Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading this Car & Driver article about the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey in Texas.

They were talking to a Houston Ford dealer that was submerged who said this...

“We had to destroy $61,000 worth of new tires. Drilled holes in all of them. The insides of tires aren’t made to get wet.”

What? That's a new one on me, never heard that before. This was fresh not salt water if it makes a difference, but I wonder if you guys/gals were aware of this?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I have not and used to work for a tire store for years. I would think rubber is rubber and a pretty good material to be around water.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
I was reading this Car & Driver article about the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey in Texas.

They were talking to a Houston Ford dealer that was submerged who said this...

“We had to destroy $61,000 worth of new tires. Drilled holes in all of them. The insides of tires aren’t made to get wet.”

What? That's a new one on me, never heard that before. This was fresh not salt water if it makes a difference, but I wonder if you guys/gals were aware of this?
I have no clue, but how do you arrive at (this was fresh not salt water)......being the nearness of Houston to the coastline and a Hurricane in the mix. While I have no idea as to the circumstances, and nor do I know what diff. salt water would make, I for one would not rule out (salt water) being involved in a Hurricane in the Houston area.:nerd:

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,528 Posts
Downright weird, Bruce.

What happens when you run through a puddle?

! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: !

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no clue, but how do you arrive at (this was fresh not salt water)......being the nearness of Houston to the coastline and a Hurricane in the mix. While I have no idea as to the circumstances, and nor do I know what diff. salt water would make, I for one would not rule out (salt water) being involved in a Hurricane in the Houston area.:nerd:
It says in the article for Houston it was fresh water from the 52 inches of rain rather that storm driven salt water. That made a big difference on the few cars they were salvaging.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Most probably a number they arrived at for Insurance Claim. Never heard of Water hurting rubber and if the tires were on a vehicle, how did water get inside with the air pressures ??? Things that Make You go HMMMMM?

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Hard to imagine a car dealer having that much inventory of unmounted tires. At two hundred bucks a piece that's over three hundred tires, guess it's not out of the question but wow.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Maybe if the tires sat for an extended time submerged in water. Maybe?? But just because they got wet? I don't get it either.

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most probably a number they arrived at for Insurance Claim. Never heard of Water hurting rubber and if the tires were on a vehicle, how did water get inside with the air pressures ??? Things that Make You go HMMMMM?
They weren't mounted, spare stock.

Hard to imagine a car dealer having that much inventory of unmounted tires. At two hundred bucks a piece that's over three hundred tires, guess it's not out of the question but wow.
It is a big dealership, almost 100,000 square building, so if they had a reasonable tire business going, the number of tires needed to cover all the common sizes/models gets quite large quickly. But if they're just servicing their stock and used cars that's a lot of tires

Maybe if the tires sat for an extended time submerged in water. Maybe?? But just because they got wet? I don't get it either.
The way things went down in the area it couldn't have been for than 4 or 5 days and I refuse to believe that would ruin a decent tire.

Flooding, even for a short time, will carry living creatures. Maybe that's why something smells fishy. :whistling:

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got an email from a friend this morning...
Mickey Thompson Tires and General Tires both say to destroy tires that have unknown contaminants inside the new tires due to a flood.
I guess writing off a few thousand dollars now is safer than a possible multi-million dollar lawsuit later.

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This country has become so litigation happy they have to try to cover their butt from every angle, including "unknown contaminants". :cuss
We could probably cut the cost of living 20% if not for frivolous lawsuits.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,051 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts