Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me '05, Blur..has had a number of problems right off the delivery truck.......Most of them I can work out... including the speedo that quit working ,.. But
The console floor voltage gauge reads at 16 volts, or above.. in the RED.... I read something on one of the tech strings that a bad battery could be the problem. so..
I bought a new battery and swapped with what appeared to be a new Interstate Battery,,, well, I have known of new Batteries that came out of the box not good. so I went ahead and swapped. Put it all back together again, started it and the gauge went directly to 16 volts in the red. do not want to drive it, I can just see it in flames and I do not mean painted flames.
any suggestions?

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,016 Posts
Welcome. First of all the gauges are not very accurate. More for bragging rights to say "I got the floor gauges". If you try to read them going down the road you will run in the ditch. Second of all mine does the same thing. It took me awhile but figured out two things were happening. The gauge reads two different ways. 1. turn the key to the on position and not start and it will read about 12 volts and that is what you have in the battery. 2. Start it and then the gauge goes to about 16 mine pegs itself because the system needs 15 volts to run everything and that is what the alternator is putting out at max. When ever I am not driving the SSR it is plugged in to the Battery Tender by Deltron so I know it is fully charged. Another thing I did was buy a chrome 200 amp alternator from Mike at Simple Engineering. These SSR's have about five computers that talk to each other and it takes a lot of juice to run everything. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Auggie
I see that you are a often quoted and often a posting member, so I have one more question...
when the Traction control button is not pushed therefore supposedly in traction control mode, on occasion I get a bit "spirited" in my acceleration movement..
often it will smoke the right rear tire, and not the left but when I push the button to eliminate traction control I have yet to get any tire spin. My build sheet quotes it as having PosiTrac.
Posi trac does not behave this way, is there something inherent with the SSR that it would behave this way?

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
It's not a posi in the automatics, it's a Torsen rear with no clutches, all gears. You should not be smoking one tire, check the side to side inflation pressures.

You realize when you push the traction control button and the light comes on in the instrument panel, the traction control is off, right?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, sir, traction control is off when light is on, which means traction control is not functioning.. which in old car language means both tires go up in smoke. evidently I have a bunch of new stuff to learn with this SSR

Thank you Auggie

Jason

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,016 Posts
Not a rear end guy but I have experimented with mine and if you have the traction control activated it will take off and just go straight and fast. If you deactivate it the tires will spin. Some other quirks are if you put the shift lever into low and take off it will de-activate the traction control automatically. Also if you go over 100 it will de-activate itself. Don't know why it is set up that way but it is. Maybe some rear end guru can jump in here and explain. In the mean time go out and enjoy your ride. Still got snow, ice, mud and salt to deal with here so mine is sitting in the heated garage but waiting to be set free any day now.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,356 Posts
On the Voltage part----if you have or can get a multi meter, check the voltage at the Red Battery/jumper box under the hood. That will give you the correct reading! As said before, the gauges are not accurate.

Nick

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
The voltage gage in the cluster was way off... check it with a digital volt meter... I replaced all my gages with digital ones from TELTEK.... very glad I did. The voltage gage is spot on now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts