Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dash warning lights comes on after driving about 5 miles. After driving and things warm up it may not come on after restarting?????? I remember reading something once about some module that could be the issue? Anyone got some information about this one? My SSR is a Black 2003 with 50100 miles. Love it. Have had it for 13 years now.
Hope someone out there will have a suggestion for me.
Thank you in advance, ROFALI:smile2:

·
Premium Member
7,432 Posts
Probably your ABS Module. Mine comes on and off. I installed Mike's Heat Shield which really helped. Actually never comes on while driving Highway speeds, just when driving in town (Nashville) the heat from the motor, I guess makes ABS & Emergence Dash Lights come on. Like you said if it sets a little while it doesn't come back on unless it gets real hot. Yes, it's annoying when the lights come on and it goes "ding, ding, ding"

tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,449 Posts
The dash warning lights comes on after driving about 5 miles. After driving and things warm up it may not come on after restarting?????? I remember reading something once about some module that could be the issue? Anyone got some information about this one? My SSR is a Black 2003 with 50100 miles. Love it. Have had it for 13 years now.
Yes, a well known issue from GM on many vehicles that have the same ABS unit. Whether the units are installed in the engine compartment, under the truck near the exhaust or on the passenger side, all of these Hayes units have the same issue with cold solder joints or a bad transistor.

Sometimes resoldering the internal connections help and sometimes it needs to be sent out for rebuild. I offer $20 resoldering that is about 98% effective if you are interested, but there are many videos on Youtube that will walk you through the procedure if you have a decent soldering iron and know how to use it. You can also send it out to one of many shops for about $140 for a rebuild with guaranteed results.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,092 Posts
Is it Service brake or Service ABS light that is coming on? They can be different issues.
If brake Service light then your brake fluid may be low, or the fluid level sensor is going bad or the connection is loose or dirty.
If ABS light it may be a bad ABS wheel sensor.
If both ABS and Brake warning is on then most likely its the ABS Module.
Go to an Auto parts store and have them scan the codes and report back what it read. That may narrow it down.
Greg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, a well known issue from GM on many vehicles that have the same ABS unit. Whether the units are installed in the engine compartment, under the truck near the exhaust or on the passenger side, all of these Hayes units have the same issue with cold solder joints or a bad transistor.

Sometimes resoldering the internal connections help and sometimes it needs to be sent out for rebuild. I offer $20 resoldering that is about 98% effective if you are interested, but ...
What if you are a daily driver? Can the vehicle be driven while the unit is out for repair?

Thanks,

Pat

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,449 Posts
What if you are a daily driver? Can the vehicle be driven while the unit is out for repair?

Thanks,

Pat
Yes, you can drive it without the module as it controls the ABS function only. The brake lines are still connected and functioning, just will not have ABS while driving. I would cover with some aluminum foil to keep dirt out and not drive when it is raining.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,092 Posts
Fanatics... please. From Rofali's description we don't even know what light was coming on. Let's wait for more info before recommending repairs that may not be needed yet. Get ALL the relevant information available, rule out the simple stuff then make a recommendation.
Greg

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,449 Posts
Fanatics... please. From Rofali's description we don't even know what light was coming on. Let's wait for more info before recommending repairs that may not be needed yet. Get ALL the relevant information available, rule out the simple stuff then make a recommendation.
Greg
Well whoop-de-doo "baehr" we're just tryin' to help. :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:
Greg is correct, I usually just jump the the thing I think about most, the ABS unit, but there are other things that can cause lights to come on. If you are getting lights and a chime it is likely the ABS unit, if just a light then as noted you might just need a sensor or fluid top off.

Note that most code readers will NOT read ABS trouble codes, you might need to go to the dealer to get this done. See what they will charge you for a diagnostic fee before going. You might be better off price wise to just to send it to me or someone else nearby and resolder the joints if you can get it off and back on easily. That is if all fingers point to the ABS as being the most likely culprit.

Exactly what light is coming on and does anything else happen at same time?

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,631 Posts
Note that most code readers will NOT read ABS trouble codes, you might need to go to the dealer to get this done.
Very true! I have an Innova 3150e, Innova 3160e and a MaxiCheck Pro hand held scanners that will read ABS subsystem codes. The default behavior is to read the general/generic codes. You have to navigate to a menu location that has it work with the ABS subsystem to read/clear codes.

Just last week, I used the Innova 3150e to read the ABS codes for a 2004 SSR that recently had the ABS module replaced with a unit purchased from rockauto.com and installed by a local shop. The scanner retrieved eight codes (seven stored one active). I cleared the ABS codes and it immediately generated two new ABS codes (which were in the previous list of eight). The new board is likely bad or somehow not grounded/installed correctly.

If you happen to have an auto parts store in your area that offers to read your car's DTCs, please verify if their scanner can retrieve ABS subsystem codes? It's also worthwhile to see if there are generic/general DTCs (non ABS related) as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts