Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Spirited driver!
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on a cross-country trip and discovered that the bed of the truck is absorbing a large amount of water. I searched and saw some older posts about adding silicone in certain areas to make the seal better but I'm not really getting the concept. Is there anyone out here in SC or GA that can show me how to fix this? My CA truck is not used to all this wet stuff and neither are all the clothes and things in the very full bed of the truck! PM me or text/call after 9am EST at (925) 989-4010

Thanks,
Lance

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Bruce Had that problem as well....he’s on the Forum as Stlouishtrd. I think the roof storage cover weatherstrip was the issue...not the cargo lid weatherstrip.

Dane

·
Premium Member
19,725 Posts
Lance I know Robert ballet had a fix for this . He is the guy that videos at your tech with dictator

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Yes my 04 had leaks on both the roof storage and the bed cover. I went around the seals and cleaned them real good and found they were both torn in small places. My fix was to replace the seals. Also could it be you have something pushing up on the bed cover keeping it up in the front? You might try to tighten it up with the bolts at the hinge to see if you can get it tighter on the front a little.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,684 Posts
Seal at Tailgate

Here's a photo of the seal installed around the lower tailgate corner near the hinge where water can enter the bed. What you see here is a piece of windshield washer hose installed in place with clear silicone adhesive window or tub caulking.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I am on a cross-country trip and discovered that the bed of the truck is absorbing a large amount of water. I searched and saw some older posts about adding silicone in certain areas to make the seal better but I'm not really getting the concept. Is there anyone out here in SC or GA that can show me how to fix this? My CA truck is not used to all this wet stuff and neither are all the clothes and things in the very full bed of the truck! PM me or text/call after 9am EST at (925) 989-4010

Thanks,
Lance
im sure you already noticed this, but if you open the cover when it is wet, the water has no where to go but into the bed. I carry a squeegee in the cab and remove all water before opening cover. I have traced water leaks to the top corners on the rear of the bed as others on this forum have indicated. I installed a line of silicone to create a better channel for water to run down the drain path GM attempted to create. This fix is in another post with pictures. Do a search. This fix after many trial and errors has helped a lot. Driving rain still is a problem.

·
Ret. Air Force
3,720 Posts
Sorry to hear this Lance; you will have all the help you could ever possible need in one week!!
Until then, Hefty bags around everything that gets put into the bed.
I too, like @Stlhotrod have had issues with the bed lid being pushed up too high, when closing it.
I over-packed at the front of the bed near the roof compartment. :frown2:

·
Spirited driver!
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for tips everyone.

Marc, I did see the post by shiftz33

It does look like the cover is a little high at the front. I will probably have to wait until the rally next week to make the adjustment. Meanwhile I will check all around the seal for issues before we hot the road today.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,610 Posts

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Wife in the cargo area

Put my wife in the storage area to see if she could see and light coming in, :wink2:OH better get back out there and let her out.>:)

Don't have a wife / someone to check from the inside? Well you can place a piece of copy paper on top of the lid gasket then close, if you can pull it out with no resistance that could be the problem spot /area. Got to go and let the little lady out the back.

·
Spirited driver!
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For now I have everything encased in plastic sheeting and I will get it fixed with the help ofy.southern brotiat the rally next week when the sun is shining.

Thanks for letting me know where to look for the issues. I think I have multiple ones that need fixing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts