Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered my custom 2" billet valve covers and the billet coil relocation brackets. I have to order some wire connectors tomorrow and then I will be rewiring the engine to clean it all up. I will be mounting the coils on the custom billet bracket and it will be mounted to the upper a-frame towers on both sides. Here is a picture of the 1 1/4" billet covers, mine will be 2" tall.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is installing 2 vent tubes, (1) at the front passenger side and (1) at the rear driver side. He is doing a billet screw in style oil cap. The picture above is just an example of his work, mine will be taller with the changes.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
2005SSR6speed: Those billet covers will look beautiful! I saw a pair at MTI Racing (they are in one of the photos in Chapter 13 of my book), and they look fabulous!

If you are relocating the coils further from the sparkplugs, you might want to pay some attention to the resistance of the wires you use for the coil to sparkplug connections. Granatelli offers really low resistance wires, and one of the magazines tested them recently and insist that they saw a few horsepower more after installing them. IF that is true, the effect would be exaggerated on a supercharged engine, as the combustion pressures are higher.

I've never tried low resiatnce wires myself, but am open to learning every day! :)

Jim G

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
I have searched the forum, but not found reference to replacing the stock coil packs with the MSD units. It appears to be a pricey ($600) replacement at ~$75 per coil. Is there precident or experince with this product????

The red coils might look good in there... if they make a difference.

Mikey

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JimG - The coil relocation brackets will only be wide enough to mount the 4 coils, so it will be much shorter overall. I plan to mount them to the top of the a-frame towers so I will actually use the same plug wires that are used stock.

Mike in AZ - I have been looking at the aftermarket plug wires and the coils that you talked about. They are very pricey but I think I will do that eventually as they appear to very good quality and the multiple spark will also help. Besides they would look real nice in the billet coil relocation brackets.

I was going over all the wiring in the engine compartment and will need to do some extensive wiring to get all the wiring off the engine. This will be a very time consuming job, but the visual enhancement will make it worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are the final pictures of the Valve Covers and Coil Relocation Brackets. They just shipped today. I am still waiting on the engine wiring harness. I might try to put it togther as a kit if there is interest.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Those look gorgeous, and also tall enough to allow substitution of higher rocker arm assemblies, if ever needed?

Rough idea of cost for the pieces??

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
This first set was very expensive ($550.00 for everything in the picture) it was all done on a CNC machine out of billet aluminum. The valve covers are 2" tall and will allow a set of shaft mounted rocker arms without having to do the spacers. I will still have to polish them when they get here. All the mounting hardware is stainless steel. There were cheaper ways to do it but I wanted them a very specific way.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am supposed to get a price list today for any subsequent orders that I will post here if anyone is interested in this modification.

I am working on an engine wiring harness that will be plug and play for the LS2 and Supercharger. They already have one for the 5.3, I would just need to see if the kits uses the same style injectors as the 05-06.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is for everything as shown in the above picture for the LS2 SSR. The coil Relocation Brackets will have to be dilled different for the 5.3. The mounting hardware will be all stainless steel. I was expecting it to be less, I might be able to get the price down a little more with a group order.

Billets Valve Covers:
Tall (2") 375.00
Regular(1 1/4") 325.00

Coil brackets:
Relocation brkts 89.00/pair

Billet screw on filler cap 40.00/installed

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Polishing

Give the Meziere's a call over @ North County Polishing in Escondido. They've done some stuff for me and it was top hotch.

RHShute

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RHShute - I should have them any day, they shipped on Monday from Canada. I will have to take a bunch of stuff over for polishing at the same time. How did the Intake turn out?

·
Premium Member
9,316 Posts
Those look great - Looks like we're going ahead with the 06 6 speed, and I'd be very interested in this kit.

Just out of curiosity - what part of Canada?

If you put the package together, we could possibly arrange shipping without going through customs twice.

Supercharger is still a ways away, but that's definitely on my list. Gotta get our other commitments out of the way first.

Keep me in the loop.

Ray

1 - 20 of 68 Posts