Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2006 SSR FPR. A black beauty with all accessories, 25,000 miles. I found the SSR in Houston Tx. Flew out and drove it back. I live in Lagrange Ga. SW of Atlanta 65 miles
I am very tall (6'9", 220 lbs) I typically try cars "on for size"
I am ok with the SSR but would like to have more leg room.

I am looking for advice:
Can the gas and brake pedals be lowered, moved closer to the fire wall?
Can the steering wheel be telescoped out away from the dash?

Thanks

"Shorty"
Charles Wardlaw
1004 Country Club Dr
LaGrange, Ga 30240
706 333 5555

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,483 Posts
charleswardlaw, I don't think the pedals or steering wheel can be changed the way you asked. Hang on and the TALL Fanatics will share their solutions. Meantime-------Welcome from Forney Texas!!! You will discover that you have found the BEST FORUM ever!---Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" something, it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

--Also if you haven't yet, go to "FORUMS", "SSRFanatics News & Polls", "New Member section" and introduce Yourself!!

Nick & Kathy

·
MY05SSR
588 Posts
I recently bought a 2006 SSR FPR. A black beauty with all accessories, 25,000 miles. I found the SSR in Houston Tx. Flew out and drove it back. I live in Lagrange Ga. SW of Atlanta 65 miles
I am very tall (6'9", 220 lbs) I typically try cars "on for size"
I am ok with the SSR but would like to have more leg room.

I am looking for advice:
Can the gas and brake pedals be lowered, moved closer to the fire wall?
Can the steering wheel be telescoped out away from the dash?

Thanks

"Shorty"
Charles Wardlaw
1004 Country Club Dr
LaGrange, Ga 30240
706 333 5555
Welcome from NE Georgia (I have the opposite problem-short legs)

·
Super Moderator
13,972 Posts
Team Tall is 6.5 and we have figured he can't do the 6sp bit but he is fine with the auto.
Personally, I am only 6 foot tall but have a neck issue, so I have to do some things to seat myself but my opinion of the SSR is that it is the old man version of the Corvette.
I sold my last Vette when I found myself crawling out on my hands & knees
Our dearly departed friend Michael was a big guy, 6.6 I think, and fairly heavy
He was able to manoeuvre in an out
One of the mistakes I made when rebuilding my 70 Vette was not replacing the solid steering column with a tilt
Not sure if that can be done with an SSR, but that would be an area I would look at
That would look after the ingress/egress issue

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Anything can be done with money, BUT NO...........THE SSr seat can move more than the cabin will allow. For even normal tall people the [recline] is a joke. My 5 ft wife could use it but has no reason to. Sit it your SSr & find your best position. Up/down....forward/back..........don't let the back of the seat hit the back of the cabin......& then set the position 1 or 2 that you use.......You can also set the truck to remember [2] setting that function when using the remotes. I use # 1 and the wife users remote #2. That way the seat is ready for each of us even before the door is open............Forget changing [this] setting on trips/what ever. Normal or tall people [really] only have one seat position to use? It is usually a compromise but the best you can do.

Birdmans

·
Premium Member
7,293 Posts
All I can say or offer is :00000732: to the SSR Family of fanatics !!! "Houston" you do have a problem !!! :frown2: :frown2: :frown2: Sorry Charlie, I'm no help ... tennesseecozydog :ssr Again :00000732: aboard !!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi 5'21, I have the opposite problem, at 5'8 the seat has to be quite a ways forward to allow me to push the clutch to the floor and reach 3rd and 5th gear without leaning into it a bit. It took a long time to find a position that was both comfortable and practical. I'm thinking the ideal person would be 5'13. I was somewhat disappointed at first because I wanted that semi prone position, with the seat set back. I have now adjusted to two different driving styles, one for my 4X and another for my "R". My biggest adjustment with the "R" was learning my corner clearances. I guess one can adjust to almost any situation if you want it bad enough. Hope it doesn't detract too much from a permagrin.

·
Perfectionist
526 Posts
I am 6'4" and find it pretty comfortable. But 6'9" hmmmmmm not sure what to tell you. Maybe the seat tracks could be modded to lower them and inch or so, closer to the floor? Take the headliner out maybe? It would be like an old convertible then, with all the mech exposed. Good luck ! And welcome. D

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
45,420 Posts
Welcome From Western Pa !!!!!!!!! :00000732:

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I believe I've read that... yes, some (including the late great Michael Fox) have moved the pedals back for more leg room/comfort.
If so, someone will chime in with more info.
:ssr
Brian

·
Slingshot Rules!
73,554 Posts
WELCOME, Charles . . . from Southern Arizona.

Sorry, no Telescoping Wheel to my knowledge but The Doophus (2005 Slingshot Yellow SSR) does have a "Tilt Steering Wheel" and I always thought all SSRs came with that option.

As for the pedals . . . there's not much available space down there for too many modifications.

At a mere 6'2" I must fall into the "Village Runt" category but I have greatly appreciated the available pedal space in the SSR compared to the Corvette.

! :cheers ! :00000732: ! :cheers ! :00000732: ! :cheers !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Greetings: thanks for the welcome.
Can you tell me how to get to the new members section?
Also I would like to change my information, I entered my name which is OK, but I see that all members are known by a "handle" I would like to use mine "shorty"

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,483 Posts
Also I would like to change my information, I entered my name which is OK, but I see that all members are known by a "handle" I would like to use mine "shorty"
Did you see my post #2

Nick

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
As soon as your able to send a PM because of your post count, you need to send a change request to the administrator and the can get it changed for you.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am 6'4" and find it pretty comfortable. But 6'9" hmmmmmm not sure what to tell you. Maybe the seat tracks could be modded to lower them and inch or so, closer to the floor? Take the headliner out maybe? It would be like an old convertible then, with all the mech exposed. Good luck ! And welcome. D
. Same here but interesting enough the guy who coordinated to bring the vehicle when we were in negotiations, was at least 1.5 inches taller! Road it with ease & said he had owned cars smaller than the SSR.

·
Premium Member
31,419 Posts
I'm 6'3". I have the seat all the way back against the bulkhead and still find it a bit cramped. I find myself hunching over quite a bit so I can see the traffic lights or "get around" the rear view mirror so I can see better to the right.

I am not aware of any special mods Mike had done to his truck. I simply do not see how you could possibly move the pedals at all. And his seats were still factory.

About the only viable solution I envision is replacing the factory seats with something that's slimmer and mounts lower. The factory seats are quite chunky - as are pretty much all GM seats. The downside is that you'd lose the power adjustments and heat option. All of those adjustment features are pretty useless for me. Once I get a seat into a comfortable position - it will rarely ever move again.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi 5'21, I have the opposite problem, at 5'8 the seat has to be quite a ways forward to allow me to push the clutch to the floor... I'm thinking the ideal person would be 5'13.
Coincidentally, I happen to be exactly 5'13"!
With the adjustable seats, the ride is comfortable for me, although the footroom is the smallest I've driven... And the rearview mirror is massive...
I wish I could give better advice to someone half a foot taller than me, but what I can say is, there's a reason the SSR is a convertible. :3

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,278 Posts
If your not going to use OEM or aftermarket wind suppressor, you may gain a little space by removing the bulkhead seat back bumper on the driver's side. Then see if seat will move further back with the recline you like. Regarding seeing traffic lights with the seat further back, see if "LightInSight" Is still available. It is a small arc shaped prismatic lens that sticks to inside upper windshield.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,457 Posts
You will need to get your post count up to 15 befoe you can use PM (Private Messaging) to request a name change. When you get there you can PM @Marc NY unless he sees this and contacts you.

If your not going to use OEM or aftermarket wind suppressor, you may gain a little space by removing the bulkhead seat back bumper on the driver's side. Then see if seat will move further back with the recline you like. Regarding seeing traffic lights with the seat further back, see if "LightInSight" Is still available. It is a small arc shaped prismatic lens that sticks to inside upper windshield.
Light In Sight is available on AMAZON
and LightInSight.com is rebuilding their site.

I find that at 6'1" I have the seat slightly tilted and run all the way back and on LONG drives I change the angle of the seat portion periodically and use the cruise control liberally to allow my feet to roam about the limited space provided for them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts