Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get a couple 18 wheels for the rear of my 04, Are they the same as Trail Blaser, They only make drag radials in 18 inch and the 20's are useless unless you just like to make smoke, Also you can use 18's and still go back up to 29 inches with the tires

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
The 18" wheels will clear the brakes no problem. You just need to make sure that your backspaing is correct. You can go 18X10 with 6" backspace or 18X12 with 8" backspace. You could go even bigger if you relocate the rear shock inboard of the frame rails. I have been looking at this myself. Please double check all the offsets before you buy. These are just my rough measurements with a tape rule.

I also contacted Mickey Thompson Tires about getting some rear tires in the SR series made for our SSR's. I asked for 29X12R20 and 29X14R20 sizes so we can use a 10" or 12" wide wheel. They already have 18" tires that are 26" tall which are perfect for the front. The request I made was forwarded up the chain last week. Maybe we can get a few others to request them too. The site link is below for the Street Rod Tires with the flame pattern.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street.html

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't know about 18" wheels, but American Racing makes a version of the classic Torque Thrust series, called Torq-Six (series 465) which is available in 17" with custom bolt circles and backspacing. All polished, with six spokes. I'm considering a set for mine. What I really would like is 17" chrome smoothies with baldy caps. Anybody know if anything like this is available. I could live with plain steel reversed, black, with baldies, and narrow trim rings.

www.americanracing.com

click in wheels, then all.

should show up on first page.

:banghead

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2005SSR6Speed said:
The 18" wheels will clear the brakes no problem. You just need to make sure that your backspaing is correct. You can go 18X10 with 6" backspace or 18X12 with 8" backspace. You could go even bigger if you relocate the rear shock inboard of the frame rails. I have been looking at this myself. Please double check all the offsets before you buy. These are just my rough measurements with a tape rule.

I also contacted Mickey Thompson Tires about getting some rear tires in the SR series made for our SSR's. I asked for 29X12R20 and 29X14R20 sizes so we can use a 10" or 12" wide wheel. They already have 18" tires that are 26" tall which are perfect for the front. The request I made was forwarded up the chain last week. Maybe we can get a few others to request them too. The site link is below for the Street Rod Tires with the flame pattern.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street.html
I will throw my 2 cents at them and see if it helps, Boy that super charger loves this cold air, Would love to make a few run with the cold air, Mid 12's would be nothing with the winter air and that is with the 5.3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts