Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or should I say the "lack thereof?" I have a new 05 ordered (under no obligation to take it.) So thought I would "test the waters" and speak to the wholesaler about the value of an 04 trade in with most options. He said that 5 had been through the Dallas auction (some with less than my 3800 miles) and only one had brought $31,000. The others brought $30,000. That is a far cry less than I paid for it 6 months ago! Why the hey would I want another one if they lose $12000 in six months? Anybody going to the DFW event this weekend? I am signed up for it.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No invite yet!

wildcat66 said:
I am going to be there. Have you recieved your invite from the GM rep? Looking forward to seeing you again.
Hi there! No invite yet. They did call me last week and asked for an email addy. I assume that it will come through the email. Hope to see you there. Take care. Don

·
Registered
421 Posts
You are not alone. I purchased a 2004 SSR for $46,800 on 04/29/2004; put 12,000 miles on it; and traded it in for $29,500 on 10/15/2004.

But I enjoy the new 2005 SSR very much. I figure that great depreciation would be $6,000 and a brand new LS2 crate engine would be at least $8,000. So, there you go.

The problem is that dog of a 5.3 litre engine GM put in the 03 and 04. Nobody wants it.

:seeya

·
Administrator
8,206 Posts
Dog????

matjow said:
.... The problem is that dog of a 5.3 litre engine GM put in the 03 and 04. Nobody wants it.

:seeya
Let me preface my comments below by saying that in no way am I trying make fun of or belittle anyone for their reasons and decisions for trading in their SSRs. For as we all know money issues and interests vary dramatically for everyone.

I have been following the SSR threads on trade-ins for some time now with a lot of interest. I have been watching to see how many are actually trading/ dumping their SSRs just to get into a 05 to have a few more HP. It is no secret that we all had hoped that the 5.3 L would have been the 6.0 L from the get go however; to say a 5.3 L is a dog is not accurate at all to me. Yes, I have driven a 05 and it is definitely quicker but to say it is worth $14,000+ more than a 04 is totally absurd! 99.9 % of the populace won't even know that you have an 05 let alone the fact it is an 6.0L vs. a 5.3L. What I have observed and also what other SSR owners comments on here that have driven the 05s and some now that own a 05 also have agreed that the engine and exhaust sounds of the 03-04 are indeed much more throatier than the newer ones. So again to the average onlooker who will be observing the SSRs are they really going to notice that you are driving a 05 and further more can they really distinguish that it is going to be quicker too?

Which leads me to another question, what was true essence or concept of the SSR anyways? A Boulevard Cruiser that would be tons of fun to drive, so then was it really meant to be a dragster too? I really think not! So I ask this enlighten question, "Where are you going with all this extra torque and horsepower?" Racing a Corvette or someone's Mustang down the boulevard? It is a dilemma that all of us here have to ask ourselves… is trading in a 03-04 really worth the extra $10,000.00 - $14,000.00+? Obviously to some of us on here it if truth be told, frankly it isn’t.

·
Premium Member
9,218 Posts
I agree - after close to 20000 miles, I can count on one hand the times I could possibly have taken advantage of more horsepower, and even then, at the risk of a ticket or worse. Plus, I'm an old dude, and the last thing I need is to look like an idiot tromping on the go fast pedal. At the price of the rubber we're running, Idon't need to leave them behind on the street just to impress someone I don't know, and have everyone else shaking their heads, wondering who the brainless one is.

I love the cruising, and more power wouldn't make a damned bit of difference for that.

The only reason I would change, is my love of shifting gears, and possibly the bragging rights of saying I have a covette LS2 under the hood.

Ray

·
Premium Member
9,218 Posts
In Flagstaff

Hey, Peaches - looks like you're still on the site.

I'm in Flagstaff- at the Hilton Garden Inn. I'm just headed out to McDonalds to get my wife some coffee, back about 8:30 - probably rolling towards Phoneix about 10:00

Hotel number is 928-226-8888, we're in room 306. SSR is parked on the side.

Ray

·
Registered
152 Posts
Trade Values

:nono
First, a reality check:

> The SSr is a wonderful and fun vehicle albeit quite impractical for most of us on a day to day basis (although a buddy in La Jolla is using his as a daily driver and has for the past 18 months or so and loves it). This impractical aspect of things detracts from 'value' and is why the the values are so low relative to 12 months ago; :banghead
> The transaction price in an open market defines economic value. New, well equiped, '04 SSr's are now selling at in the order of $35-37k while many dealers will market a new '05 for $500 to 1000 above 'dead cost' or in the order of $43-45k;
> one can approximate the market in used by taking the appropriate depreciation (i.e. about 15-20%) off of the above..... :sleep

VALUE
A first series SSR (03/04), in good-excellent condition and on the road for a year or so should bring $28-32k. :cheers

I agree with Marc about the LS2 et cetera; The 5.3L is not a dog and $10k plus is a lot to pay for the LS2 and decent prop rods. In fact, I believe, Chevrolet should continue to offer the 5.3L as a delete for credit option. Note that it runs on regular (87) as opposed to >91octance that the LS2 requires and does have good torque to boot.

Further, most poeple that bought the 03/04 have taken excellent care of their SSr's such that the used SSr's are a great buy used at the $30-32k range. Any more than that get a new one for $35k in Orchard Park N.Y. from Jason!

:party

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
I agree

:agree No need for more H.P. I'll keep my "dog" seeing as how he doesn't cost as much to feed and he is man's best friend.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
value

Freezer's got it right. If you want a major muscle car - check out the Ford GT for about $300K. This is a styllized hot rod - most of them were made to cruise the boulevard and a very few got involved in racing "off the line. Calling the 5.3 a "dog" is like calling Sandra Bullock a pig compared to Britanny Spears - Neither is right and both will get you into an argument purely based on subjectivity. (My vote's on Bullock).

·
Registered
371 Posts
Marc, ever thought of running for president? :cheers I couldn't have said it any better! I love my '04 and while some may consider the 5.3 a dog, mine can outrun a lot of cats! :lol

·
Registered
421 Posts
:cry

Sorry gentlemen! I didn't mean to hit a sore spot. I also had a 2004 SSR with a 5.3 litre that I took a $16,000 bath on. But, to me, the 2005 was worth every penny. To others, it obviously won't be. But that's what makes our country great - individual opinions and freedom. But Chevy made the upgrade for a reason - owner surveys had a majority of owners asking for some more power. My gas mileage on the 04 was about 17.5. On the 05, it's 16.7. Not too bad for the extra power.

As far as no one being able to tell the difference - you're right. But I didn't buy my SSR to impress anyone but myself. I could care less if some dude on the street thinks I have an 03, an 04, or an 05.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Marc,
I totally agree with you!
I haven't had my SSR long, but I really LOVE IT, even if it is an '04.
I took advantage of the 0% interest offer. Paid almost sticker, but
who knew that the prices would be coming down so drastically; and
in fact in my area of the country (South Georgia), these dealers are still holding
out for sticker.
Anyway, thanks for your comments! You said it perfectly! :agree

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,128 Posts
I just went through KBB.com and edmunds.com. Neither one has used prices for the 04 but used prices for the 03 are a lot higher than what you guys are coming up with for trade ins. Seeing how they are selling at somewhat giveaway prices on the 04s I wonder when the two sites will catch up to real pricing. They show new 04s to be about 1500 under MSRP in this area.
Now there is one dealer locally advertising at least $4000 over KBB on any trade. Hmmm

Buying anything is a matter of both parties being happy with the deal. Whatever you wind up paying for the SSR, as long as you are happy, it is worth it. We all come from different backgrounds and different financial levels. To some taking a $15000 hit on a trade is pocket change, to others its a lot of money. I was fortunate to have the dealer take the brunt of the first year hit on mine. All cars drop as soon as you take them off the lot. If you plan on replacing a car every six months you must know you will be taking a sizable hit on a trade. Keeping the SSR for a long time will bring the average annual cost down and if I still have it 20 years from now maybe pricing will start to go up again on the used price. Whatever the long term cost is it is well worth the fun I am having!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts