Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
4,867 Posts
It will break many hearts if you sell that beauty to a Salvage yard!
I would hope you would post here your bottom dollar price before you make that kind of decision!

·
Registered
2004 UV
1,390 Posts
Like HUAW said if your thinking of getting rid of you truck post it here so a fanatic can have a chance at it,sounds like the parts are available be a hell of a waste to let it go to be scrapped.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Granted this is a very nice R with a lot of upgrades and no expenses spared but when it comes to dropping $5-6K for something that should NEVER a have been and becomes a matter of tolerance. At this point in my life I am not interested in repairing a transmission with the same type just to worry if it will crap out again. To sell it with or without a repaired transmission ends up being close to the same pocket money. It’s very frustrating trying to find the parts, reputable rebuilders, shipping and reinstallation issues after the fact if something else breaks. So fellow Fanatics this is my attitude for tonight. Min $4500 rebuild, $800 to R & R plus $300 to $400 shipping MINIMUM.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,235 Posts
Granted this is a very nice R with a lot of upgrades and no expenses spared but when it comes to dropping $5-6K for something that should NEVER a have been and becomes a matter of tolerance. At this point in my life I am not interested in repairing a transmission with the same type just to worry if it will crap out again. To sell it with or without a repaired transmission ends up being close to the same pocket money. It’s very frustrating trying to find the parts, reputable rebuilders, shipping and reinstallation issues after the fact if something else breaks. So fellow Fanatics this is my attitude for tonight. Min $4500 rebuild, $800 to R & R plus $300 to $400 shipping MINIMUM.
I get it. There is no reason for a manual trans to give up the ghost. I was literally thinking of you as we were in our 6spd tonight and I had to stop myself from reaching for 5h at 50mph. I’m hoping you make the best decision for you.

It was a pleasure to met you face to face at the rally. All the best.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
OKAY…..now! Finally got the news from a rebuilder that said he would rebuild my transmission using the T56 Magnum parts, parts which would be readily available down the road if it craps out. Scheduling the removal and in a few weeks it’ll be out of my R and I’ll probably drive it to Texas (farm trip included). At this point he is out 12 weeks in rebuilds which is fine as winter is coming. He also said it may not be as bad as i think and could be an easy repair. Max cost $4500 for complete upgrade. So fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
2005 Slingshot, 6 speed manual
17,547 Posts
OKAY…..now! Finally got the news from a rebuilder that said he would rebuild my transmission using the T56 Magnum parts, parts which would be readily available down the road if it craps out. Scheduling the removal and in a few weeks it’ll be out of my R and I’ll probably drive it to Texas (farm trip included). At this point he is out 12 weeks in rebuilds which is fine as winter is coming. He also said it may not be as bad as i think and could be an easy repair. Max cost $4500 for complete upgrade. So fingers crossed.
Hoping his estimate is correct.

·
Ms Donna's Driver
04’ Primer Mickey and 05’ Sinister
6,001 Posts
I hope you can make notes and write down the names and phone numbers of your experience. I will know who to call if Sinister‘s tranny becomes ill In the future.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The last choices for a qualified Tremec rebuilder came directly from Tremec technical. I called the two places recommended and after conversations settled with the Texas builder. Long list of places to get a rebuilt T56 M10 for the R but I’m not going to go that route…because I worry that the same issue will happen again and then I’m S*** out of luck.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
4,867 Posts
Glad your truck is going to be saved from the Salvage Yard... I certainly can understand your frustration at the time and happy to see that cooler heads have prevailed! ;)

Reactions: oldxr

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,477 Posts
I’ve got to get my permagrin back! My R had only seen daylight about 4 times this whole year…so depressing. Thank you to all who commented and talked me off the ledge….as they say “No problems only expenses”
Glad you found the solution. Have you thought about joining the "2 fer group" :cool:?!? Then your chances of KEEPING your Permagrin is better. :p

Nick

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Anyone got one stashed?
You can send your trans to Tremec through any authorized dealer in your area. Tremec will resfurbish and even upgrade the entrire trans. You can find Tremec authorized shops on their website. Had mine done due to a burr in 3d gear synchro and also had it upgraded to 700 HP standards. Shifts perfect. I also upgraded the clutch to a 12" Z06 clutch. My LS2 engine is modified and the clutch would slip under full throttle acceleration. Hope this helps! RangerOn

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
You can send your trans to Tremec through any authorized dealer in your area. Tremec will resfurbish and even upgrade the entrire trans. You can find Tremec authorized shops on their website. Had mine done due to a burr in 3d gear synchro and also had it upgraded to 700 HP standards. Shifts perfect. I also upgraded the clutch to a 12" Z06 clutch. My LS2 engine is modified and the clutch would slip under full throttle acceleration. Hope this helps! RangerOn
My total cost was $3600 for rebuild and shipping by Tremec. Another added $800 for complete upgrade 12" Z06 clutch/flywheel from Summit Racing. Removal and install by Lashway Motorsports was roughly $1200 but they also installed my adjustable suspension, shocks and struts.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Update…transmission is now out and ready to get down to Texas. Drained it and no metal slivers or pieces! Going to ship it this week and it’s heading to Texas.
Dane, I have several thousand miles on my rebuild by Texas Drivetrain Performance. I think you’ll be happy with Jason’s work!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts