Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Just wondering how many Fanatics keep their hitch installed to protect the rear-end ?

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,222 Posts
I doubt it would do much good, especially with all the trucks nowadays that ride so high, but it is on there on mine too just in case of a little bump that hopefully will never happen.

·
Slingshot Rules!
71,427 Posts
Hi All
Just wondering how many Fanatics keep their hitch installed to protect the rear-end ?
ME, Shakatak . . .

A few years ago, after being "gently rear-ended" at a traffic light while in The Bummer (1986 CJ-7) by a Cellphone Chatty Cathy in a new Lexus SUV, I am convinced of the Trailer Hitch Advantage.

Thanks to the hitch, she had lots of damage to the front end, grille, radiator, etc that required a Tow Truck while not a single scratch on The Bummer. Even the Cop doing the accident report was surprised and impressed.

From that day forward, the Hitch stays on both The Bummer and The Doophus at all times in spite of nothing to tow.

! :surprise: ! :glol ! :surprise: ! :glol ! :surprise: !

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,351 Posts
I do have one on each truck and the Envoy. The one on Del is a recent addition so I do not have to move the hitch from one truck to the other. I sometimes forget to move little things and that is one that I forgot once and got a new backup light assembly from the other guys insurance. Now I do not have to remember to move it.

Reactions: shakatak

·
Registered
547 Posts
I keep my hitch installed along with a step. Will not help in a high speed collision but will help minimize or eliminate damage in a low speed crash
Step and a hitch, haven't seen that combo before. Like the mudflaps too, nicely done :silver:.

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
1,735 Posts
After being rear ended twice I started keeping the hitch in place. We were rear ended in the Kia last week. Guess who is installing a trailer hitch as soon as it gets fixed.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Here is a funny one for you. Illinois passed a law, a couple of years ago that you can not leave your receiver hitch in when not towing a trailer. They said it was to protect others walking by the vehicle. Now with our hitches I wonder if they would say it is a receiver type hitch and say you are not supposed to leave it in? I did a random survey of the trucks in the parking lot at my old place of work and there were more with them in than with out usually. My thought was always if you are that close to the back of my truck that you ran into my hitch, you were too close.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,351 Posts
Here is a funny one for you. Illinois passed a law, a couple of years ago that you can not leave your receiver hitch in when not towing a trailer. They said it was to protect others walking by the vehicle. Now with our hitches I wonder if they would say it is a receiver type hitch and say you are not supposed to leave it in? I did a random survey of the trucks in the parking lot at my old place of work and there were more with them in than with out usually. My thought was always if you are that close to the back of my truck that you ran into my hitch, you were too close.
The nice part is that it does not look like a receiver hitch on the SSR.

Reactions: shakatak

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
Somebody had a picture on here once where someone had modified a chrome tube truck type step...and it replaced the ball setup but still fit between the exhaust tips...

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,736 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how to mount a bicycle carrier to the hitch setup we have. I'm thinking of hitting a junkyard, sawing off the receiver part from a hitch and mounting it beneath our hitch with u-clamps. I know it would look a little shade tree but if it works what the hey. Maybe if I paint it the color of the R it'll look factory! LOL

Dave

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
hitch

Yes, the hitch is in all the time. If someone hits their shin, tough crap. As someone else said, you are too close to my truck.
Guzzi Guy, you can fab up a bike bracket to mount in the ball hole. It would look great.

·
Slingshot Rules!
71,427 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how to mount a bicycle carrier to the hitch setup we have. I'm thinking of hitting a junkyard, sawing off the receiver part from a hitch and mounting it beneath our hitch with u-clamps. I know it would look a little shade tree but if it works what the hey. Maybe if I paint it the color of the R it'll look factory! LOL

Dave
Here ya go, Dave . . .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swagman-64095-2-Bike-Carrier/162833878829?hash=item25e9a7cf2d:g:nFoAAOSwySlaTOvl&vxp=mtr

I've had this particular Brand / Model for a few years . . . there are others. Clamps on top of a standard Hitch using the Ball as the bolt. Works great for short trips in The Bummer.

Never tried it with The Doophus.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Hi All
Well I have for a decade now. Not so much for collisions but for backing into spaces in the parking garage. I could never tell where the back end was in relationship to garage wall. Even after adding a backup camera telling the differences between gray concrete floor and gray concrete walls to gain prospective was difficult. Hence I found that tapping the hitch against the wall was better than the bumper hitting the wall.

Now that I have retired and no longer use the parking garage at work, I still keep it mounted.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,736 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts