Chevy SSR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,855 Posts
I am continuing to be a guarded optimist on this issue. I have provided both a working and a non-working RDM to a friend that understands what it takes to solve this. His logical approach and years of experience with similar systems in aerospace align with a lot of my thinking.

I am not sharing his name or location and I am not answering any questions about solutions or timing.

When we have finished this investigative deep-dive, He or I will post something. Again….. this is very guarded optimism.

Just letting you all know that it is being worked here too. Definitely helps to have multiple sources working independently.

Mike

·
Registered
2004 SSR: Slingshot Yellow
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Definitely one of the weakest links in owning an SSR. But that is also one of the multiple challenges that make owning such vehicle rewarding, (doesn't reduce the frustration).

I am in my 3rd SSR but my present unit is the one I have started digging into details. A common theme on most discussions concerning the RDM is desire and hope to find a Rosetta Stone that gives access to what goes on in both hardware, software and firmware. This is definitely a desirable goal however we must face possibility such task(s) may be ridiculously expensive and/or locked up with internal software keys that have passed on with their developers. This would probably be a hackers dream system to break however gaining the hardware and development tools giving access would probably not be high on their list for such a small quantity of systems.

There should already be some clues on internal variables since there are many OBD scanners capable of reading, (some capable of exercising), the AC, Door, Window and Roof functions. To design these OBD scanners surely requires some memory map of function vs memory location or variable name. Unfortunately our needs goes beyond superficial access of RDM memory locations. Even full access would probably require a processor instruction set listing to analyze compiled code, (assembly/machine language). I also guess RDM circuitry contains quite a bit of signal conditioning for the Hall effect sensors prior to deliver to the CPU. Outputs from the RDM seem to be almost 100% Digital (ON/OFF) thus there are probably multiple electronic and/or electro-mechanical-relays buffering the low current CPU outputs to real-world devices.

I have not studied all inputs and outputs but have seen sequence listings of which many programmable controllers could easily perform. Many of today's programmable controllers can operate with 12 Volts, are rated for industrial applications (can handle heat and vibration), have enough built in I/O ports (analog & digital) and of which programming tools are relatively inexpensive.

It would be very nice to find our RDM failures are just due to failure of an external system timing clock or something but in reality pursuit of a parallel effort of function restoration with today's methods may be beneficial. Such system would be stand alone but semi-transparent from an operational point of view. An OBD reader would not be able to access such device, so back door diagnostics methods would need to be implemented in the code as hardware will still fail regardless of what controller is present. I don't know if a roof alarm would always be present on the console but I don't think it would be any different for those with an RDM that is presently dead.

I have searched the forum for similar threads and find there are others suggesting that creating a stand alone controller that can perform RDM functions may be a worthwhile endeavor. As I continue to search I will most likely find there are others already working on this effort and thus give you credit for your efforts and expertise in helping our fanatic friends.

Of course the best thing would be to be able to repair our failed RDMs and thus make repairs a plug and play event.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
6,787 Posts
I checked with Cleveland Performance about the possibility of getting the plugs for the RDM today. They said they ship the harness with the complete chassis when they sell those or with the turn key engine set ups so they wouldn't have them. Struck out there on that one.

·
Premium Member
05 aqua blur, the Blur 06 blue over silver the Streak
756 Posts
I checked with Cleveland Performance about the possibility of getting the plugs for the RDM today. They said they ship the harness with the complete chassis when they sell those or with the turn key engine set ups so they wouldn't have them. Struck out there on that one.
That's the same answer I got from Grand Valley.

·
Registered
2004 SSR: Slingshot Yellow
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have found a supplier listing inventory of the 1318747-1 (C1), 929504-5 (C2), 929504-3 (C3) and 1318917-1 (C4) RDM connectors. I'm not yet sure if these numbers are for a complete male/female assembly or just one side. There is also question of whether this is just the shell with need to order the connector pins as separate items. If proven that complete connector blocks are available I may buy a set to see if some prototyping can be performed on my 2004 (RDM totally disconnected).

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
6,787 Posts

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
4,393 Posts
I have found a supplier listing inventory of the 1318747-1 (C1), 929504-5 (C2), 929504-3 (C3) and 1318917-1 (C4) RDM connectors. I'm not yet sure if these numbers are for a complete male/female assembly or just one side. There is also question of whether this is just the shell with need to order the connector pins as separate items. If proven that complete connector blocks are available I may buy a set to see if some prototyping can be performed on my 2004 (RDM totally disconnected).
@BassClef3 or anybody else looking to work on this issue

I have personally helped 3 members with faulty RDMs and 2 of them had the same issue ---
The reference voltage sent by the RDM was dropping --- It is supposed to be 12 volts - I found that on both of these that voltage was dropping down as the truck ran. When it got below about 9 volts the the roof would not operate. I am not sure what is used internal to the RDM to create this voltage (transistor?) But I would think that this would be a repairable fault. I know the RDM monitors that voltage and when it gets below a set amount - the roof and/or windows are shut down and a code is stored for low reference voltage. The RDM has two reference voltage outputs. One for the roof sensors and a separate one for the window position sensors - both will set the same code - but they are two different circuits.
I do not have possession of these RDMS, but I can supply the wiring diagram and identify the circuit (pin) that I used to confirm this fault if it will help. I looked at the circuit board and tried to visually trace that circuit to determine the origin, but I had no luck. I thought about jumping the two reference voltage circuits but realized that most likely the RDM would still see incorrect voltage and still set the code and go into fault mode. PLUS I worried I may also fry the other circuit, by drawing more current though it.

·
Premium Member
2004 SSR
2 Posts
I am wanting to purchase an SSR RDM module that has the electrical connections with understanding the electronics are totally shot and of minimal to no value. I have checked the web but have not found any failed units posted.

I recently retired as a Process Control Engineer and am thinking of taking up challenge of trying to get a working solution to the many roofs, windows and AC units stuck in their present condition. I have some ideas on implementation but they are strictly vapor-ware at present and admittedly could die on the vine if determined to not be worth the effort.

I would also ask if anyone knows of another device that may have the same electrical connector type that could serve as a donor electrical interface housing should a totally defunct RDM be impossible to acquire?

Thanks,

BassCleff3
Good luck. You will be popular if you can figure this out!

·
Registered
2004 slingshot yellow ssr
11 Posts
I am wanting to purchase an SSR RDM module that has the electrical connections with understanding the electronics are totally shot and of minimal to no value. I have checked the web but have not found any failed units posted.

I recently retired as a Process Control Engineer and am thinking of taking up challenge of trying to get a working solution to the many roofs, windows and AC units stuck in their present condition. I have some ideas on implementation but they are strictly vapor-ware at present and admittedly could die on the vine if determined to not be worth the effort.

I would also ask if anyone knows of another device that may have the same electrical connector type that could serve as a donor electrical interface housing should a totally defunct RDM be impossible to acquire?

Thanks,

BassCleff3
My wife just totally my 04 ssr with only 9000 miles on it co parts in Alabama has it if this helps

·
SSR Believer
3,623 Posts
Interesting article about ASC
Very interesting article! Thanks for sharing. (y)

IIRC the folks that are currently working on the RDM issue did reach out to a German firm which led some to believe that that is where the RDM was being sourced. I guess that wouldn't be surprising since there are parts from VW, Alpha Romeo and other European companies in and on the SSR. Total speculation on my part though.

I vaguely remember something mentioned in the last part of this paragraph in the article (bold is mine):

In a twist on the firm’s normal assembly procedure, the SSR’s body and roof were assembled offsite by ASC then shipped to the Craft Center where it met up with the completed chassis. The $35,000 truck was first delivered in mid-2003 and ended production in 2006 after just under 25,000 units had been sold. A specially outfitted West Coast edition debuted in 2005 that was built in conjunction with the So-Cal Speed Shop for distribution to Southern California Chevrolet dealers.

I thought the speed shop just built a couple of trucks, not that there were plans to sell more than that through Chevy Dealers. More here:

And here:

For anyone that follows, Dale (@Cash) created an interesting thread about ASC and the SSR (includes the above-mentioned article):

Reactions: Dr.V

·
Registered
2006 Yellow
57 Posts
Another thing that will be needed for someone to set into try to work on one, will probably need the 4 plugs that plug into the module. Those along with a nice section of wire off them. As close as the pins are you would not want to be trying to test pins on the module and possibly shorting out another pin while just trying to test input or output.

And to do a complete test board you would probably almost need the entire wiring harness out of a truck. The RDM goes back to the roof, doors, bed cover, and the AC system. Plus, is it known where the power input signals all come in from?

There is going to be more involved then just having a bad RDM to look at. I am not trying to be negative here, just trying to put some other things out there to be considered.
Try to verify all the wiring this weekend. If the plug are there i can donor all the wiring.

·
Registered
2003 Smokin Asphalt, Ebony Interior
5 Posts
In the search for working or non-working RDM's

DO NOT DEAL WITH A1 AUTO WRECKING 3901 University Ave. Suite #195 Georgetown TX 78626. 1-800-697-1571, www.a1autowrecking.com

These people are not reputable and do not deserve our business
I ordered a used RDM for my 2003 Chevrolet SSR which they said they had
I paid for it with my credit card
When I called to check shipment 2 weeks later, they said it tested bad and would send another one
When I called to get a tracking number, they said Fed Ex had lost the package and they would send another one
When I called to get a tracking number, they said their truck was going to deliver it and gave me the date
When that date passed, and I called, and they said they would deliver it for an additional $250 to the amount they invoiced me
When I objected, they said OK $150 over the amount they invoiced me
After resistance and lengthy communication, hey credited my CC the original amount, but it wasn’t worth the time and hassle

STAY AWAY FROM THEM, THEY ALSO SHOW AN ADDRESS IN CEDAR PARK TX

·
Premium Member
05 aqua blur, the Blur 06 blue over silver the Streak
756 Posts
In the search for working or non-working RDM's

DO NOT DEAL WITH A1 AUTO WRECKING 3901 University Ave. Suite #195 Georgetown TX 78626. 1-800-697-1571, www.a1autowrecking.com

These people are not reputable and do not deserve our business
I ordered a used RDM for my 2003 Chevrolet SSR which they said they had
I paid for it with my credit card
When I called to check shipment 2 weeks later, they said it tested bad and would send another one
When I called to get a tracking number, they said Fed Ex had lost the package and they would send another one
When I called to get a tracking number, they said their truck was going to deliver it and gave me the date
When that date passed, and I called, and they said they would deliver it for an additional $250 to the amount they invoiced me
When I objected, they said OK $150 over the amount they invoiced me
After resistance and lengthy communication, hey credited my CC the original amount, but it wasn’t worth the time and hassle

STAY AWAY FROM THEM, THEY ALSO SHOW AN ADDRESS IN CEDAR PARK TX
I had a similar experience with Star Auto Parts in Boca Raton FL. They said they had an RDM, sent me a picture, told me for two weeks it was on the way, even sent me a tracking number. After 3 weeks, I had to threaten them with BBB and Florida AG to get my money back.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts