Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are making a run to Key West next week from the West Coast of FL to the East. We have made the trip several times using Alligator Alley, but I was looking at maybe this time to cruise 41 instead.

Any one have any comments or thoughts about cruising 41 to the East?

T
:black:

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
We are making a run to Key West next week from the West Coast of FL to the East. We have made the trip several times using Alligator Alley, but I was looking at maybe this time to cruise 41 instead.

T
Personally I choose Alligator Alley, took the 41 twice to Miami and found it very hard to pass due to slower traffic and few passing lanes.

·
Proud Original Owner
18,156 Posts

T
Terry, we took 41 several years ago and almost had the road all to ourselves.
This was in June and there was very little traffic. Could be more traffic in winter with snowbirds though. Road was in good shape for a 2-lane.

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts

T
Can't remember what if any Citrus or Sugar Cane is being harvested now. If you see a lot of Farm equipment passing might be a problem. Also watch out for Mating Gators or wild Hogs.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I took 41 about a month ago. If you are in no rush, go ahead and do it. If you want to make time, I would avoid it. There were a couple of speed traps in the first 30 miles and there were limited places to pass.

-Fred

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,736 Posts
US 41 is not the relatively smooth, wide and fast I-75. You'll first off notice the rolling pavement and may enjoy the slower pace of traffic (if you're not in a hurry). There are numerous indian encampments/villages on the road with some having cultural exhibits if you wish to learn a little more about the area and its original inhabitants. Think of it as a little reminder of old Florida.

I haven't been on it in 2 or 3 years so hopefully it hasn't changed that much and you'll enjoy it.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We leave in the morning for Key West and we have decided to try 41 on the southbound portion of the trip for a change.

Thanks to the comments from fellow members.

Since we are not on a time schedule to arrive in KW but we are on a schedule to return, along with suggestions from fellow members, along with the weather forecast on our return date we thought this would be a good time to experience 'old school' Florida.

More later,
Terry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts