Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which digit in the VIN tells if an SSR has the manual or auto trans? As I search dealer inventories, the VINs always show but I cannot always bring up the sticker to see what trans they have, so if the VIN could tell me......... thnx!

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,618 Posts
The 2005 Service Manual on page 0-6 states:

Position / Meaning

1 / Country of Origin / 1 = U.S. Built
2 / Manufacturer / G = General Motors
3 / Make / C = Chevrolet Truck
4 / GVWR - Brake System / E = 6001 - 7000 HYD Brakes
5 / Truck Line - Chassis Type / S = Sm Conventional Cab - 4x2
6 / Series / 1 = 1/2 Ton
7 / Body Type / 4 = Two Door Cab
8 / Engine Type / H = 6.0L V8
9 / Check Digit
10 / Model Year / 5 = 2005
11 / Plant Location / B = Lansing, MI
12 - 17 / Plant Sequence Number

It appears the VIN itself does not identify which tranny is present (auto vs manual).

I compared my 2005 SSR automatic tranny VIN with this service manual decode and it seems to make sense (minus the info for the tranny).

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thnx!

I appreciate that info. I have to start looking again. I found out today I waited too long for a silver 6 speed I had been planning on........hoping for........

·
Registered
28 Posts
Danko said:
I appreciate that info. I have to start looking again. I found out today I waited too long for a silver 6 speed I had been planning on........hoping for........
If you really want a silver 6 speed the dealer in Alexandria, Indiana, DeVoe Chevrolet has one. It is a new 2005 and this dealer always gives the best deals around. If a discount is available he will give It.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
silver 6 speed

Thnx but the one I just missed out on was in Indy and at over $17K off MSRP........ I have a problem in that I do not get enough money to commit to one of these for another 3 months, so I have to keep looking and hope I can get a good deal in March on one.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
shiftz33 said:
The 2005 Service Manual on page 0-6 states:

Position / Meaning

1 / Country of Origin / 1 = U.S. Built
2 / Manufacturer / G = General Motors
3 / Make / C = Chevrolet Truck
4 / GVWR - Brake System / E = 6001 - 7000 HYD Brakes
5 / Truck Line - Chassis Type / S = Sm Conventional Cab - 4x2
6 / Series / 1 = 1/2 Ton
7 / Body Type / 4 = Two Door Cab
8 / Engine Type / H = 6.0L V8
9 / Check Digit
10 / Model Year / 5 = 2005
11 / Plant Location / B = Lansing, MI
12 - 17 / Plant Sequence Number

It appears the VIN itself does not identify which tranny is present (auto vs manual).

I compared my 2005 SSR automatic tranny VIN with this service manual decode and it seems to make sense (minus the info for the tranny).
Can you tell me what the #9 Check Digit stands for ?

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,618 Posts
Usually a "check digit" is the the calculated value based on the other digits in the value. I'm not sure what calculation (there are a few ways to do it) is used. If you changed the check digit position character to something other than what was issued by GM, anyone that can fully decode VINs should be able to detect that the VIN is "invalid" based on the check digit not matching what was calculated for that VIN from its other digits' values.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts