Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 with the 6 speed manual transmission. It has about 13600 miles on it. Yesterday I took a 300 mile trip in it and noticed a vibration at about 70 mph. It feels like it could be coming from the drive shaft. It feels like a shudder and it is not constant. Is this common and where should I begin checking for issues. Could it be U joints or is this a transmission issue. With only 13k on it, this SSR has spent most of its life in a garage. Any suggestions are appreciated. I’ve only had it a couple of months and I’m still getting to know it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Are the tires original ones or have they been replaced? Where is the vibration coming from steering wheel or seat? Does it vibrate both when the engine is pulling as well as when it seems to be not under load?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tires and wheels are not original. It has American Racing and continental tires. I may need to drive it again before I can be more specific about where it feels like it’s coming from.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Does it do it more when you first start out or the entire time your driving? If it is when you first start out but gets better the more you drive it maybe a tire issue. Front end will vibrate in the steering wheel. Drivetrain will vibrate through the seat.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,365 Posts
Key couple of questions.....

Does the vibration change if you change gears and hold the speed constant?
Is it felt in the seat of your pants or in the steering wheel.... or both?
Is the vibration constant, or does it have a cyclic (like two separate vibrations that are out of sync) nature?
What is the manufacturing date of the tires?
Have you ever had a “road force balance” performed on the tires?

Regards,

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts