Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SSR started biting the upper seal on the passenger window same as reported below. The dealer didn't believe me when I reported this had happened to others and the solution was to adjust the window tilt.

After replacing the seal, (it runs around three sides of the top panel) the bite was worse. Now, they were willing to adjust the window. They too, ran into the problem where putting the inside trim panel back on caused the window to tilt back outward. To correct this, they had to, crank the tilt adjustment all the way over.

I'm suprised that putting the inner trim panel on could cause the window tilt to change.

Quote from houtex:
I had that problem significantly when I first got the car. Dealer had to open the door panel and realign the window - also found that replacing the pane altered the fix, so they had to allow for that the second time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i'm having the same problem with my driver side window. i was at the dealers last friday. he said to try this silcone he gave me ( it looks like a lip gloss bottle) if that doesn't work he will try to adjust the window. its not working, i will tell him that the window tilt should work, he doesn't want to replace the seal cause he is afraid it'll make it worse, thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
help

ZR-2 said:
i'm having the same problem with my driver side window. i was at the dealers last friday. he said to try this silcone he gave me ( it looks like a lip gloss bottle) if that doesn't work he will try to adjust the window. its not working, i will tell him that the window tilt should work, he doesn't want to replace the seal cause he is afraid it'll make it worse, thanks for the info.
Tell them to call Mac Haik Chevy in Houston. Service guy is Brad Belota. They were able to help with Wildcat's window through her dealer in Dallas. Tell them to check the service records on John Auth's SSR.

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,334 Posts
So far, this issue is the ONLY problem I have had with my truck. The driver's side door glass catches on a 2 inch section of weatherstrip and tucks it under the glass instead of on top. I have tried the silicone grease routine with no relief. I guess the next step is to adjust the door glass and hope I don't make it any worse! :confused

·
Registered
97 Posts
Have the same problem on the driver door glass. Is the glass pinching the inboard or outboard rubber. Mine is pinching the outboard. Auto drop down is not sufficent to pass the bump in the outboard rubber when I close the door.

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,334 Posts
3Rods, mine is also pinching the outboard rubber. When I am outside the vehicle, I can carefully put my finger in the weatherstrip "groove" and pull out that 2 inch section so it lays on top of the glass like the rest of the strip.

(I haven't figured out how to do it when I'm INSIDE the truck though! :lol )

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The inside door trim defines the location of the inside glass seal and the location of the glass. The factory uses a tool that simulates the trim when they adjust the glass. This occurs on line quite a bit before the inside trim is attached.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
freezer said:
The inside door trim defines the location of the inside glass seal and the location of the glass. The factory uses a tool that simulates the trim when they adjust the glass. This occurs on line quite a bit before the inside trim is attached.
So this means what? That the inner seal plays a part in locating the glass. Why do I suspect that the seal location is not readily adjustable, or is it that the seal is a little stiffer or fatter than is desirable?

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Dead Horse

I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but the problem is not with the seal - it's in the window alignment - adjustable by the dealer after removing the door panel. The voodoo comes from allowing for the amount of "push" that happens when the panel is re-installed. I've had both sides fixed by the dealer using the same method. Same exact problem - the window "bites" the outside of the upper seal.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Dead Horse?

:confused The current seal under discussion is the one at the base of the window on the inside. It is attached to the inside door panel. This is the same seal that so frustrates the window tinters. It pushes the window outward fighting the tip in adjustment. Leading to the upper seal getting bit.

Freezer: Can this seal be adjusted with a heat gun? Or is it better left well enough alone?

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,334 Posts
This kind of window alignment issue is sure not unique to the SSR. Any vehicle that has a removeable top, T-tops, convertibles, etc. all have issues with door glass alignment to the roof weatherstrips. Alignment is provided for in the design of the door glass mounting system. If one is to move the bottom of the glass regulator outward (toward the outer panel of the door), the top of the glass will in turn move inward toward the roof with the inner belt moulding (the "strip" we have been talking about) acting as the fulcrum for the adjustment. Sounds simple huh?? In actuality LOTS of other items and angles and regulator arc, etc come into play, so it's usually a "trial and error" adjustment. The pain is that the inner trim panel has to be installed and removed for every try. That's why the weatherstrip "bite" issue hasn't bugged me enough yet to do anything about it.

(Sorry 'bout the long post)

Blast

·
Registered
97 Posts
Finally got my service manual for the 2004. Refered to it for the fore-aft adjustment of the driver window pinch problem.Removed the door panel, located the front and rear positioning bolts. Loosened both to allow the adjustment. Above the rear bolt is a white plasticbutton with a screwdriver slot. The slot was in the 12 o'clock position. Turned it clockwise to approx 1. Actual lateral movement of the glass approx 1/16.Tighten the two positioning bolts and temporarally hung the door panel back on. Yes the inside panel does push the window outboard. Closed and opened the door 10 times. Window drop is sufficient and I didn't compromise the seal.
This worked for me. Hope it will work for others.

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,334 Posts
Great info, 3Rods!! Thank you much. Also, is that the Helm manual you're referring to? How is it?

Thanks again,
Blast

·
Registered
110 Posts
low tech fix

I had the same problem. My low tech fix was to pull out the rubber, and pit a wadded up paper towell between the glass and the seal. This held the rubber a little ways from the glass. I let it sit like that for a few days until the rubber was re-trained. I haven't had it get caught back in there as of yet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Blast, it is the 2004 manual from Helm. I'm still checking out all the info. Not being a GM Goodwrench it is tough for me to follow the sequence of information. Right off it is obvious that the drawings of the parts that accompany the instructions are
way too small for me. Being only line drawings it's difficult to distinquish some of the parts. Like looking at pictures an associate them with the various parts.
The package is two volumes, about equal to the typical yellow pages book.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dang it :cuss

I just put in my order for a service manual.

I had put in to be notified by Helm when the 2004 paper service manuals were available. They haven't as yet notified me.

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,334 Posts
Yep, I just ordered mine too. Ordinarily I can understand just enough from the manual to be really dangerous! (lol)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts