Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a vibration coming from the windshield area. My first thought was maybe it was the a pillar cover but it doesn't seem that has any play to it. I had them off and put new Velcro on it so it is secure. I am wondering if it could be the plastic wiper cover because it seems like it is now laid down all the way on the cowl. It is a vibration noise and usually does it off and on in quick little bursts at about 60 gets worse around 75 and gets real annoying at 80. I am pretty sure it is a wind problem because the last trip I was on I got behind a semi and it stopped making the noise. Pulled out in the other lane same speed and it came bac immediately. Any ideas?
It is not heater related because it does not matter if heat or air is on or off or what ducts are flowing and at low speed it doesn't do it.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,069 Posts
Has anyone had a vibration coming from the windshield area. My first thought was maybe it was the a pillar cover but it doesn't seem that has any play to it. I had them off and put new Velcro on it so it is secure. I am wondering if it could be the plastic wiper cover because it seems like it is now laid down all the way on the cowl. It is a vibration noise and usually does it off and on in quick little bursts at about 60 gets worse around 75 and gets real annoying at 80. I am pretty sure it is a wind problem because the last trip I was on I got behind a semi and it stopped making the noise. Pulled out in the other lane same speed and it came bac immediately. Any ideas?
It is not heater related because it does not matter if heat or air is on or off or what ducts are flowing and at low speed it doesn't do it.
Did you have the windshield changed lately????

Most likely the plastic trim at the base of the windshield. You can “test” it by sealing it with masking tape and then driving the SSR...... Just tape it to the glass to seal the air passage.

Fixing this is no big deal.

Mike

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still has the original windshield in it. I have owned the truck for a year and it has done it the entire time. This last trip it was really bad and I have to fix it. To see if that is the issue would it be best to just take the plastic cover off and drive it for a while to see if it goes away? What is the best fix for it?

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
972 Posts
May just be your wipers are improperly placed and actually vibrating against the cowl cover at higher speeds. If so, pop the wipers off and reset them on their spindles so the wipers stay at least 1/4" from touching the cowl cover when in the stowed (OFF) position.

I changed windshields and "flatter" aftermarket glass resulted in a 1/4" gap, at the center of the windshield, between the windshield and the plastic cowl cover. I fixed this by using the same velcro (industrial "mushroom-head") that holds the A-pillar covers on. The velcro was placed between cowl cover and glass at the outer edges (where the two made contact), then I pressed some 1/4" tube insulation (the kind used to seal windows in a home) where the gap existed at the center of the window. This stopped the horrendous vibration noise I was experiencing between 65-75 MPH.

Check the cowl cover to be sure it is completely secure AND lays FLAT across the entire window width.

Good Luck, Carl

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,069 Posts
still has the original windshield in it. I have owned the truck for a year and it has done it the entire time. This last trip it was really bad and I have to fix it. To see if that is the issue would it be best to just take the plastic cover off and drive it for a while to see if it goes away? What is the best fix for it?
The best way to see if that is the issue is to get a 2” roll of blue painter’s tape and tape that cowl to the windshield. It will take only a couple minutes to apply and will give you the immediate answer.

The cowl cover is designed to clear water away from the base of the windshield and route it off to the side of the truck, without letting it under the cowl cover. The seal at the back edge is supposed to be firmly against the glass.

If your cowl cover is the culprit, I would recommend re-shaping it slightly to make it fit tight. I would recommend pulling the wipers off and then pulling the cowl cover. Turn the cowl cover upside down on the workbench and heat up (using a heat gun or a hair dryer) the corner that transitions from the cowl plane to the windshield plane. Once it is reasonably hot, put some pressure on it and change the angle at the apex...... making the whole thing flatter. Once it cools, place it back on the truck and see if your efforts make it lay tight against the windshield. Repeat heating and bending until it is correct. Re-install the cowl cover. You may need to use some new fasteners, if yours fit sloppily......

I’ve done this on several SSRs and it is a permanent fix..

Mike

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
972 Posts
If your cowl cover is the culprit, I would recommend re-shaping it slightly to make it fit tight. I would recommend pulling the wipers off and then pulling the cowl cover. Turn the cowl cover upside down on the workbench and heat up (using a heat gun or a hair dryer) the corner that transitions from the cowl plane to the windshield plane. Once it is reasonably hot, put some pressure on it and change the angle at the apex...... making the whole thing flatter. Once it cools, place it back on the truck and see if your efforts make it lay tight against the windshield. Repeat heating and bending until it is correct. Re-install the cowl cover. You may need to use some new fasteners, if yours fit sloppily......
Mike
MIKE! THANK YOU! I hadn't considered that reshaping the cowl cover was an option, but since OEM windshields are rarer than pink unicorns (and just as expensive), and the newer flatter windshields will remain as replacements, flattening the cowl is a GREAT recommendation.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The best way to see if that is the issue is to get a 2” roll of blue painter’s tape and tape that cowl to the windshield. It will take only a couple minutes to apply and will give you the immediate answer.

The cowl cover is designed to clear water away from the base of the windshield and route it off to the side of the truck, without letting it under the cowl cover. The seal at the back edge is supposed to be firmly against the glass.

Mike
Once again Mike you are spot on. The passengers side the plastic was out away from the windshield by about a 1/4 inch and about an inch across the top. It was supposed to be raining today so I used black duct tape and taped up that corner. No noise. It made it so much nicer to drive. I will wait till it is better weather and get the heat gun out and reshape the curve to match the windshield. Thank you for the help Mike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I used black foam backer rod, the type used behind caulking, to fill the slight gap.
It comes in a roll and is available in different thicknesses.
Just press it in slightly below the upper edge of the cowl.
You will never see it and the noise is gone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts