Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Have you replaced the lower shifter bushing already with the metal repair?

• Yes I had the lower replaced with the stainless repair and stainless bushing

Votes: 38 86.4%
  • no lower still has the plastic bushing

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I have replaced the lower with another plastic bushing or new cable

• yes lower replaced and upper has broke

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • upper broke but lower is original or replaced with plastic

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have noticed a couple people have had the upper shifter bushing break and have seen it in the past. It got me wondering a couple of things, so I figured I would do a poll. This one is to try to see if it shows any real information about a possible cause or not.

What I am wondering is if the cable is getting more vibration from the solid lower bushing and working the upper more now causing failure.

Could it be with the lower being more rigid with the harder bushing it puts more stress on the upper bushing now and causing them to break. If so maybe it would be a good idea to either replace the upper at the same time with a new plastic one to give it a fresh bushing to start with when you fix the lower?

Just a thought. If you don't mind saying how many miles were on the shifter cable when you replaced the lower if you remember and what was the mileage when the upper went out.

I have metal bushings on all three of my trucks and think they are a good idea. I am just wondering if it maybe causing vibration or more stress on the upper end of the cable.

What I am questioning is if the lower has been replaced and the upper broke?
If the upper has broke with the lower still being the plastic bushing?

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 16yrs. Start 9K, now 159K miles
13,882 Posts
The Lower Shift Cable has nylon tube "over" the "T" nut.

It is not a solid but is more positive and a long lasting fix.

Shift Cable fits shift lever hole without any modification or drilling.

My R has had "fix" for about 14 yrs.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,882 Posts
right now I'm trying to figure out how to press in the upper without taking the whole console apart. I quit for the afternoon and started drinking. 🍻
I drank some on that job also.

I did take console apart.

No easy way to "press Upper" bushing in.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Dicktator How long was your lower fixed before the upper broke do you think? I don't think the upper is a heat issue like the lower, but an age issue and use issue. Wondering if the lower being more of a positive connection could put extra vibration thus wear on the upper. Just thinking out loud here and wondering if there is an established pattern to it. It may not have anything to do with each other but thought if others would put in their input it would help us all.

·
Registered
2004 UV
1,421 Posts
Replaced the lower bushing right after I bought the truck per Dicktators recommendation, after he had his upper bushing break I had mine done and glad I did as it was brittle and came apart when they tried to remove it. Mileage on truck maybe 30-33,000 my feelings are between the age of (04) truck and heat in the upper console from tranny is what is causing the bushings to break.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
So if it was heat, the heat tranfer source is likely to be the linkage? The previous owner had already replaced the lower bushing with the nut and bolt fix. Did that cause additional heat transfer from the converter through the linkage connector? The discoloration in the pieces is equal throughout and when it failed it shattered. My SSR has 12k mile on it. I believe it's age and a problem with the material Chevy used.

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,882 Posts
Somewhere around 2009, Jeffanatic called said he couldn't shift. We made a shift kit. Bushing fell apart in our hand.
Jeff/Tina only did short runs around town, so we concluded that idling, HEAT caused bushing to "dry" out and crumple.

Sit at light, or in traffic or just idling concentrates the most heat for our Catalytic Converters which are only 3 or so inches away and 1800 degrees!

Vibration, not, cable is spring loaded at cable, shift arm connection.

Now this is just a reasonable deduction on our part, plus 16yrs of experience. Not in any GM Book.

Mike sells the shift kit to many, many models of GM.

Picture
1. Spring in cable for vibration.
2. Right side with shield, catalytic converter.

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,882 Posts
Now Upper Shift Cable. Again, not in any GM book but HEAT from transmission, I believe, causes UPPER bushing to fail and of course age. How can you tell? crab your shift lever while driving, HOT!

AFTER I changed my upper bushing I changed my transmission oil to synthetic and transmission temperature dropped 10 degrees.

My auxiliary gauges show transmission temp the same as radiator coolant temp.

Trans temp reads 210, same as engine. With synthetic!

But it will still get OLD! I know I did.

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,636 Posts
I really don't think vibration transfers from the lower connection because of the plastic end at the shifter arm and the, flexible, cable that goes to the console shifter. Age probably number one reason. Surely heat from the heater outlet duct would be hot enough to affect it ?!

Nick

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
When changing the upper... I pulled center plate, like Dicktator shows. Then start truck .. parking brake set. Foot on break.. pull shift cable out ... which put in 1st... then you have room to replace grommet .. push cable back... Connect shifter.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When changing the upper... I pulled center plate, like Dicktator shows. Then start truck .. parking brake set. Foot on break.. pull shift cable out ... which put in 1st... then you have room to replace grommet .. push cable back... Connect shifter.
What are your thoughts on what's causing them to give up the ghost? I am sure you have replace more than your share.

·
Premium Member
2006 Automatic
970 Posts
When I saw that Dicktator had problems with his upper bushing I went out and purchased a new one for the top.
I installed it without taking the console out. I just removed the shifter and cover and did it. As I recall it was a task to insert the bushing but I got it done.
I carry a new bushing in my spares kit.

I replaced the lower bushing shortly after purchasing the truck along with radiator support and other good to do things.

·
Daily Driver
9,282 Posts
If the shifter to trans linkage was like a stick shift if could transfer vibration, But I doubt the automatic cable could do that. However, experience has shown strange things can and do happen with cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
my upper cable just came off. Removed the console and the is bad.

Where can I can a bushing for the upper?.

Also I got the top part of the center console off (the painted part of the center console) but I can not get the lower part of the center console off ( the black part of the console).

Any suggestions.

Raymond

·
SSR Believer
2,810 Posts
my upper cable just came off. Removed the console and the is bad.

Where can I can a bushing for the upper?.

Also I got the top part of the center console off (the painted part of the center console) but I can not get the lower part of the center console off ( the black part of the console).

Any suggestions.

Raymond
Hi Raymond,

The upper transmission shifter bushing is Dorman part number 14055. Available at most auto parts stores or online.

There are a couple of ways to replace it. The part below the center console/shifter plate is called the waterfall. That part starts between the seats and goes all the way down to the carpet (and meets the floor gauge cluster if you have it). See post #6 above.

However you don't have to remove the waterfall to change the bushing. DIY instructions from @Dicktator can be found here (look for "UPPER SHIFT BUSHING"):

Or here:

Font Gadget Machine Electronic device Wood

1 - 20 of 23 Posts