Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did my search and came up with the basic run down of what is going on with it. are there any new updates to this product? i checked summit racing and they have it listed for sale when i search for SSR products. i take it that it is a generic piece for the 5.3L engine or something?

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Despite my best efforts and incredible patience with Vararam, ut IS now dead, at least as far as I am concerned.

Patrick at Vararam had promised this Spring that he would send me the very first Vararam SSR kit to install on my SSR, and I noted that here on the site then and a number of times since then as people have asked.

Literally month after month, with regular expediting at least every 2 weeks, Ptarick kept giving me reasons why the kit was not ready to ship. These included:

- Doesn't LOOK good enough yet, then

- Can't handle the high iunderhood temperatures on the SSR

- Need to change to a C5/C6 based "new" solution

- Can't handle the high underhood temps (again)

- Need to make the parts out of a different material and with a different process to handle the heat

- Delayed by hurricane

- Parts in now, and ready to ship, but we want you to try our "throttle body spacer" too (sigh . . .)

- Oops, throttle body spacer is ready to ship, but air intake kit is not

- On 10-04-05, we are ready to ship but just need your shipping address (I had provided it a long time ago, but did so again now)

- Between 10-04 and 10-05, could not reach Patrick despite repeated attempts to check shipping status, as deadline for publishing of Chapter 12 of my book (Menu of mods for the SSR) was approaching fast, and I still needed to install, dyno, and road test via G-Tech. "Steve" in shipping keeps saying I need to talk to Patrick.

After repeated attempts to reach Patrick those last few days, I finally realized he just is not ever going to actually ship a testable air intake kit. I told Steve to tell Patrick to "forget it. It's too late. I'll publish only the K&N results I have in hand."

Draw your own conclusions about a Vararam SSR air intake kit and Vararam's desire to have it independently tested. I've drawn mine.

Jim G

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i decided to stick with the K&N drop in filter. i like aftermarket intakes but sometimes the drop in filter is better value. schucks has a $10 discount on K&N filters this month.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
What are the advantages of a K&N filter over factory installed ones???

·
Registered
217 Posts
IronMedic said:
i decided to stick with the K&N drop in filter. i like aftermarket intakes but sometimes the drop in filter is better value. schucks has a $10 discount on K&N filters this month.
I got the off road K&N. Iit looks cool. But it is not worth the big difference in the money between the two. JMOP If I had to do it over, I would do what you did Ironmedic.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Woohoo: We are not talking here about meely a filter element. We are talking about a complete replacement air intake system including:

- airbox
- filter
- heat shield
- connector tubing

The holy grail on an air intake system for an SSR would have the following features:

- Better air flow (less restrictive, less conern with noise reduction), because more air flow makes more power, provided no OTHER component in either the intake or exhaust system is the current "cork" in the OVERALL system

- Intake air is isolated from the incredibly hot underhood envrionment of the SSR - ideally a cold air intake system that draws from OUTSIDE the vehicle - since hot intake air means less power produced by the engine (density of the air is too low)

- Doesn't look too tacky

Both K&N and Vararam are normally two of the big suppliers of air intake kits for performance vehicles. Both are having trouble getting good results with the SSR because of the high underhood temperatures.

K&N's "Aircharger" consists of a conical air filter leading into a plastic intake tube, with a laughable "heat shield" that has three big problems:

1. It's metal, which conducts heat rather well

2. The hole in it through which the ducting passes is oversize, probably to allow for engine movement under high torque situations, with no sealing bellow, so the hot air gets sucked right in from under the hood area desoite the "shield"

3.The conical filter sucks from an area that is still otherwise not isolated from the underhood temperatures or air, so much of the air drawn in is hot

The Aircharger also looks REALLY tacky.

K&N claims it makes an average of about 5 hp more across the rpm range (they sent me their graph), but I suspect that that is with a open hood under temperate ambient dyno conditions - not on the street under hot conditions.

Vararam's problems have been documented earlier in this thread.

I'm still looking for the holy grail . . . :)

Jim G

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,074 Posts
Jim,

I had my air cleaner assembly off and was amazed at the lack of room between the rear of the air filter element and the back panel. I wonder if a spacer between the two would reduce the inlet system bottleneck? It would only take a 3/8" additional space to make a HUGE difference in the airflow. This would probably be most critical for the supercharged units.

Go to the garage and take yours apart........ put the two halves of the air filter assembly and the element on the bench and look carefully at the restriction created behind the filter element..... This is a good challenge for an inventive owner to come up with a cheap mod that might free up a few ponies...... And then share it with the rest of us....

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Thanks guys, I think I understand the system better now, but guess I'll wait til you all find the perfect set up before I make any changes. :thumbs

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
The narrow gap behind the filter is not as big a problem as we think at first, because the air flow is through only the center part of the filter, as it turns out, until the center parts gets dirty enough for the air to consider the outer portions more attractive! :)

Folks who have looked at dirty ones swear that only a 5 inch circle is dirty!

Jim G

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
spoke to them!

My call was on tues and they said it would be spring before they had it done! I've been in touch with them all year and it's been trying to get the bugs out of the system and working in the small space provided! also, it's been tabled as they are working on "easier" projects to get done first, I figure there's not enough of us to warrant getting this system done because sales won't be that high!

GR

·
Registered
54 Posts
Spacer, not good.

BTW, the throttle body spacer they sell is junk.

Poorly cut, sloppy tolerences, poor fit.

And, made from some type of high durometer neoprene rubber so it will change shape after time....

Take a pass on this guys stuff.

Oh and BTW. The Summit online catalog says that they have a VariRam kit to fit the SSR. They do not, despite the catalog.

Regards,

Michael
efxguy
2004 Slngshot

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks For This Update

efxguy said:
BTW, the throttle body spacer they sell is junk.

Poorly cut, sloppy tolerences, poor fit.

And, made from some type of high durometer neoprene rubber so it will change shape after time....

Take a pass on this guys stuff.

Oh and BTW. The Summit online catalog says that they have a VariRam kit to fit the SSR. They do not, despite the catalog.

Regards,

Michael
efxguy
2004 Slngshot

VaraRam is out. I have give these guys all the time I can. They lie!! 6 months ago they said there air box would be through by the end of summer. Wrong. There spacer is junk. Sorry Guys I give them a no VOTE.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts