Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2003 5.3L V8, purchased in 2022 with 16,000 original miles. I am the second owner.
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Does any body use trickle chargers on there SSR while being parked for long periods of times?
How are you doing it? And can I just go off the red jumper box under the hood?

Thank you.

·
Slingshot Rules!
86,937 Posts

The Doophus has been "hooked up" to a DelTran Battery Tender Plus whenever in the garage since shortly after Day One.

By using the optional plug via one of the AUX Plugs on the dash . . . much easier to hook up each time plus much less likely to forget and drive off while still hooked up.

So far, I figure it has more than doubled the life of the battery. Good Luck.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,868 Posts
Use a Battery Tender but do not leave a trickle charger hooked up for a long period of time. It will kook your battery. A Battery Tender goes to float when the battery is fully charged. A trickle charger never shuts down. Just some advice. I hooked mine in the rear area on the right side there is a place to plug it in. Whenever not driving it is always plugged in and battery is always fully charged. Good luck.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,971 Posts
I have used a Battery Tender brand since 2004 and it has worked great! BTW: The only issue I have encountered was on a couple of startups I forgot to unplug the the tender and started backing out of the garage. When I heard the noises of the battery tender moving, I stopped immediately and of course moved back inside to then go back to the rear of the truck to unplug it from the accessory port by the upper tailgate. Hmmmm I really should put a note on my dash to help remind me that it is there. :p

·
Registered
2003 5.3L V8, purchased in 2022 with 16,000 original miles. I am the second owner.
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Doophus has been "hooked up" to a DelTran Battery Tender Plus whenever in the garage since shortly after Day One.

By using the optional plug via one of the AUX Plugs on the dash . . . much easier to hook up each time plus much less likely to forget and drive off while still hooked up.

So far, I figure it has more than doubled the life of the battery. Good Luck.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !
Hi Doophus,
Are the Aux plugs hot with the key off, out of town, not there to check it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Use a Battery Tender but do not leave a trickle charger hooked up for a long period of time. It will kook your battery. A Battery Tender goes to float when the battery is fully charged. A trickle charger never shuts down. Just some advice. I hooked mine in the rear area on the right side there is a place to plug it in. Whenever not driving it is always plugged in and battery is always fully charged. Good luck.
I have used a Battery Tender brand since 2004 and it has worked great! BTW: The only issue I have encountered was on a couple of startups I forgot to unplug the the tender and started backing out of the garage. When I heard the noises of the battery tender moving, I stopped immediately and of course moved back inside to then go back to the rear of the truck to unplug it from the accessory port by the upper tailgate. Hmmmm I really should put a note on my dash to help remind me that it is there. :p
Hi Auggie,
So is that AUX port back there Hot with the key is turned off?

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,868 Posts

·
SSR Believer
3,503 Posts
Hello All,
Does any body use trickle chargers on there SSR while being parked for long periods of times?
How are you doing it? And can I just go off the red jumper box under the hood?

Thank you.
As Nick said, there are lots of posts on topic. Here are a couple of mine:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is the way to do it. Need to buy a cable that has the end on it that goes into the lighter socket.
Thank you, Appreciate your time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

1 - 20 of 36 Posts