Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 SSR chevy slingshot yellow
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the wife out for an adventure in the R today , we took a long ride to Dolly Sods wildlife refuge. On top of a mountain in Wild and wonderful West Virginia, 4000 feet above sea level, really rough dirt road up , we got to the top and went to turn around to find a parking spot, put it in park so she could get out and look around, what a view. Only thing the R would not come out of park . Not the adventure we hoped for had to wait for a Rollback to get us off the mountain most of the day no water or food or bathroom no fun. Once again the R let us down . Anyone want to buy a slingshot R .
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant

·
Tech Support/Research
1,885 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience today but this does not sound like a major issue. It could be as simple as replacing the shifter interlock solenoid in the console, part of the shifter asembly. The part number is AC Delco 88967140. But also check the circuit for a possible blown fuse (#25 in the underhood fuse block) and check both the solenoid and stop lamp switch to ensure their connections are tight. There are other straightforward electrical tests of this system to pinpoint and solve the issue. BTW, nice looking SSR!

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It turn out that the shifter cable came off the transmission. the shifter would move but it would still say it was in park on the dash. I could not get under the R to see thit till I got it somewhere I could Jack it up. Problem now is the wife said she wont go anywhere she can't walk home from in the R. Witch make the R useless to me since bought it so we could take trips in it. She does not trust the R anymore. She want a truck or SUV . Witch sucks I don't like SUVs or just old Joe's truck that ever ******* in WV has. Sorry any of you are truck loving ********. LOL. the R is listed on Graig list in Winchester VA $18,500 , but would take less. I'm not really keen on selling it .just trying to make Tammy happy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Sorry to hear your misfortune. How long have you had your truck and have you looked at this forum. There has been 1000's of post about the gear shift linkage breaking. There are several inexpensive fixes that should be done to have piece of mind. That gear shift grommet is a GM problem not only to SSR. Here is a permanent fix. The plastic bushing the wears out because of heat is replaced with a metal one. Transmission Shifter Repair Kit – Simple Engineering, LLC

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know posted it just to make wife happy, priced it a little more than I think someone would want to pay. I bought it last year , April 2020 as retirement gift for me. To replace the 73 mustang I gave up to cheap . Thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
With all due respect to your wife, I wondered
if she ever encountered a flat tire, dead battery,
etc. Having the "R" (yellow 💛💛💛) will give you
many, many miles of enjoyment!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
It turn out that the shifter cable came off the transmission. the shifter would move but it would still say it was in park on the dash. I could not get under the R to see thit till I got it somewhere I could Jack it up. Problem now is the wife said she wont go anywhere she can't walk home from in the R. Witch make the R useless to me since bought it so we could take trips in it. She does not trust the R anymore. She want a truck or SUV . Witch sucks I don't like SUVs or just old Joe's truck that ever *** in WV has. Sorry any of you are truck loving ****. LOL. the R is listed on Graig list in Winchester VA $18,500 , but would take less. I'm not really keen on selling it .just trying to make Tammy happy
There is a difference between witch and which. Perhaps you have studied Freud?

Dave

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Frankly, I can appreciate the sentiment, CharleSSR. I know my wife was never really keen on my SSR but she accepted it as long as it got us from point A to point B. I was fortunate that it never left me hanging. But if it ever had, I would have been in the exact same spot as you. Best of luck to you.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sure some people who are married know how there wives can be unreasonable. When we got to the top of the mountain the first thing she said was I have to go to the bathroom. And was no where she could go, 75 on more cars up there people everywhere no trees only bushes , plus first day of bear season hunters everywhere, she was freaking out. We broke down in front of Bear rocks preserve, they call it that for a reason. I've listed it but hope it won't sell, i told her I list it for a month. Being the 6th owner will turn must off. Plus some part of the front end have been repainted at some point, though no listed wrecks. And the hood is a little high on the driver side where the hinge is, not sure if it can be adjusted or if hinges need replaced . List of problems it had, first it was the leaking caliper, new Power-Stop brakes, then blew the pressure line off the steering rack, new rack. Then it was the dash pod , used pod (thank to Dictator). Now there a cut on the sidewall of the front right tire. needs new tires in front. not yet replaced. And the shifter cable. More money more money. She's getting fed up with it. and I keep spending. Trying to keep it in good order. Not to mention all the things I've done already and the things I want to do. $$$$ you know what I mean. No the door handle is not pink reflection off red car next to the the R
Tire Vehicle registration plate Grille Car Vehicle
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: !
Wait you know my wife

·
Premium Member
7,723 Posts
So "Good Time Charlie Has Got The Blues" Don't throw in the towel, that's one good lookin' "ChuckeyCheese" (Slingshot Yellow). Surely you can find someone around your area that can go over your SSR with a fine tooth combe and fix all the problems you are having. Damn, they are fun, fun, fun vehicles but, as I've said a few times before, these "Funmobiles" are gettin' some age on them and need some Tender Lovin' Care which Webster's Dictionary defines as "Maintenance" Don't give up Charlie, buckle up and "Git er Dun" (That's get 'er Fixed) there's no more fun than Cruising' to places like you mentioned. Somebody help CharleSSR !!! He's on SSRfanatic Life Support !!! (y):)(y):)(y):)(y):)(y)

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been wrenching on cars (and everything that has nuts bolts or electrons) since I was 14 back in 1971, took every shop class in school except auto shop they said my grades weren't good enough, yet they let me take electrons and i had not taken algebra (a requirement for that) worked on copy machines for Xerox 33 yrs. I built my mustang from ground up, painted it,(painted 7 vehicle to learn to paint the stang) installed vinyl top, replaced all interior , and running gear. Not much I can't fix. .... I haven't given up but sometimes when you fix things as a job and get home and find more things need fixed, then your brother and friends all call you to fix there things it starts to be overwhelming. Then you get stranded by the car you trusted, on a hot day no shade in site , wife complaining ,well you get the idea .

·
Premium Member
2005 Slingshot, 6 speed manual
17,543 Posts
All I can say is I hope it doesn’t sell. (Unless you really want it to go.)

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
4,864 Posts
Hope your luck changes soon! Most of us have pretty dependable SSR's. Road trips to SSR Rallies from Ohio to Daytona, 3 times to Maggie Valley, NC, Huntsville, Alabama, Branson, MO. and Deadwood, SD all with zero issues! Several trucks from California and Arizona attended the the International Rally in Ohio. One truck has over 260,000 miles on it and never think twice about a cross country trip. Follow the advise of others on this forum for necessary upgrades and you'll reduce your possibilities of being broke down somewhere. That shift cable bushing has been a known issue that WILL strand you sooner rather than later... Why so many refuse to buy that $15 upgraded replacement I have no idea. Sorry you found out the hard way and got your wife all ticked off... 😢
May you have a smoother road ahead! 😉

1 - 20 of 27 Posts