Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just made a mistake guys and thought I'd better alert everyone else so they can avoid making the same mistake.

I had a custom dyno tune done on my SSR a few days ago, because while costly, it absolutely optimizes YOUR specific engine. The dyno tuning was done with the technician using HP Tuner, the current hot product for doing this kind of tuning. HP Tuner is a costly program intended for professional use, and so you dont't carry a spare" backup of your custom ECU programming with you. If your program gets lost via a GM reflash or some other event, you go back to your tuner to get it reloaded from his backup files.

Since I got this tuning done in Atlanta, and live in Austin, this is not conveneient, so part of my deal with the tuner was that he would back up BOTH the custom program AND the factory program for me on a CD. That way, I just need to find another tuner who uses HP Tuner if I need the software replaced onto my SSR for any reason.

However, I thought I would buy a Diablo Predator as well for several reasons. here is what i THOUGHT I could do:

1. Since the Predator downloads your stock program FIRST before allowing you to upload the preator program to your ECU, I figured this would be a really good way to BACK UP my custom program in a device that does NOT require HP Tuner to access. and that I could literally carry with me whenever I wanted on out of town trips.

2. I reasoned that after backing up my custom program on the Predator, I could use the Predator's capability to modify a stock factory program (the Predator can do this instead of uploading its own custom program). I would modify only my shift points, which the tuner did not do with HP Tuner as a wrong guess would require one or multiple eturn trips to his shop at $xx per time.

3. I figured I could also simply try the stock Predator program and see how it differed from what a technician and HP Tuner had developed for me.

Turns out, I can do NONE of the above! At least according to Diablosport.

To summarize their answers down, the Predator will NOT interact at all with a vehicle that has anything other than stock factory program. I think this is to protect both you and Diablosport, by preventing you from altering engine parameters (like timing or fuel/air ratio) that have ALREADY been altered by another means, to a level dangerous to the engine or vehicle.

So, if your SSR's ECU program has already been altered, do NOT buy a Predator! You won't be able to use it! If you set your program back to stock, a Predator MIGHT work, but before buying one, ask Diablosport! I also do not know how minor the chnage from stock has to be for the Predator to say "not stock". I would assume ANY change is a problem. I did not bother to ask this as I want to keep my custom program, not take it off.

Unfortunately, because this possibility never even occurred to me, I had already bought a Predator before I emailed them to "just check" that what I was about to do was not a problem. That's when they told me "no go".

The one I bought is brand new, so if anyone is looking to buy one for their STOCK programmed SSR, give me a shout via email:
[email protected]

Jim G

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Jim,

I thought that you wanted to just back up the HPTune incase say the dealer flashed the ecu so you could put it back. Diablosport said that it would not back it up? I know you would not be able to change the tune that HPtune has done but I do not see why you could not back up that tune and then install the Diablosport tune and modify it.

I will call John down there, he is there GM programmer and have a chat with him about this..It sound slike the programer is looking at certain information when it backup's the prgram. I know it looks for the VIN but that was all I thought it did..

Stay tuned..No pun intended....

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Boosted! Like you, I don't understand why the simple backup of an existing program would be a problem . Like you said, I do NOT want to modify the HP Tuner program, just back it up.

Once I have it backed up, it would be NICE to be able to REPLACE it temporarily with the Predator program, and play with shift points, and see what it feels like.

Of ocurse the ultimate WOULD have been:
- Back up the HP Tuner program
- Leave the ENGINE portions of the HP Tuner program completely unaltered (they ARE optimized for my specific engine), but be able to edit the TRANSMISSION parameters. THAT would have been VERY cool. :)

Jim G

1 - 5 of 5 Posts