Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll. Just took delivery of a new 2004. Redline Red. Got a question for ya'll. Have any of you experienced a harmonic vibration originating in the front end or dash? Would appreciate any info on this. This is my wife's Christmas Toy and wouls really like all info ya'll have. I love it and so does she.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,610 Posts
My 05 SSR had a similar issue when I first purchased it. It had two front tires that were out-of-round. Even after those two tires were replaced by GM, it seemed they couldn't balance the tires correctly (service dept and tire place across the street).

I found a tire shop with a Hunter 9700 road force balancer. I had them perform a road force balance on all four wheels/tires. Three of the four wheels had a road force of over 30 lbs (I was told that 10 lbs or lower is great). After they road force balanced the wheels/tires I had four wheels with a road force in the 8 to 14 lb range.

OMG what a difference on the road.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
We had the "out of round" problem too - GM replaced all 4 tires. Made a world of difference!

Congrats on your new toy! :seeya

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Now that is a great post, shiftz33.

think I'll have same done to mine as I have a vibration at 55mph and shows up again at 72 mph. The WindsurpreSSR vibrates at those speeds.

Never heard of a road force balance....great forum info.

P/P

Peace:flag

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,610 Posts
P/P,

I was only taking it in to have the wheels get a regular type of wheel balancing. It was only when they couldn't balance one of the wheels with the regular method, I decided to pay the extra money to get the wheels road force balanced. A friend of mine had problems with wheel on her car and took it to this same place to have it road force balanced. That's how I knew this shop had the right equipment to perform road force balancing.

In the end it cost me $120 to get everything balanced and then road force balanced. But I figured it was worth it to get past this issue once and for all. I also have a "lifetime" wheel balance agreement from this shop so they'll rebalance the wheels as long as I own them.

·
Registered
185 Posts
shiftz33 said:
P/P,

I was only taking it in to have the wheels get a regular type of wheel balancing. It was only when they couldn't balance one of the wheels with the regular method, I decided to pay the extra money to get the wheels road force balanced. A friend of mine had problems with wheel on her car and took it to this same place to have it road force balanced. That's how I knew this shop had the right equipment to perform road force balancing.

In the end it cost me $120 to get everything balanced and then road force balanced. But I figured it was worth it to get past this issue once and for all. I also have a "lifetime" wheel balance agreement from this shop so they'll rebalance the wheels as long as I own them.
MIne had to be force balanced by the dealer also. He said that this was a very common problem. Once done they were totally fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts