Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Burnt Orange
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I have a work in progress 2004 Burnt Orange, drivers door handle broke, I have checked ebay etc and found no drivers side handles. Anyone have a lead? Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,376 Posts
There are two “bad” things that normally happen to the door handles.... Each has about the same occurrence.....

1) The socket head cap screw that is the pivot for the transition pawl in the middle of the mechanism will back out of the handle and fall to the bottom of the door, along with the cast aluminum pawl.
2) The pawl that is held in place by the socket head cap screw fractures in half.

Failure mode #1 is repairable. Mode #2 is not.

Which failure is yours?

Mike

·
Registered
2004 Burnt Orange
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are two “bad” things that normally happen to the door handles.... Each has about the same occurrence.....

1) The socket head cap screw that is the pivot for the transition pawl in the middle of the mechanism will back out of the handle and fall to the bottom of the door, along with the cast aluminum pawl.
2) The pawl that is held in place by the socket head cap screw fractures in half.

Failure mode #1 is repairable. Mode #2 is not.

Which failure is yours?

Mike
Mike, I have a #2 failure on my hands. Fracture. I was hoping they sold just the pawl. Is the Pawl the same on the left and the right? I am about to take the left side apart and find out, seems like the drivers side breaks more often since there are several right handles available.

Mike

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,129 Posts
@MichaelD, Hey Mike hate you have problem #2, maybe someone has a handle they will part with. Also, maybe you can edit TO "General Discussion" section saying you need that part and it will get more attention, then, start a NEW thread in the "New Member" section?? AND Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Click here for the "How To Library" OneDrive

Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

OH---let's see some pictures of that different color.

Nick & Kathy

·
Registered
2004 Burnt Orange
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike, I have a #2 failure on my hands. Fracture. I was hoping they sold just the pawl. Is the Pawl the same on the left and the right? I am about to take the left side apart and find out, seems like the drivers side breaks more often since there are several right handles available.

Mike
Looks like they are not, have to be able to flip it upside down. I got a chance to lube the right side with silicone and put it back together, my guess it that the lack of lube would contribute to the speed of the fatigue fracture.

Mike do I just bite the bullet and buy a factory handle or is there another solution?

Mike

·
Registered
2004 Burnt Orange
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@MichaelD, Hey Mike hate you have problem #2, maybe someone has a handle they will part with. Also, maybe you can edit your title saying you need that part and it will get more attention, then, start a NEW thread in the "New Member" section?? AND Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Click here for the "How To Library" OneDrive

Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

OH---let's see some pictures of that different color.

Nick & Kathy
Thanks for the suggestions Nick, I wanted to post pics but it will not accept jpg. Do you know what format the pics need to be in for me to post?

Mike

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,129 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions Nick, I wanted to post pics but it will not accept jpg. Do you know what format the pics need to be in for me to post?

Mike
Sorry I'm computer dumb but others will help. I usually just drag? it, or what ever you call it. BUT it shows in your Avatar so ??? and the little bit looks nice. Being in Florida there are a bunch of guy's ready to help. @Dicktator or some others will check in. Oh-- I think @ED in FL has a custom one close to that color?

Nick

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,376 Posts
Looks like they are not, have to be able to flip it upside down. I got a chance to lube the right side with silicone and put it back together, my guess it that the lack of lube would contribute to the speed of the fatigue fracture.

Mike do I just bite the bullet and buy a factory handle or is there another solution?

Mike
No other solution is available. The cast aluminum part is far to complex to affordable replicate in a machine shop. The stresses on the part are too high for anything less than a good cast piece.
Find a used left handle, no matter the condition, and rob the pawl out of it. Lots of SSRs have been scrapped out and there should be a driver’s door handle someplace in the US.....

·
SSR Believer
2,128 Posts

Mike
Photo upload FAQ (look for "How To Upload Images To Posts"):

FWIW .jpg, .jpeg, .png even .gif files all work fine.

Also, per Mike, check with Cleveland Power and Performance. There's as good a chance they'll have the door part as anyone. You can send them an email with specifics and they'll get back to you.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Hello All, I have a work in progress 2004 Burnt Orange, drivers door handle broke, I have checked ebay etc and found no drivers side handles. Anyone have a lead? Mike

Is this your broken part???
I paid $100 for used complete handle to get this pot metal part.
FYI You all need to lubricate. Mine was dry......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts