Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yikes. I bought my 2006 FPR Slingshot Yellow SSR in 2014. It had 1500 miles on it. Before completing the buy, I had the local GM dealer in Bozeman, Montana conduct an examination of the vehicle. All good except the water pump was leaking. The seller had it replaced and my beautiful new machine arrived in California within a few days. So happy.
Fast forward to 2015, when I took my SSR into our local GM dealer here in Indio, California for an oil change at 2848 miles. Hmmm. Water pump is leaking. Replaced under warranty so I was only asked to pay for the labor at $270. Fast forward again to this week and another oil change and once again, the water pump is leaking at 5098 miles! This time, the labor is $570 and the part may be replaced under warranty. What is going on? Help.
My other SSR (2005 Aqua Blur with 28000 miles located in Alberta, Canada) has never had a water pump issue.
Suggestions? Cautions?
I am not thread smart so hopefully, I have done this correctly.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Just like my brothers almost new old mini-van.........Each time he needed a part he bought a new one..........the problem was it was as old as the van.........I would consider buying a rebuilt water pump. NEW BEARING & SEALS. Just a thought.

Birdmans

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,012 Posts
I think I would try to find out where it is leaking? Gasket, bearing or what? Maybe a machined surface is bad or something. Might be a hose mis-diagnosed or whatever. Never heard of three water pumps in that short of time. I would contact Mike at Simple engineering being he sells the fans and special radiators and heater hoses he is kind of the cooling system GURU. I would talk with him about your problem. He may have a solution. Maybe some others will chime in here. Good luck.

Reactions: GMC T 7500

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
water pump

Was the pump just seeping from the weep hole, or outright leaking. Did they let you see it.
I am with Mike, approx. a 1 hour labor job. Dealers are very high pressure unless you are a loyal customer of many years. That is how they roll. I would find a trusted independent mechanic with a good reputation.

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,201 Posts
I had just replaced the water pump on my SSR due to a leak out the front of the shaft area. Not the weep hole. Mine had lasted 120k miles. The new replacement ACDelco one is different than the original being the back plate on the new one is not removable. Total job took about half hour - 45 minutes. The water pump was $247.

With that in mind, a dealer charging $347 would be acceptable, but not $540.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I would consider buying a rebuilt water pump. NEW BEARING & SEALS. Just a thought.

Birdmans
On a aluminum water pump, DO NOT BUY A REBUILT/REMAIN one. ONLY BUY NEW! A aluminum housing cannot be rebuilt reliably, as every time you press the bearing out and back in, it shaves the housing off and it will allow the bearing to be loose in the housing and fail in a short time.

This could be the cause of the OP's problem. A rebuilt pump.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,681 Posts
Water Pump Repeated Failure

As noted by others, some rebuilt water pumps are not of good quality and prone to early failure. Another possibility, although remote, is that there is an eccentric load being applied to the pump shaft, causing premature shaft seal wear and subsequent leakage. This was more common on older vehicles with grooved pulleys that could be misaligned. I've not heard of this happening with today's serpentine belt systems. But a visual examination on a failed pump of how the pump pulley tracks and checking for play in the shaft could be symptomatic of eccentric loading.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Well, two brand new defective AC Delco Water Pumps and 3 months to get a refund.
I had the original rebuilt by a friend who is a retired mechanic. Make sure that all the seals and hoses are seated properly.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
a little heat

On a aluminum water pump, DO NOT BUY A REBUILT/REMAIN one. ONLY BUY NEW! A aluminum housing cannot be rebuilt reliably, as every time you press the bearing out and back in, it shaves the housing off and it will allow the bearing to be loose in the housing and fail in a short time.

This could be the cause of the OP's problem. A rebuilt pump.
The expensive housing does not go bad. Only a few dollars of parts go bad. A special impregnated brass bearing and a seal. These thing are rebuilt on assemble lines after cleaning. I would think all of the housings are heated to remove the old bearing & the same with the install of [same]? The re builders also could use a slightly larger outside diameter bearing if what you say is true? no parts selling is going to stock any parts that keep coming back as bad. That is like saying you can't replace worn valve guides in an Aluminum head.............I guess your supposed to buy new head also? Re-building is a big business.......
my 2nd 2-cents

Birdmans

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Well, two brand new defective AC Delco Water Pumps and 3 months to get a refund.
I had the original rebuilt by a friend who is a retired mechanic. Make sure that all the seals and hoses are seated properly.
Might you inform us aprox..........the cost of the parts? In 1965 and working for a dealer that is all Gm would pay for AND this was warranty on a brand new car.

Birdmans

·
Registered
463 Posts
I originally purchased an Edelbrock Water Pump Repair for an SSR because of the higher recommendations.
The shaft was too short and other parts did not fit.
So, my friend went to Napa and got all the right parts for $50.
The moral of the story is that you have to know what you are doing and what to ask for.

·
SSR Enthusiast
1,491 Posts
Personally, I would be in doubt there was a water pump leak at all.
You don't need an oil change to see antifreeze in you parking spots.

This is literally an hour repair without air tools.
As far as the labor of $570; I would consider that criminal (at least it should be) and you should consider sharing the "Facts" about this price gouging dealership's name here, Facebook, Yelp, and anywhere else you can think of.

You are being quoted/charged what ever they think you might pay; however, there are several LS2 6.0 vehicles in the repair manual for time/repair costs.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The expensive housing does not go bad. Only a few dollars of parts go bad. A special impregnated brass bearing and a seal. These thing are rebuilt on assemble lines after cleaning. I would think all of the housings are heated to remove the old bearing & the same with the install of [same]? The re builders also could use a slightly larger outside diameter bearing if what you say is true? no parts selling is going to stock any parts that keep coming back as bad. That is like saying you can't replace worn valve guides in an Aluminum head.............I guess your supposed to buy new head also? Re-building is a big business.......
my 2nd 2-cents

Birdmans
First off I have had to use rebuilt aluminum water pumps and had to replace them after at most 6 months after installing them. They had failed because the bearing was loose in them, which in turn took out the seal.
What you are describing as a water pump bearing was many, many years ago. New water pumps use ball bearings in them. I know rebuilding is big business, but the biggest rebuilder A-1 Cardone, produces junk now. Have used their parts and had to replace them several times before getting a good one.

If you don't believe what I have said about aluminum water pumps, go and talk with a long time parts guy and they will tell you don't go with a rebuilt aluminum water pump, only go new.

As for aluminum heads, it goes both ways, can and cannot be rebuilt. All depends on what is wrong with them.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow. Thanks Guys. Your feedback is much appreciated. I must admit that I am not a mechanic and this is new territory for a computer guy. Personally, I have neither the tools or the experience to tackle a replacement by myself. A couple of answers though to some of the questions:
1. The Bozeman, Montana GM dealer: Ressler Motors
2. The Indio, California GM dealer: Coachella Valley Buick GMC on Highway I-10
I have tried to take a photo of the issue but it appears to be a leak around the piping connecting the hose to the metal housing of the pump assembly.
Such a mess. Who can afford a new water pump every time they get an oil change?
I am expect the local GM dealer to call me today with an update. They were struggling to understand why I was only charged $270 in 2015 for the labor when they expect $570 today??? Either way, I am frustrated at all of this.
Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Wow. They were struggling to understand why I was only charged $270 in 2015 for the labor when they expect $570 today??? Either way, I am frustrated at all of this.
Thanks again.
I agree with a comment Mike made earlier about the labor charges.
I am struggling with how they think its $570 labor. -- I lost the subscription to factory service manuals at school but the two aftermarket labor guides I have list 2.1 or 3.1 hours for water pump R&R and bleed system, maybe add .5 for pressure test (looks like it was not required).
What is their hourly rate $250?
What else are they doing?
I do not think you need to have it flushed again after two or three previous pumps, I believe that would be an attempt to flush your wallet!

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I own a shop...
I just quoted out this job as a curiosity... BOOK TIME (flat rate labor) is 2.10hrs.... at my shop the labor rate is 100.00 per hour... so that is 210.00... My Price for an NEW AC Delco Pump 131.43. which brings you to a total of 341.43 + tax. That is assuming I will reuse the coolant that only has 2000 miles on it. They are telling you, you are only being charged for labor when in fact you are being charged for the total parts and labor. The margins that deales charge can be in the excess of 70% ... I've seen it and had to pay it..... The pump currently on and leaking would be a reman by my guess at the picture..... I have seen many ..... it is the same style pump used an almost all LS type engines..... Find yourself a GOOD Local shop..... By Federal Law you DO NOT have to use a dealership for warranty repair as long as the shop being used is registered and licensed at least here in Washington. My advice... go find a good reputable shop for the water pump repair and future Oil Changes.
Cruz
Cruzers Auto

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,004 Posts
HARD........To believe the problem ends up being the pressed in pipe on the water pump?

Birdmans
FWIW: The very same issue had happened on mine when I bought it 5yrs ago at 29K miles, and I saw another one in the same state a couple weekends back (on an 04?).

My initial thought when I saw mine was, how hard was some yanking on the hose to cause the leak?.. but the hoses were original.

Mine was replaced under the extended warranty at the dealer and the weeping around the pressed in pipe was gone, so I was the antifreeze smell. Since it was replaced under the extended warranty, I didn’t pay attention to how much it cost.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
cost

I own a shop...
I just quoted out this job as a curiosity... BOOK TIME (flat rate labor) is 2.10hrs.... at my shop the labor rate is 100.00 per hour... so that is 210.00... My Price for an NEW AC Delco Pump 131.43. which brings you to a total of 341.43 + tax. That is assuming I will reuse the coolant that only has 2000 miles on it. They are telling you, you are only being charged for labor when in fact you are being charged for the total parts and labor. The margins that deales charge can be in the excess of 70% ... I've seen it and had to pay it..... The pump currently on and leaking would be a reman by my guess at the picture..... I have seen many ..... it is the same style pump used an almost all LS type engines..... Find yourself a GOOD Local shop..... By Federal Law you DO NOT have to use a dealership for warranty repair as long as the shop being used is registered and licensed at least here in Washington. My advice... go find a good reputable shop for the water pump repair and future Oil Changes.
Cruz
Cruzers Auto
wouldn't you be giving the water pump away at your cost?

Bird

1 - 20 of 27 Posts