the steering wheel and I said "No" I have no trouble reaching the channel buttons.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Never thought about that when we had our XM/Sirius installed. It'l be 9 years in September since we had ours changed out. Have had no trouble, so I guess the "tech" did it right. They did want extra money to hook it up through the steering wheel and I said "No" I have no trouble reaching the channel buttons.

Me too!! I put in my JVC unit right after I bought the R two years ago, not giving any thought to "security". But like TNdog, everything in my R is working including the steering wheel controls. Just need to do some research and find the best for you application. The hardest part is taking the darn airbag out of the passenger side the first time. After that, when you eliminate 2 screws permanently it is easy to remove the airbag. I had to do it twice as I was not happy with my first head unit (Sony).

·
Madtym
52 Posts
Make sure you also include a back-up camera! Really made an improvement in mine. Also, I would agree that a professional installation is worth it. There are some good diy videos, but you better be ready for several hours of figuring out the right wires to use.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I had a Kenwood DNX893s installed because it had Garmin with a TadiBrothers Backup Camera in my 2005. The TadiBrothers mounts on the license plate frame with no drilling. You can search for the forum entry that shows how to do the wiring with no drilling. Everything works perfectly even the Steering Wheel Buttons.
I have an extra Wiring Harness for sale here, wired correctly.. I forgot that I had already bought one.
Go to Crutchfield and put in your specs to show everything that will fit.
You will be very happy that you did this.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Make sure you also include a back-up camera! Really made an improvement in mine. Also, I would agree that a professional installation is worth it. There are some good diy videos, but you better be ready for several hours of figuring out the right wires to use.
if you get the right wire harness (one for the radio and one for the steering wheel controls) then it really is not much work except for the air bag thing. Just have to think it thru before you begin. My backup camera also has a sensor that beeps when approaching objects, ran the little beeper part into the cab when I ran the video cable. Mounted center with the plate on top.

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
RadAirAndy, Glad you're enjoying your "new" SSR and really appreciate you purchasing all those extra SSR parts from "purple flash" in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. Did you get the Wind Screen, Electric SSR Light and Dash Cover ??? I told Jim to let you have them if you "twisted his arm" tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Sound System

Andy,
Welcome and hope you are enjoying the Permagrin this weekend. I had a Pioneer unit installed at Best Buy. All the bells and whistles. Wanted Bluetooth, Apple Play (Gives you navigation and other Apps), Back up camera, and good sounds. Got them all. As others have said, will require an installation adapter, a wiring harness to connect and an additional harness to sync up with your steering wheel controls. Requires taking apart the dash and removing the passenger side air bag. Resisted replacing the stock speakers - they already are good.
If you go this route, travel to their locations near you and speak to a manager and shake hands with their "Geek Squad" installer. Ask them to match an on line sales price. Compared to Amazon right there and got me a whopping discount. I wound up going to a BB further from my home because the manager and installer were willing to work with me and appeared knowledgeable. Overall looks like it came from the factory, updates the 2000 era Dolby, and enhances the Permagrin!
Go for it.
Boomer Bob :ssr

·
Super Moderator
14,052 Posts
Another word of caution
Having looked at thousands of SSR for sale ads I have seen a lot with aftermarket radio components.
Many of those look like the airbag cover was removed with a can opener - possibly the DIY ones
I should keep an example picture, next time I run across one, but it would drive me nuts having a warped cover protruding at various points

·
Registered
605 Posts
Another word of caution
Having looked at thousands of SSR for sale ads I have seen a lot with aftermarket radio components.
Many of those look like the airbag cover was removed with a can opener - possibly the DIY ones
I should keep an example picture, next time I run across one, but it would drive me nuts having a warped cover protruding at various points
while I am sure the can opener comment is true one good thing about DYI is you can TAKE YOUR TIME. An installer very well may have never worked on an R before and he has a time line to adhere to. We also ave the reference here that the god Dicktator has given us https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5 to refer to as dive into these projects. Also not sure if outside installers would be required to replace those 2 screws that we all leave off when putting back the airbag as they are not really needed and make future work much easier.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Reactions: mtr317
134 Posts
Take it to any audio dealership. Dont try and do it yourself.
The guys do installs everyday. Doing an R is no different then
any other vehicle. Plus...you have to remove the dash for
the install, which is the hardest part of the whole install.

Get a double din....it should have a 7" screen, and come
with more bells and whistles then you will ever use.

OH...one other thing. If your going to spend $$$ on a system,
put in a good alarm system. I prefer Viper. It has blue tooth
compatibility, and you can check on your "R" from your iphone.
anytime, and anywhere.
Frank..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Radio

Does anyone know if a later model radio / stereo will fit in a 2006 SSR? Maybe one with Navigation and / or Bluetooth capability?
The Pioneer AVH-1330NE is a Pioneer 6.2" Apple/Android Car Play, built in blue tooth. With all the cables, interfaces, etc to allow steering wheel control the cost would be 490.96 before taxes from Best Buy. They had a special where install was free and I don't know if it is still in effect.

If it isn't the install will be about $100 or so. If you want a back up camera it would be another $150 or so.

This quote was from Best Buy Locally here in Florida.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
I had people for that

I had mine done almost five years ago primarily for the back up camera as I have grandchildren around often. The unit was wired to the steering wheel controls and also had the backup camera. It also has blue tooth and is Sirius XM ready. I did not do the Sirius/XM since I let that lapse in my Silverado. I paid $100 for the total installation, but paid more up front for the unit than what I could have gotten on line and the harness for the steering wheel was extra.

I am thinking of upgrading to a unit that is three camera ready. My daughter has three on her Honda and I like it. A forward camera would be great for parking with the low front.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Alot of good info here. It's good to know that I can also do the backup camera. I've had the 360 monitor with XM, navigation, etc.. and was thinking it would be nice to at least have a backup camera with the XM/nav.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Apple or Google

I might also suggest Apple play or Google play at this time. Most manufacturers offer this on at least some of these models.

IMO

Dave

·
Registered
201 Posts
About just what can you estimate for just the infotainment with Nav & bluetooth installation? I realize the purchase would depend on the model but just need an idea on installation costs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts