Chevy SSR Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I have used a Battery Tender brand since 2004 and it has worked great! BTW: The only issue I have encountered was on a couple of startups I forgot to unplug the the tender and started backing out of the garage. When I heard the noises of the battery tender moving, I stopped immediately and of course moved back inside to then go back to the rear of the truck to unplug it from the accessory port by the upper tailgate. Hmmmm I really should put a note on my dash to help remind me that it is there. :p
I hook mine up in the engine compartment and leave the hood partially open to remind me it's there :sneaky:

·
Registered
OBNOXIOUS Red 2004
439 Posts
I use an interstate battery and had let it run down where it wouldn't start or jump. I use a Ctek tender with a restore function and it fixed my battery. I'd get one with that feature if you're looking.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
The Doophus has been "hooked up" to a DelTran Battery Tender Plus whenever in the garage since shortly after Day One.

By using the optional plug via one of the AUX Plugs on the dash . . . much easier to hook up each time plus much less likely to forget and drive off while still hooked up.

So far, I figure it has more than doubled the life of the battery. Good Luck.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !
I use same "tender" but use outlet in trunk...leave lid open..
trunk light go's out after a few minutes...definitely can't forget
to disconect...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello All,
Does any body use trickle chargers on there SSR while being parked for long periods of times?
How are you doing it? And can I just go off the red jumper box under the hood?

Thank you.
Hi Group,

Th e issue of trickle chargers over-charging your battery depends on what they do for a fully charged battery. The best commercial units actually shut off at full charge. The cheap ones keep going. The issue there is what voltage they charge up to. If they go to 13.8 volts or higher, they could boil away liquid in the battery. I usually build my own from old wall wart power sources and add a 3 terminal regulator that runs somewhere between 12.0 and 12.7 volts. On the cheap ones you can measure the voltage they go to in a fully charged battery and if too high add one or two diodes in series with the leads to the battery (0.7 to 1.0 volt per). So the first thing to do is see what voltage you get at full charge. FYI.

John

·
Registered
2003 5.3L V8, purchased in 2022 with 16,000 original miles. I am the second owner.
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The Doophus has been "hooked up" to a DelTran Battery Tender Plus whenever in the garage since shortly after Day One.

By using the optional plug via one of the AUX Plugs on the dash . . . much easier to hook up each time plus much less likely to forget and drive off while still hooked up.

Hi Doophus,

I keep a cover on my R do you keep the door close on the plug wire going to your AUX?

·
SSR Believer
3,491 Posts
Hi Doophus,

I keep a cover on my R do you keep the door close on the plug wire going to your AUX?
Normally I have the Deltran battery tender plugged into the bed outlet and leave the cover open. But when I know I'm not going to be driving it for a little while, or if I'm going to create some dust in the garage, I put one of Mike's car covers on. I close the bed cover and carefully run the cord from the tender out the side of the tailgate and close it. There's enough rubber seal to accommodate the cord no problem. I try not to leave it there that way too long and I choose different areas to rest the cord so the seals don't get deformed over time.

·
Registered
2003 5.3L V8, purchased in 2022 with 16,000 original miles. I am the second owner.
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Normally I have the Deltran battery tender plugged into the bed outlet and leave the cover open. But when I know I'm not going to be driving it for a little while, or if I'm going to create some dust in the garage, I put one of Mike's car covers on. I close the bed cover and carefully run the cord from the tender out the side of the tailgate and close it. There's enough rubber seal to accommodate the cord no problem. I try not to leave it there that way too long and I choose different areas to rest the cord so the seals don't get deformed over time.
Prefect this was another way I was thinking about doing it.
Thank you so much for all your information.

·
Premium Member
Blown 2003 No. 2924
962 Posts
I use a C Tek maintainer. I switched to that brand after watching a public service type video on YouTube by Jay Leno touting them. I tend to trust him as an expert. Someone I know recently suffered a fire destroying several collector cars, a couple of Harleys and his tools. He thought the fire may have been caused by a battery tender which he said was a “Mini.” The Mini is a smaller tender marketed by Deltran. Personally, I’m sticking to my C Tek.

·
Registered
2005 Slingshot Yellow
31 Posts
Hello All,
Does any body use trickle chargers on there SSR while being parked for long periods of times?

Thank you.
Yes indeed; this is the one I use on all three of my vehicles. I keep them on 24/7 when I don't move them. Works like a charm .. bought off of eBay, about $180.00.
I hook up the negative first to a post on the engine* and the positive to the nut on the positive cable; just open the red box that houses the + cable .. I tuck the unit
right there on the ledge at the red box .. perfect and no worries on having a dead battery. This is the one I buy; it's a good unit .. ( use the two clamp-on ends )
CTEK 7002 MULTI US 12V New Generation Smart Battery Charger Maintainer Tender ... Good Luck, bayukbros ... * ( just opposite the red box )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello All,

Thank you.
yes i use a trickle charger in winter but with a timer . I let it charge for two hours a day . it has worked for me for many years . I left it on fully on winter and lost the battery

·
Registered
2005 SSR, Silver with chrome wheels.
177 Posts
Thank you, Appreciate your time.
I have read all the advice you have been given, but I have a much better way to keep the battery fully charged. I drive my SSR if not every day, then every other day and the SSR charges itself. And that every day charge for my SSR charges ME as well. This seems like a much better to keep the SSR charged, can we agree on this point?

And if you don't have a place to go - - - make up a place you must go - - - then GO!

Street Rod Andy

·
R Gang
48 Posts
Hello All,

Thank you.
I've been using a battery tender since I bought it 5 years ago. Never a problem and battery always fully charged when I'm ready to use my R. (Not a daily driver) I just plug it into the power outlet under the dash but connecting to the terminal under the hood will work just as well. I also use battery tenders on my Honda and F150 when I'm not using them.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hello All,

Thank you.
Take the battery out of SSR & place the battery on wood off the concrete floor with a twinkle charger on it. NEVER use a twinkle charger with a battery in SSR. WHY? Electrical wiring circuits etc. are dependent on constant voltage. If you have deep pockets to replace all the electrical & ECM? I see this old outdated way of keeping the battery charged is dangerous. Or? I go out weekly when I am not driving & start the engine & let the engine warm-up.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts