Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
MY05SSR
2005 Aqua Blur, 6 speed
828 Posts
Dane
Glad you are getting your R fixed. I liked the Dale truck but I like your R the better
You know Ron ( Alliance) has a lift in his garage
John

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I just got back from Texas Driveline Performance a few days ago. Great guys there.

They have a crew of about 5 guys that does the actual work...Jason runs the shop with his right-hand man Fabian who also works in the shop. A guy named Frank actually worked on my truck.

They are extremely honest, probably to their detriment. I had an issue where by phone/video it was pretty confidently determined to be a synchro issue and I decided originally to go with the Magnum upgrade. I was set on it.

But, once I got there, Fabian did a test drive with me and was 90% sure my issue wasn't the tranny at all but the clutch not fully engaging. They could have easily steered me to rebuild the tranny (as they had already spent $3300 and ordered the Magnum parts!) but Fabian pretty matter-of-fact said it seemed like the clutch wasn't fully engaging and the tranny was likely fine. Turns out my tranny IS fine and my LS7 clutch was worn. I had it installed by Lonnie in 2012 and there was a bracket partially sandwiched between the bellhousing and engine causing the pilot bearing (and tranny) to be slightly crooked and tore the hell out of it over time. They fixed that in-shop. We replaced the master cylinder and slave since there was the aforementioned engagement issue. And, I finally got a remote bleeder installed that Lonnie was supposed to do back in 2012 but didn't have any in stock. I've needed the bleeder forever as I frequently flushed my clutch due to my trailer towing. It is tedious and wastes a ton of fluid using the turkey baster method...so the remote bleeder will be a Godsend.

Be aware...one thing Fabian cautioned strongly about going with the Magnum internals...it is apparently a very loud transmission with an abundance of loud gear noise. Apparently it is a common characteristic of the Magnum in different vehicles. Fabian was honest in that he felt I wouldn't be happy with that as I can't stand gear whine and the like...and even with no mufflers my truck isn't loud or offensive inside.

I totally appreciated Jason and Fabian's honesty and fair prices...they could have easily sold me a new tranny build as that was what I was driving to Texas for. But, they were honest and didn't want me unhappy with a tranny that not only I didn't need but one that would be significantly louder and less refined than the stock unit (even though it's a better performer).

They even let me get under the truck for a couple hours to clean my undercarriage and install heatshielding. Who does that???

Great guys!

But please...if you go with a Magnum setup, let us know how much louder/noisier it is.

Hope this helps!
Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
ABF Freight has my transmission and it’s going to Joe Dederich Motor Sports in Ft Worth. I spoke to him before deciding on his service because he was the only one to say it may not be as bad as you think. So I was happy to hear at least acknowledgement that it could be a simple fix.if not I’m ready to go into an upgraded transmission. His company was recommended by Tremec and only one of two and I’m sure that was the result of that particular Tremec representatives favorites? Anyway…should know something in about three months!

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Not the clutch. Input shaft on my transmission was a bit loose. As for turn around, I have not found a transmission shop that can pull, rebuild and reinstall in a day. Joe Dederich Motorsports in Ft Worth is flat out nothing but a Tremec business so I think they may have quite a bit of work. Time wise I really don’t mind…winter is coming🥶 and my R is in hibernation.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts