Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Need two rare pieces for the transmission before I start. Bottle gear TUAS 3486, output shaft TUFP 5211 (32 spline). Going to research the F Magnum and still hunt parts thru racing companies. The plan is now to remove the transmission and take it to Hanlon Motorsports in SE PA to do the work.

·
Premium Member
2005 Slingshot, 6 speed manual
17,547 Posts
What causes loss of 5th & 6th gears? I’ve got an 05 six speed & am wondering. I don’t hot rod it, so should I be concerned?

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
876 Posts
It would seem MAGNUM internals that will fit in the SSR case are available @oldxr . @Topspin just built one of these out of the trashed trans from the @dna truck. If my reading of his description is correct you can also chose to use a new gear ratio set at this time. Look primarily near the end of this thread, though entire thread is of interest to anyone contemplating a six speed swap: Tremec troubles

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was told that if you are in sixth gear and running low RPMs that the transmission is bumped every time a cylinder fires! Because I have not removed the transmission I can’t say what was grenaded.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
4,867 Posts
I was told that if you are in sixth gear and running low RPMs that the transmission is bumped every time a cylinder fires! Because I have not removed the transmission I can’t say what was grenaded.
I hope that isn't true because I'm running only about 1700 RPM at 70 MPH and obviously lower than that at 60 MPH. I usually have it in 6th gear as my gas milage is much better in 6th. But I certainly don't want improved gas mileage over a new transmission! 😱
More facts please...

Reactions: Railroad Guy

·
Premium Member
2005 Slingshot, 6 speed manual
17,547 Posts
I hope that isn't true because I'm running only about 1700 RPM at 70 MPH and obviously lower than that at 60 MPH. I usually have it in 6th gear as my gas milage is much better in 6th. But I certainly don't want improved gas mileage over a new transmission! 😱
More facts please...
I agree. If I can get to 45mph, I use 6th gear. Hope I haven’t caused potential problems.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be safe I plan on being shy with 6th gear until I’m at 70 MPH minimum with no slowing down. Modern Driveline enlightened me on the issue during our conversation. Only have 82K on my transmission and it sits 6 months out of the year. Been coast to coast twice and all miles are highway. Go figure!

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
5,074 Posts
I thought I read some where it is actually a double over drive on these. Both 5th and 6th are over 1to 1

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bruce that’s what I’ve read on some of the sites I’ve been on. I’ll try to get more info and locations for additional updates.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Need two rare pieces for the transmission before I start. Bottle gear TUAS 3486, output shaft TUFP 5211 (32 spline). Going to research the F Magnum and still hunt parts thru racing companies. The plan is now to remove the transmission and take it to Hanlon Motorsports in SE PA to do the work.
I have never heard of a "bottle gear" in 50 yrs of manual trans tinkering. Anyway, that part# , 3486, is listed as a blocker/syncronizer ring and is readily available. I think the output shaft might still be available - in doing a quick search I see it listed several different places.

Reactions: nj6969 and TXNSSR

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
What causes loss of 5th & 6th gears? I’ve got an 05 six speed & am wondering. I don’t hot rod it, so should I be concerned?
Poor design in the early T56s, in the overdrive clusters. It's a small 1 piece cluster that is thin and weak between 5th and 6th gear.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I agree. If I can get to 45mph, I use 6th gear. Hope I haven’t caused potential problems.
45 mph is a ridiculously low speed to be in 6th gear, especially if you have stock rear gearing! 6th gear is for freeway cruising @ 70 mph.

Reactions: Chadwerd and nj6969

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I thought I read some where it is actually a double over drive on these. Both 5th and 6th are over 1to 1
That's exactly what all T56s are - 4 speeds with a 1-1 4th gear and 2 overdrives added in the tail housing.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
If you run stock, 3.73, rear gearing in your 6 speed, you need to be very careful on the loading on 5th and 6th! Use 4th gear often, until you're doing some freeway running. The stick Rs should have come with 4.10s from the factory and 4.56s are, in my opinion, the ideal rear gear for drivability and longevity of the trans.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Topspin…is the 4.10 rear a better choice for a casual cruiser?

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cleveland Parts and Performance is interested in buying my R! With prices going up it might be worth a look. Wanting an automatic so Lisa could enjoy driving an R has been on my mind. Probably drop at least $4-5K getting the transmission rebuilt wit labor, parts and shipping. Add that cost selling it and I could get an automatic! Then again…so many fine upgrades to just let it be parted out!😭

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
5,074 Posts
that post would maybe ok if it were April First and not almost Oct first. Your truck is way too nice to be parted out. But then maybe they are looking at fixing it and reselling it when they get a 6 speed in.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts