Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Jerry and I purchased my father in laws 04 SSR 5.3. He purchased the 06 with the 6.0. I just received the Radix Supercharge kit and wanted to run some base line numbers before installing the kit this weekend and the G-Tech pro asks for the weight of the truck for the program calibration. I have look in the O&M manual with no luck.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Jerry

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Vehicle Weight

Should be listed on the inside of the door.

How about Laughlin for you in January?

Tri State SSR Run.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,075 Posts
Weigh it....

Jerry,

Depending on where you get your data, the advertised weight ranges from 4700 to 4800 lb. I strongly suggest that you actually obtain your actual weight and not rely on published info. There are a number of sources that could help you out. Just to get you thinking..... local speed shop, Highway Patrol truck inspection, sand and gravel yards, city waste disposal, etc.... you get my drift. Most of these will do it for free, but some may not be extremely cooperative. Use the phone book and your most charming phone manners..... :angel

When you do weigh it, do so with a full tank of fuel. At about 6.15 pounds per gallon, the 25 gallon tank can induce a significant error. :skep

There are probably members that have already done this and have the data for you. Be sure you know how much fuel was in the tank and whether or not the driver was factored in.

Welcome aboard......

Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
weight of truck

i have a 05 with a auto, with 5 galls of fuel in it ,without me in it,tiped the scales at 4630,also had it dynoed 337hp to the rear wheels and 345 ft lbs of torque. hope that helps you. burt

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Jerry: I had my 04 SSR weighed on a commerical truck scale.

With both me and 14 gallons of fuel in it, it weighed 4960 lb.

Subtracting me and the fuel, it weighs 4639 lb.

Note that the G-Tech needs to be told the TOTAL actual weight of vehicle plus driver, plus fuel, plus passenger (if present). Gas weighs 6.15 lb. per gallon.

Note also that while most or all of the other data that the G-Tech gives you is accurate, and has been proven so in magazine tests, the horsepower and torque numbers it gives you have two fatal flaws:

1. They are supposed to represent NET power and torque available to accelerate the vehicle after deducting the power and torque diverted to overcoming both road and air friction. The road and air friction are LARGE numbers, as the power required to overcome air friction (drag) increases with the CUBE of the speed. So, the numbers and grapgs displayed on the G-Tech for power and torque are not very usable to begin with as a measure of rwhp and rwtorque

2. The curves generated tend to be very ragged with a lot of disturbances (spikes and valleys) for technical reasons having to do with things like road surface, and unfortunately the software grabs, just as dyno software grabs, the literally highest points, even if they are visibly just "spikes" due to these disturbances.

For these reasons, the HP and torque numbers and curves are best disregarded, if you don't want to go crazy chasing things that are not real.

If the power and torwue are important to you, get a Veypor unit instead. It includes a speed sensor that you mount on the test vehicle semi-permanently, and the Veypor uses smart algorithms to compare the readings from the speed sensor versus the inputs from the solid state accelerometer, and it gets appreciably more accurate power and torque results. Veypor has a website.

I own both units, G-Tech and Veypor, and so am speaking from practical knowledge.

Using a G-Tech ACCURATELY is covered in great detail in my book (13 pages, including explanation of the theory and lots of real life examples).

I am also sending you a private message.

Jim G

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I registered mine in CA they required that I get it weighted. Contact your local DMV and the can tell you where the nearest public scales are at. Out here, it cost $10 - and mine weighed 4604 with a half tank of gas. - Lin

PS - congrats on the '04 - I have a UV '04

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
SSRBRAT said:
When I registered mine in CA they required that I get it weighted. Contact your local DMV and the can tell you where the nearest public scales are at. Out here, it cost $10 - and mine weighed 4604 with a half tank of gas. - Lin

PS - congrats on the '04 - I have a UV '04

I was going to keep this to myself.....but that's frickin' crazy....the state really requires the vehicle be weighed? What politician dreamed that one up? If the state had to know it should just require GM to furnish the number once!
Man.......... :willy:

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
I brought my NEW unregistered SSR into California - no requirement to have it weighed. I did however have to have it smogged. :confused Even though I had ordered it WITH the california Emissions option...

Oh, and some Recycling centers have drive-on scales...

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
2005SSR6Speed said:
The reason that the DMV needs it to transfer is that they are registered as commercial. I have had to do this with many pickup trucks in the past, it is a 1 time deal on entry.

It just seems unreasonable....they all weigh about the same. You know the weight of one....you know the weight of all. I guess I have no right to complain...I don't have to do it. :)

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
WOW Fctr: They do vary in weight because of the OPTIONS present or absent. For example:

- sideboards
- trunk carpet lining
- Difference in weight between manual and auto transmissions
etc

Also, do NOT use the weight on the door label (6050 lb, I believe). That is the gross vehicle weight RATING: what the vehicle can weigh at most when fully loaded with occupants and cargo, in order to not exceed axle and tire capacity limits. It is NOT the weight of the SSR!

States often require vehicle weights for COMMERCIAL vehicles. Some of our members have bought their SSRs as "business vehicles", and in some states that means they are treated the same as gravel dump trucks or furniture delivery vans, even though they will never really be a "hauler" in most cases.

The rationale for weighing the vehicle is to assess larger registration fees and taxes on heavy vehicles, because they tear up the roads in proportion to their weight.

The states do not accept that vehicles of the same model and year weigh the same, because most truly COMMERCIAL vehicles are sold in TWO pieces: the basic chassis and cab, and then the custom-built "work" body. Very rarely are any two the same weight.

Jim G

·
Registered
14 Posts
With mine coming from Oklahoma and having been registered there, ( granted it was first sold in January, and Ray bought it for me used in June,) I had to get it smogged, VIN certified at DMV and weighed. The DMV tech told me it was to make sure that the vehicle had not been altered - there are certain ranges for vehicles, and they want to make sure it falls within the range. I think they just wanted to see my pretty Brat and were jealous that they didn't have one. - Lin

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
WOW Fctr: They do vary in weight because of the OPTIONS present or absent. For example:

- sideboards
- trunk carpet lining
- Difference in weight between manual and auto transmissions
etc

Also, do NOT use the weight on the door label (6050 lb, I believe). That is the gross vehicle weight RATING: what the vehicle can weigh at most when fully loaded with occupants and cargo, in order to not exceed axle and tire capacity limits. It is NOT the weight of the SSR!

States often require vehicle weights for COMMERCIAL vehicles. Some of our members have bought their SSRs as "business vehicles", and in some states that means they are treated the same as gravel dump trucks or furniture delivery vans, even though they will never really be a "hauler" in most cases.

The rationale for weighing the vehicle is to assess larger registration fees and taxes on heavy vehicles, because they tear up the roads in proportion to their weight.

The states do not accept that vehicles of the same model and year weigh the same, because most truly COMMERCIAL vehicles are sold in TWO pieces: the basic chassis and cab, and then the custom-built "work" body. Very rarely are any two the same weight.

Jim G

I knew and agree with what you are saying....but let's say that you got an SSR without running boards and had it weighed. Now you install running boards a week later. Do you have to have the vehicle reweighed? I hope not. GM could report a weight with no options and a weight with all (current GM) options. If it's a brand new vehicle, they would ALL fall into that range. It just seems like it would cost more for everyone to weigh their vehicle and pay for someone to collect all that information...etc., etc. I guess I was just more surprised than anything else that people had to do that.

Ps. did you check out any of that info I gave to you a couple of months ago about contract jobs? Doesn't seem like it's panning out yet.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
WowFctr: Yes, I check out all leads. My circumstances seem incredibly unlikely from a probability perspective, so I have to assume this choreography is from a higher source and has purpose.

Jim G

1 - 16 of 16 Posts