Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BLU SSR
3,464 Posts
Robert, I have one from Mike that I will bring to Tenn. this Friday so we can get you runnin' , if you don't find one before then . I ordered one in case I needed it when I changed the fan least week but didn't have to use it. It is yours if you need it -- either way I am going to carry it in the R just in case for future "WHY ME" occurrences ! :grin2:
P.S. there is some assy. required , crimping and soldering of wires , so you know to round up the right tools. :blur: :ssr

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,068 Posts
Anyone have a good Fan Plug.
Sorry for the slow response. I’m traveling right now and have just settled in for the night.

Yes, I have a box of fan plugs and all the parts necessary to replace yours. Burned connectors like yours are an increasing occurance in the fleet. It seems that the ground connection is always the one that fails.

I’m convinced that the failure is related to a “technician” shoving a probe into he ground and then using his free hand to test for power on the other two. This springs the female connector and it has a loose connection...... High speed on the OEM fan draws almost 30 amps and it doesn’t take long to fry a loose connection......

When replacing the connector, you will need to be sure that you crimp AND solder the connector onto the wires. Repaired connectors are only as good as the connection to the wires.

Be sure to clean the carbon off of the male pins of the fan connector.... no need to start out compromised.

Regards,

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,068 Posts
Mike are these a Weather Pack terminal end?
No. They are Metri-Pack. 42 amp rating.

The “proper” tool is much different than the Weather Pack. However..... if you get a decent crimp (with almost any crimping tool) on the wires and then solder them, you will do fine with a field repair.

I send a sample piece of 10 gage wire with the mating connector and seal already crimped on the wire and soldered, so that almost anyone can copy a “proper” crimp and solder job..... thereby guaranteeing a good field repair.

Regards,

Mike

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,395 Posts
This attention to detail is the reason we all appreciate Mike so much.

·
Premium Member
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone that doesn't believe Mike, I have some oceanfront property in Arizona for sale. If I was a SSR owner and have not replaced this plug, I definitely would take it apart and see if there's any signs of plastic melting or heat on the connectors

·
Premium Member
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Robert, I have one from Mike that I will bring to Tenn. this Friday so we can get you runnin' , if you don't find one before then . I ordered one in case I needed it when I changed the fan least week but didn't have to use it. It is yours if you need it -- either way I am going to carry it in the R just in case for future "WHY ME" occurrences ! /forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
P.S. there is some assy. required , crimping and soldering of wires , so you know to round up the right tools.
thanks Jim I appreciate that I'll get one from Mike and make sure you get it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts