Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can’t figure out where it is coming from all i know is that the first thing get wet is that thick pad under my passenger side floor (under carpet) soaking wet been using a aqua towel to help dry it out and a leaf blower i don’t have anywhere to park it under so i finally went and bout a cover today to cover it. eventually going to get a shed or something just bought my ssr 3 weeks ago

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,181 Posts
can’t figure out where it is coming from all i know is that the first thing get wet is that thick pad under my passenger side floor (under carpet) soaking wet been using a aqua towel to help dry it out and a leaf blower i don’t have anywhere to park it under so i finally went and bout a cover today to cover it. eventually going to get a shed or something just bought my ssr 3 weeks ago
You have been having a lot of rain recently, if I remember my National Weather Broadcasts correctly. Sounds like maybe some leaves and debris in the area below the windshield and a plugged drain. I am sure others will check in and confirm or correct me but it is a place to start.

Reactions: travis

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi just fixed my exact same leak, just take off the a pillar cover, it’s held on by two rubber bungs at the bottom, just prise them out and one at the top by the windscreen, gently pull off cover, held by strong Velcro. Then pull the rubber away from the top and down the side as far as possible then get a tube of black sealant and run as much as you can down the rubber and Then push back on, clean up and Put bungs back in and press hard so the Velcro grips. Tip . put the top bung in first and put some kitchen paper or anything near the top of the rubber while you do it so it doesn’t drop down the hole. Also you will probably need new bungs, I think they are called Christmas tree bungs !,
I believe someone has done a feature on this fix with pictures which is what I copied, best of luck
Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi just fixed my exact same leak, just take off the a pillar cover, it’s held on by two rubber bungs at the bottom, just prise them out and one at the top by the windscreen, gently pull off cover, held by strong Velcro. Then pull the rubber away from the top and down the side as far as possible then get a tube of black sealant and run as much as you can down the rubber and Then push back on, clean up and Put bungs back in and press hard so the Velcro grips. Tip . put the top bung in first and put some kitchen paper or anything near the top of the rubber while you do it so it doesn’t drop down the hole. Also you will probably need new bungs, I think they are called Christmas tree bungs !,
I believe someone has done a feature on this fix with pictures which is what I copied, best of luck
Chris

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I had a problem with one of mine leaking into the passengers side floor board. I did the easy stuff first. I replaced the seal around the roof. That helped a little but was not the cause of the leak. I finally pulled the front rubber around the windshield and re sealed it. That solved my problem.

Remove the outer A pillar trim. There are 2 pins at the bottom. There is one at the top. You have to pull the rubber back to see it. A suggestion is to put a rag or roll up a paper towel and put it into the drain at the top of the windshield seal. I have changed A pillar trim several times and ended up dropping one of the pins down the seal so I do this now to keep from doing it again. Be prepared you might have to replace the Velcro on the A pillar trim.

There is also a screw on each side of the rubber trim in the corners by where the pin for the A pillar trim is at.

I also pulled the interior plastic trim across the top of the windshield and the inside A pillar trim.

The factory sealer they used to glue the rubber on with, doesn't dry up and get hard it stays a sort of jell like. It is a pain to get it all off the rubber and the truck because of the pinch weld. It took me 2 days to get mine done. Some important things to note. Most of the stuff made to clean adhesive off with is not good for use on rubber. I finally got a can of 3M adhesive remover from an auto parts store. That stuff will loosen it up and then you have to wipe it off with a paper towel. I used the blue heavy duty ones and went through 2 rolls of them. You can use Goo Gone on the body side if you wipe it down good after you get it all off. Goo Gone is NOT recommended for use on rubber.

I flipped the rubber over on a table and used a plastic trim tool wrapped with the paper towel to get in the groove of the rubber seal. I also used a regular flat bladed screw driver and worked slowly and carefully to not rip the rubber.

I used black ATV sealer I got from Auto Zone in the big tube with a caulk gun and put it on the truck then slipped the rubber weather strip back on. I put the screw back on one side and worked my way across the top with my wife holding the other side out of the way. I then got over to the passengers side and worked it into place.

The pins can be bought at Ace Hardware if you lose one. The RTV I got at Auto Zone. The 3M Adhesive remover I got at another auto parts store that carries some body shop supplies.

Tools: I had a caulk gun, flat screw driver, small thin pointed punch to hold the seal in place at the screw holes, a couple of plastic trim tools. A trim tool to pull the pins out with. The screws in the top I think are torqs bits. A couple rolls of paper towels, blue latex gloves several pairs.

I had my wife help when I put the rubber back on and that only took maybe 15-20 minutes of her time.

There is a good how to in Dicktator's Library on how to remove and replace the A pillar trim. There is a good thread someone else did on water leak repair that I used for a guide as well. I think I even added a picture of what I did on mine to it.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
where is the pillar cover?
The pillar cover is the trim on the out side that covers the steel frame of the windshield. It is held on with 3 plastic pins two at the bottom and one at the top.
Here is a link to the Library on the trim removal

There is also another roof seal repair in the Library.

·
SSR Enthusiast
207 Posts
I had the same issue as well here in Florida. It’s presently monsoon type rain and I’ve been battling leaks on my passenger side as well. My issues didn’t seem to stem from the A pillar and/or the windshield cowl area. I isolated my problem to the seal where the window meets the rubber at the bottom corner of the window. For some reason there was a small opening (maybe a 16th of an inch that was not sealing). I had to put some small pieces of door insulation in the track of the seal so that the window would pinch it and create a better seal. So far it’s holding up. The water drips in behind the passenger kick plate and then pools in the carpet pad. In addition to that leak, the same door seal was getting pinched at the top rear of the window and water was coming in that way. Pretty frustrating. I don’t have a garage either so I’m doing my best to get this rectified ASAP.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,181 Posts
I had the same issue as well here in Florida. It’s presently monsoon type rain and I’ve been battling leaks on my passenger side as well. My issues didn’t seem to stem from the A pillar and/or the windshield cowl area. I isolated my problem to the seal where the window meets the rubber at the bottom corner of the window. For some reason there was a small opening (maybe a 16th of an inch that was not sealing). I had to put some small pieces of door insulation in the track of the seal so that the window would pinch it and create a better seal. So far it’s holding up. The water drips in behind the passenger kick plate and then pools in the carpet pad. In addition to that leak, the same door seal was getting pinched at the top rear of the window and water was coming in that way. Pretty frustrating. I don’t have a garage either so I’m doing my best to get this rectified ASAP.
Your problem sounds like alignment issues. Check Dicktator's One Drive.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Here is a thread on the subject, the link leads to what I did to fix the leak (with pictures). Haven't had a leak problem since 2018:

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I had used Carlbush's thread as a guide. I checked on Goo Gone's website and it said they don't recommend using it on rubber. I also bought a big tube of RTV Silicone and used 3/4s of it.
Here are the things I used

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,338 Posts
Well it could also be the well that holds windshield wiper motor. You have a drain on each side of R, between fender and inside fender near windshield. I gets full of leaves, debris and won't let water drain.

Go to my SSR HOW TO LIBRARY: Look up WIPER MOTOR, look at motor well, we drilled 3/8's hole in bottom of well to keep water out. Also saves wiper PC Board from getting wet and damaged.

Look at WINDSEILD TRIM
Look at RUBBER SEALS this is a repair that really works on improving sealing roof.

Hope this helps.

Dicktator

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
It seems like there are 2 very distinct possible places the seals could be leaking. Either from the seal flattening out from time and pressure applied. Or from the seal meeting the body and leaking under the rubber seal. Has anyone found out a way to test for the 2 different possibilities? I did a visual inspection on mine and there was what looked like a dirt line around the rubber seal so I guessed it was sealing on the top side of the rubber.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check your passenger side window register. I have the same problem with my 04, When you have the p. side window down & send it up with door closed, it some times seals over the outside of seal... it should seal/sit INTO the seal, not GO OVER outside the seal... I think there is away to reset the registers with the up/down window toggles on console, but I can't remember where I saw this info on Forum. Might have been Dictators how to's or A list of things YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT SSR???

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,181 Posts
Up and Down limits can be set with the switch on the console but the tilt in or out needs to be done with the inner panel of the dor removed. All information is in Dicktator's One Drive

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
This won't help the seal issue but I've used WD-40 to remove glue residue on all kinds of surface's with no ill effects and it works better then Goo Gone. I threw away my Goo along time ago.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,892 Posts

You may want to read the recent post about shifting the window forward or backward to cure this

1 - 17 of 17 Posts