Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turn your lights on and feel the heat on the lens. When using a rubber backed Fender cover that heat will melt the rubber on to your lens trust me I've been there I've done that. Mike in AZ said that a towel will even melt onto the lens.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,054 Posts
Turn your lights on and feel the heat on the lens. When using a rubber backed Fender cover that heat will melt the rubber on to your lens trust me I've been there I've done that. Mike in AZ said that a towel will even melt onto the lens.
You are absolutely correct Robert....... The projector lens on the headlight concentrates the beam through a small portion of the plastic in the center of the lens. I discovered that the black Fender Grippers I sell are easy marks for this concentrated heat spot a couple years ago when I was working on a my own SSR. The fender gripper got hot enough to transfer the pattern of the rubber onto the plastic lens. I followed that discovery with a few "special" comments about my own cognitive abilities and IQ that can't be repeated here...... dang. I'm so sorry you had to experience this too, my friend.

I was able to polish out the screw-up with 2000 grit wet/dry paper and then some polishing compound and plastic polish. The pattern is gone, but the slight crazing in the lens remains.

I now send a warning sheet with every Fender Gripper I sell......... see below.

Please note that a dark towel will get hot enough to also melt marks into the lens.................

Regards,

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Is this happening to anyone using the clear plastic material that you see for sale to cover just the headlights themselves? Anyone who has this on their lights have you had any problems?

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,356 Posts
My '06 FPR had some type of covering on the Headlights when I bought it 3+ years ago and no problem!! But I don't the brand or where they came from.

Nick

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,778 Posts
I purchased the Headlight Armor light kit back in July of last year and installed the film shortly thereafter and have had no problems. My film is "HID blue" to coordinate with the R's color.

Dave

·
DSTRSSR
526 Posts
I had the clear (3M) protector on my headlights without any problems until I started the truck with one of Mike's Fender Gripper covering the headlight, the heat of the headlight melted the Fender Gripper onto the light.

·
Premium Member
9,312 Posts
I am the proud owner of a brand new headlight, because I did the same thing, and melted Mike's fender pad to the headlight. I had the parking brake lever pulled up to prevent the headlights from coming on, but apparently released it at some point and didn't noticed.

The damage to the headlight was severe enough that it actually blistered, and was not repairable.

I also had some choice words for myself about my IQ.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Is this happening to anyone using the clear plastic material that you see for sale to cover just the headlights themselves? Anyone who has this on their lights have you had any problems?
The 3M, and similar, protectant films are designed to withstand the heat of the projector lamps.

David :blur:

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I am the proud owner of a brand new headlight, because I did the same thing, and melted Mike's fender pad to the headlight. I had the parking brake lever pulled up to prevent the headlights from coming on, but apparently released it at some point and didn't noticed.

The damage to the headlight was severe enough that it actually blistered, and was not repairable.

I also had some choice words for myself about my IQ.
:|
Whew..........finally a (partial) explanation as to how the hell this could happen in the first place.

I've watched this post for a couple of days.......hanging back and not wanting to state the obvious............meaning if you're using a fender cover, that suggests you are stopped and have the hood up checking out something. In that scenario, why would ya need to have the headlights on.?????

·
Premium Member
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whew..........finally a (partial) explanation as to how the hell this could happen in the first place.

I've watched this post for a couple of days.......hanging back and not wanting to state the obvious............meaning if you're using a fender cover, that suggests you are stopped and have the hood up checking out something. In that scenario, why would ya need to have the headlights on.?????
This post just put on this morning, you must of read some other post. but to answer your question. on all the SSR's that if seen the headlights come on when key is turned on. I neglected not to pull E-brake. With engine running lights are on.

·
Premium Member
9,312 Posts

Unless you yank the parking brake lever, the running lights come on, and if you are in a garage, it is dark enough for the dash sensor to bring the headlights to full power whenever the engine is running.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,356 Posts
Soooo I wonder if the film some how reduces the heat!? We know the Film does not bubble---so any volunteer to put a fender cover over a headlight with Film on it? NOT ME!!! But I will touch it and check the temp on mine and Kathy's, without Film, with my infrared thermometer tomorrow, and compare the two.

Nick

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,004 Posts
Anybody put in LED Headlights?
Same problem?
I’ve got HIDs installed. They work great, and don’t seem to get that hot, but one could imagine they might. I’ll throw the temp gun in the bag and do some comparative measurements at the tech day.

As Jim Rockford’s answering message would end:
“I’ll get back to you”

-Robert
:silver:

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
"Unless you yank the parking brake lever, the running lights come on, and if you are in a garage, it is dark enough for the dash sensor to bring the headlights to full power whenever the engine is running."

OK, in my case I usually would not run the engine in the garage cause it's attached to the house and can stink up the whole place. Also, with a six speed trans I'm certainly gonna try to remember to have the parking brake on if I was running the engine......and I guess you're saying that the brake on (kills) the lights.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Come on, guys, it's not the lens that gets hot, its whatever is laying over it! Its the same reason my black Border collie is so comfortable out doors in the winter, and miserable in the summer!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts