Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from sunny Southern California. I purchased my 2004 SSR in July last year and my vehicle registration is upcoming. I was just wondering from fellow California SSR drivers, are you paying over $400 for your registration? This is a lot for a older model vehicle. Thanks for your input! Harry:yellow:

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Mine is $399. Since Chevy dubbed the SSR a pickup truck, it must be registered as a commercial vehicle in CA, and subject to weight fees.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
I just paid my fees on 3/31 for my 2004 that I purchased in 2005. Total was $298 and that included vanity plates of $43. Full breakdown: registration $133, license fee $33, weight fee $80, special plate $43, county/district fee $9, owner responsibility fee $0.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,614 Posts
MCQSSSR, WOW!!! Nothing to do with Fees but, since you only have 1 post, Welcome from Forney Texas!!!-----Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick & Kathy

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,296 Posts
I have to renew my plates in July and while I stand in the long line and wait on the crabby old lady behind the counter I am going to patiently wait my turn with a smile, knowing I don't have to pay near the fees you all in California have to pay. My average license renewal is under $100 on my vehicles here in Missouri and that will include 2 year plates.

Now on the flip side you guys can laugh at me when I have snow to deal with here tomorrow and you all have sunny weather.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,388 Posts
Funny you should bring up fees. Our daily rag news paper just had an article in Sunday's paper about out of state vehicle registrations. They were kind of bragging about it. They said it is in the many thousands of dollars our state picks up from out of state folks that have never set foot in South Dakota. Evidently it is all legal.
1. No residency required.
2. No visual inspection.
3. No smog test.
4. Can be purchased on the internet, or phone.
5. Mail to you anywhere for a small fee.

My SSR renewal for example:
Highway Patrol Fee $ 1.00
Non Commercial Motor Vehicle $75.60
Solid waste fee $ 1.00
Personal vanity plate $25.00

For a total of $102.60

We had smog inspection for a few years back in the 80's but some hotroders with high dollar lawyers took the State to court and won and it got thrown out. About the only high performance restrictions is you have to have a muffler but that is usually not enforced and we have the law passed you can have blue dot tail lights and we can go 80 on the interstate, sometimes 85 before they stop you but don't say I said that.

Lots of reasons I left California!

Crazy!!! Let the fun begin.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,296 Posts
Funny you should bring up fees. Our daily rag news paper just had an article in Sunday's paper about out of state vehicle registrations. They were kind of bragging about it. They said it is in the many thousands of dollars our state picks up from out of state folks that have never set foot in South Dakota. Evidently it is all legal.
1. No residency required.
2. No visual inspection.
3. No smog test.
4. Can be purchased on the internet, or phone.
5. Mail to you anywhere for a small fee.

My SSR renewal for example:
Highway Patrol Fee $ 1.00
Non Commercial Motor Vehicle $75.60
Solid waste fee $ 1.00
Personal vanity plate $25.00

For a total of $102.60

We had smog inspection for a few years back in the 80's but some hotroders with high dollar lawyers took the State to court and won and it got thrown out. About the only high performance restrictions is you have to have a muffler but that is usually not enforced and we have the law passed you can have blue dot tail lights.

Lots of reasons I left California!

Crazy!!! Let the fun begin.
So I could cut the cats off the truck and run a full dual exhaust and register it through South Dakota and never see an inspection station EVER! HMMMM this could be interesting.

·
Premium Member
2006 Automatic
881 Posts
Florida is only $61.50 per year! And that is with the vanity plate. And no front plate.

Now you know one of the reasons we left California!

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,388 Posts
So I could cut the cats off the truck and run a full dual exhaust and register it through South Dakota and never see an inspection station EVER! HMMMM this could be interesting.
Have to be careful on all that. Our custom muffler shops run under the federal law and will not remove Cats. Then again in your home state you get pulled over and have a Mo. drivers license with a Mo. address with south Dakota plates on your SSR with a Mo. address on your registration card and insurance card I believe all of that is illegal and you in a heap of trouble boy and you would be spending a ton to get it all straightened out. Probably get impounded to start with. Just my two cents. Easier to move here. Only 900,000 people in the whole state. No rush hour traffic, EVER! 800,000 out of state motorcycles the first week of August but I like that.
Have a good one.

Reactions: voodoophantom
1 - 10 of 10 Posts