Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fan has failed. Only 4400 miles and 6 months old! :mad Temps under 60 degrees out here right now and it was hitting 240+. Fan doesn't come on even with AC override.

Time for a visit to the stealership. Also have them look at my loud clunk from the drivetrain. The only thing tolerable about this is that with the colder wet weather coming I wouldn't be driving it as much anyway.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Good news? - You'll probably get the updated fan though.

Hey, a lot of us have been through this, but it's a easy fix!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Getting a bit tired of the whole "Stealership" bullsh*t on these threads.

Did your Dealership manufacture that vehicle? NO.

C'mon people use just a bit of critical thinking. How arrogant to think we should all have a perfect vehicle without any problems ever.

If it's such a dang chore to drive an SSR. Trade it in for a lifetime bus pass. :mad

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just a reminder...

ssr71 said:
My fan has failed. Only 4400 miles and 6 months old! :mad Temps under 60 degrees out here right now and it was hitting 240+. Fan doesn't come on even with AC override.

Time for a visit to the stealership. Also have them look at my loud clunk from the drivetrain. The only thing tolerable about this is that with the colder wet weather coming I wouldn't be driving it as much anyway.
Sorry to hear about your fan... just happened to mine at 15k miles... just make sure that you tell the dealer service rep that you want a fan from Lansing, not the distribution warehouse or another dealer, then you will get the new fan. Mine took 2 days to get to the dealer and a day to fix... have no problems now... OH... forgot to mention that if you had the overheating, you may have lost some fluid, so make sure the dealer insures it is topped off (unlike the folks who did mine) or you will experience higher than normal engine temperatures. Otherwise, it's running fine again. Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Coz said:
Getting a bit tired of the whole "Stealership" bullsh*t on these threads.

Did your Dealership manufacture that vehicle? NO.

C'mon people use just a bit of critical thinking. How arrogant to think we should all have a perfect vehicle without any problems ever.

If it's such a dang chore to drive an SSR. Trade it in for a lifetime bus pass. :mad
Thanks Coz, I to am getting sick of dealer bashing too. While I know there are some shaddy dealers out there, the vast majority are good and really do want to help. My wife is retired USAF so I followed her all over the country for 20 years and worked at alot of dealers, and all of them put the customer first. So come on people, if you work with the dealer they will work with you, and if you don't like your dealer find another one. I have my flame suit on :lol

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
I agree that general bashing, whether dealerships or women, usually ends up with hard feelings. There are some that deserve a black eye occasionally, like the one in Colorado that AMPMOP ran across.

Generally speaking, a dealership depends on the service department to pay for the facility, overhead and salaries. If the Service department is a failure, the dealership will surely go under.

The fan system is definitely the achilles heel of the truck. GM certainly failed to make the cooling system (all inclusive) of our trucks robust enough. The result is high warranty costs and customer dissatisfaction. At some point, I would think that the Reliability Engineering Department in Detroit will become fully engaged to remedy the situation.

This is where a Poll might be useful.... I would like to see a satisfaction poll on the owner perception of the cooling system of our SSRs. Scale it from 1 to 10. This, coupled with the warranty claim costs of the fan, should drive an engineering change. As an owner, I would be willing to pony up a couple hunderd dollars for an "Optional" service bulletin.

Stop bashing the dealers andf put the pressure where it belongs.... on the GM departments (they know which ones) that compromised the system.

My two cents,

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
I agree that general bashing, whether dealerships or women, usually ends up with hard feelings. There are some that deserve a black eye occasionally, like the one in Colorado that AMPMOP ran across.

Generally speaking, a dealership depends on the service department to pay for the facility, overhead and salaries. If the Service department is a failure, the dealership will surely go under.

The fan system is definitely the achilles heel of the truck. GM certainly failed to make the cooling system (all inclusive) of our trucks robust enough. The result is high warranty costs and customer dissatisfaction. At some point, I would think that the Reliability Engineering Department in Detroit will become fully engaged to remedy the situation.

This is where a Poll might be useful.... I would like to see a satisfaction poll on the owner perception of the cooling system of our SSRs. Scale it from 1 to 10. This, coupled with the warranty claim costs of the fan, should drive an engineering change. As an owner, I would be willing to pony up a couple hunderd dollars for an "Optional" service bulletin.

Stop bashing the dealers andf put the pressure where it belongs.... on the GM departments (they know which ones) that compromised the system.

My two cents,

Mike

:agree

·
Registered
178 Posts
My skin is thick enough to handle any "bashing" what I hate is lazy thinking. Like Mike said. Put the blame where it belongs.

And once again, we're talking about a:

-low production
-specialty street rod
-retractable hardtop
-high performance

pick up truck that was rushed to production and offered to the public because of an immediate demand for this one of a kind joy.

Any more question.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Heavy duty...

motordoctor said:
What is the Lansing updated fan like. Did they make it bigger and covering the radiator.? Motordoctor
The fan's physical characteristics are no different, my understanding is that they improved the quality duty cycle of the fan so it is not supposed to fail. GM did not change the part number, so there are some of the older fans still in the distribution system. You don't want one of the older fans... it will fail again just like the original. You want the new fan from Lansing. :thumbs

·
Registered
579 Posts
New Fan vs. Old

I am supposed to have the new fan installed in my SSR. I have noticed that it is a little louder than the old fan. I could not tell when the old fan was on, but I can when the new fan is on. Also If I drive somewhere and stop the vehicle and then return a short time later and restart the vehicle I have noticed that the temperature ususally has increased to the 240+ mark. Then after I drive it it goes back to below 200. This is in cool (60+) weather. I wonder what it will be in the dog days of summer (100+) temperatures. :boxing

Interestingly enough, my other vehicles, except for the high milege one do not tend to shoot up in temperature after being stopped and then started a short time later. Perhaps the vehicles do that in reality, but maybe they are able to dissipate the heat better than the SSR. :confused

:seeya E :seeya

Orange SSR :ssr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts