Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We normally don't get much/any rain here ,but yesterday, we did have our share. 1st of seasonal rains. It wasn't a downpour just few sprinkles .
After 5 minutes of driving, I noticed dripping water leaking into the cockpit from both sides of the window -- sides of roof where the 2 pieces of the retracting roof adjoins. I am.soooo...f......s....mf.....mad :mad :rant
I read about the water leak from past threads however, I didn't realize it was this severe. I hate to think how much water would leak if it was a downpour and I was driving on the highway....
My SSR is a daily commuter, its raining harder today, should I take a taxi?

Those of you living in more rain prone areas.. I hate to think what is going through your minds..
Is there TSB about this?
I don't want to leave my baby at the service with no certainty of getting it repaired

I can't believe I've paid $50 Gs for a car that leaks. and squicks, creeks........s...... f .....GD..... :rant

Understanding and being patient, patriotic towards Made in U.S.A. is one thing but can't drive because its raining is a bit too much to take in this 21st century.

Is the General still asleep and not understanding that there are other car makers who are making near perfect cars? :confused :confused :confused
Have I bought a car good for 8 months/yr? Where is the QC?

All good things must end and purhaps its about time for me to .
Lexus, Beemer 6 series, 350 roadster, choices are many
ARE YOU LISTENING DETROIT>>>> :seeya :seeya :seeya

I been driving mostly Japanese vehicles for the past 15 years(toy, hon) also mb. and I have absolutely no complaints about them.. The Odyssey, my wife's, for example,I believe ,is the most near perfect vehicle a family can own today!.
Due to past history, I had my doubts about gm cars, but because of its design, SSR was an impulse purchase and haven't regreted once until today.

I hate to say it but detroit you'd better wake up. You just lost one future family clan of car buyers and all their friends...

·
Registered
318 Posts
SaraJohn:

What a shame!!!! They must have made some improvements because I have an 04 that has zero leaks (knock on wood). I even run it through the power touchless car washes! That would indicate to me that there is a fix.... Good Luck!

Rainwater

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
My 2003 SSR has never leaked! EVER!!! It has been pouring here all summer and fall. The wettest year on record. Before you bail, keep in mind that problems do occur and that you need to take it back to the dealer for repair. You obviously have a seal problem around your windows or near the retractable top. Others have had leakage and it was from the bent rubber when the window went up the wrong way. This required some adjustments to the window. While water surging in like Niagra Falls is not the best news, the good news is it is probably covered under warranty and most likely an inexpensive fix for GM too. EVERY CONVERTIBLE LEAKS EVENTUALLY. WE HAVE HAD MANY GOOD ONES AND THEY ALL LEAK OVER TIME!!! The wear and tear on the seals just happens, but in your case, it is way too early for that. Just like computers when they go haywire and cause you hours of frustration, it is usually a small thing that causes the big headaches. Get it fixed and stay with us you guys!!! This little problem is not worth dumping the most fun vehicle on the road today! Good luck and best wishes resovling your problems. I can say personally my dealer has been extremely helpful with any probs. I have had with my vehicle, unlike some of the Ford guys and foreign folks.:thumbs

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys

Through torential downpour today, I experimented going 50 - 70. The water is seaping through between the two rubber seals of the roof. The drip was so bad I stopped to squeeze in two lg towels one on each side between the seat and the roof. Funny thing, when I cracked the window open about 3/4 inches hardly no water dripped in( only at 60+ miles). Anyhow, I'll take the advice and take it to the dealer, its about time to change the oil anyway.
Thanks for the supports!!

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Your water issues sound totally different than our window leaks in the past. I think you have a bad seal and they should be able to order that and get it replaced in one day. Maybe the heat has been to hot on the seal and you need lube on it. Sorry that you are so upset. go soak in the Hot Springs maybe things will look better then.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Wildcat's suggestion sounds wonderful! We do really hope you get it fixed soon and are able to enjoy your SSR. Believe me, this vehicle will bring you years of pleasure. It is just too fun for words you guys. Hang in there. :thumbs

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
Bad luck?

wildcat66 said:
Your water issues sound totally different than our window leaks in the past. I think you have a bad seal and they should be able to order that and get it replaced in one day. Maybe the heat has been to hot on the seal and you need lube on it. Sorry that you are so upset. go soak in the Hot Springs maybe things will look better then.
I agree with rainwater, cruzn-Ed & Machell, I think you are the only one that I know of that has that bad of a leak problem on here. I hope that your negative experiences will soon be a long lost bad memory.

The SSRs are the most WILD, EXCITING, and FUN vehicle on the road today! ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY :cool

·
Registered
413 Posts
mine has never leaked even in high pressure carwash

·
Registered
222 Posts
Don't panic!!!! YET!!!!

OK so u got a little water inside ur baby. DON'T PANIC!!! :cuss Most of us hav had a leak or 2. :mad

I noticed my leaks while washing her. Yes, I live in SoFla but she almost NEVER is out in the rain unless we get 1 of those surprise gully washers n I can't get back 2 the barn. :mad

Anyway, I took'r in 2 the dealer n we found that the windows needed 2 b realigned. It took'm a few hours 2 do it n PRESTO it was all fixed. Now as far as that pesky wind noise goes...that 2 seems 2 hav diminished from what it was doin at 90+mph. Below that....I don't know cause I hav a midrange hearing loss which means I'm partially deaf. Also hav that tinnitus thing goin pretty good as well. ;) So it cud b screamin 4 all I know. ;) But my buds say its pretty quiet now. :thumbs

Besides....all those other rides u n others mentioned....well the people ridin in'm r LOOKIN AT U!!!!! :lol :lol :lol

·
0 Posts
Water Leaks

My two windows and roof leak like the top is down in a light rain. It's at the dealers now for 14 problems. Not to mention the sucky hood prop on the 04 that fell on me while checking the oil. They gave me a 05 Cadillac to drive with 1 mile on it, man o man what a ride. No top down but no problems either even in the rain. Really makes you think.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
If your prop rod let the hood come down on you, that means someone bent it and tried to straighten it as a fix. Once it is bent, it needs to be replaced. How did it get bent, the hood was open in the show room or at a show and someone tried to shut the hood with the prop rod up. This bends the rod without damaging the hood.

H

·
0 Posts
Dry 2004

I have a 2004, and have been caught in two torrential downpours with high winds in the first 3 days I had it. It was a great test, and no leaks at all. So I can check that off the list. Now, I just have to deal with the roof getting scuffed when I put it down because one of the wire bundles on the passenger side bulges out as it's going by. Anyone else have this issue? :ssr :confused

1 - 13 of 13 Posts