Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I changed the original radio on my ‘04 to a double din 6.2 Sony touchscreen with backup camera (XAVAX1000). The first Sony radio stared having problems a week after getting it installed at Best Buy. The volume would change on its own and sometimes there was a crackling sound. I returned it and bought a new one of the same model. The second one started with the same sound problems 3 weeks after installation. Any suggestions on what can be causing this?

The original radio has no problem but I wanted a backup camera and an auxiliary connection. (Newer iPods are not compatible with the Bluetooth on new radios).

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
29,113 Posts
@BlueStreak might get you in contact with another Fanatic. 👍🇺🇸🤠
Not sure what I can bring to the table. I have the original radio in both of my trucks and one is full of jammed CDs. Been waiting for the weather to cool so i can change the radio and then try to get is linked to the VIN so it will work. @Nessy I am in Pasadena if you want to send me a 'Conversation' with a phone number I will be happy to give you a call and see if there is anything I have to offer.

Reactions: nj6969

·
Premium Member
ROTM 2005 Redline Red .
6,023 Posts
Go straight back to Best Buy, tell them you want it replaced with a Pioneer

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow SSR
15 Posts
Does the fader work front to back? Depending on the harness they used that could be an issue. If it doesn't fade from to rear (it's most likely the rear that will not work, turn the fader to the rear and see if you have sound, then turn it all the way to the front). If no sound in one position take it back and have them re-wire using the radio amp for the door and the amp in the SSR for the rears (the factory Bose radio has no amp they are outside the head unit.

Also agree with pioneer or Kenwood (no jvc) Kenwood and jvc are the same company but they use their better parts in the Kenwood.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,612 Posts
Which interface unit was installed? If both head units have the same problem I would look at the interface unit that was used. Any brand of head unit should work fine, but if it was not installed correctly or there is a connection issue I could see that problem occurring.

Something like the PAC RP5-GM11 if you have Bose should have been used, but there are are a few other variations that could have been installed as well. This unit not only allows the steering wheel controls and other interfaces to work properly with an aftermarket radio, but also controls the amplifier interface which could be your problem.

Helpful Links
Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
SSR Technical Resource - Quick searchable help
Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo
Billet letters for tailgate and under hood

1 - 9 of 9 Posts