Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't catch a break, lately! Anytime I have a plan the "Truck knows".

First I guess I need to confirm the rubber across the front top and down the door posts is part #15228409
Have a small chain saw drivers side after 60 miles/hr, going on from wind noise, does not appear to be leaking. Does appear the rubber has 'sunk' on both sides almost a half inch x6 inches long, just 3 inches from the edge. The rest of the rubber across the top is almost 1/2 inch above the trim and slightly overlaps the window trim. (Below the rubber I need is the actual window trim -It's were the top seperates when lowering the top.)

Anybody know where I could get or has one?

Cheers

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,275 Posts
Are you positive it is not the A pillar (windshield pillar) cover trim making the noise. Dual lock Velcro and a few push pins are all that hold it in place. If loose, will make hell of a lot of racket. Also is your side window indexed all the way up?

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
river_rat -The front glass was replaced recently and took the SSR in to check it had nothing to do with that install. I called, but did not get a response.
Dicktator -Now that's a surprise, sounds like the noise is coming from roughly were the sunvisor inserts. not much I can do until it stops snowing, but have decided to go on the freeway and take tape with me and tape off the suspected area and if that does not locate, move the tape around a bit. But, it does not appear to be coming from behind, rather in front and high. Just not sure of the part number.

Nothing ventured nothing gained, so Ill try everything. Having a chainsaw noise at above 60miles/hr is not easy to deal with. Have downloaded the .pdf and will wait for weather to clear.
I noticed a "Crimp" in the rubber above the visor, wondering if there might be a crack in the rubber behind it....

Maybe, until this can be identified correctly, this should get moved to another thread? I have a stethoscope as well, but the idea of 60+ and trying to locate the source seems a bit too dangerous.

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,275 Posts
Since the windshield was recently replaced, I would definitely carefully check the A pillar trim on both sides as well as the cowl trim at the outside base of the windshield because most of the aftermarket windshields do not have the proper curvature and the aforementioned trim pieces can/will rattle at speed.

·
BLU SSR
3,462 Posts
Sure sounds like the A pillar trim is loose and vibrating in the wind. Mine came loose and your tape idea is a quick fix/test to see if that is the problem , I used blue painters tape from the top to bottom from the windshield glass to the trim piece . It lasted the 100 miles home and made sure I didn't damage or loose my trim ! FYI - I tried to order new Velcro from GM and what comes in when you order the part indicated are metal clips which probably should have been designed to use but clearly won't attach. After 2 attempts at repair mine is holding using 3M 15lb. Velcro and new push pins.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Duck tape

I think it is the trim piece, especially since it was removed to install the windshield. Use a piece of duck tape run top to bottom to secure the front of the trim piece to the windshield. This will stop the wind from getting under the piece and vibrating . If this doesn't stop it it is the faring in front of the windshield, which was also removed to install the windshield. Same procedure to find out if it is vibrating. Duck tape the driver side to the windshield.

Let us know if one of these works and then we can proceed with a permanent fix.

Jack

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's up to the MODS, either leave the topic here as a reminder or move to Technical discussion, somehow I missed threads on the topic and Dictators 'Help" file.
Flip side, I have read quite a bit now and the comments have helped. I do intend to replace the main rubber as it's crimped anyway and it 'nags' at me every time I put the top down (looking at it).

Still, going to follow the advice on isolating where the noise is actually originating from, although the installer swears it's not from the installed glass AND I had brand new clips to use, my Daughters got a bit carried away with helping -The window is apparently a Foyua(?) I bought a window off Dane, but UPS decided to smash it up, went into hospital and girls my Daughters arranged a fix. I will be ticked if it turns out to be an install issue.

Aside the window noise, I'm still going to replace the front seal from convertible top to the window top, because it's worn at one spot, probably review tensioning on the drivers side when closed.

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts