Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to add a USB charger. I figured the Gallons Per Hour gauge was useless so I used the hole from the gauge. While the floor gauges were out I trimmed the padding under the carpet. My ash tray now opens a little farther.
I noticed the hole was about the size of a sprinkler head. I trimmed some of the ribs off the side and it fit the hole near perfect. The charger also fit in the hole of the sprinkler head. I used a dremel tool to trim the ribs and sand the “Orbit” off the head.
the Owner’s Manual said the power ports on either side of the ash tray would turn off after fifteen minutes so I robbed power from the one on the passenger side. The Owner’s Manual was wrong, it is always powered. I
may need to find another power source in case I forget to turn the charger off.
Pic showing trimmed ribs I tried to form a ramp with an indent to hold the charger in place.
D31C8763-654F-4C9F-AC13-55BCA04AF4E4.jpeg

Sanded face
2E5E3B13-B97D-4DD5-A5BC-AEB6ED734073.jpeg

Finished install. It no longer has the brushed aluminum bezel. But it is far enough under the dash that it is hard to see.

I can replace the GPH gauge any time

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,280 Posts
You might want to check out this thread for how to repower the aux ports for switched power.

Reactions: richsadams

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,053 Posts
Could you not have used the power wire for the GPH Gauge light to power the USB port?

Nick

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You might want to check out this thread for how to repower the aux ports for switched power.
Thank you. I had forgotten about that thread.
Could you not have used the power wire for the GPH Gauge light to power the USB port?

Nick
Good idea. My pea brain didn’t think about the light. Didn’t want to mess up anything on the circuit board for the gauges. But the light may be powered by the wire that goes straight to the gauge and not the circuit board. Don’t know how many amps that wire can provide.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,053 Posts
I don't think the USB would draw too much for the wire, but @Autoprof would know :cool:

Nick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts