Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure this questions been asked before on an older thread but didn't really feel like digging around for it.

The engine heating is starting to be a bit of a concern.

·
Registered
413 Posts
i have never had any heating problems runs around 210 in 90 degree weather

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine was running Hot. Dealer replaced the coolant overflow tank as the cap was stripped.

Now she runs just under 210.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Mine seems to run just under 210, steadily, after warmup. Haven't owned it in the hot summer, yet.

·
Premium Member
9,356 Posts
Did a couple of 3000 mile runs this summer, only noticed it crack the 210 mark while sitting in traffic after a fairly long highway run - went down fairly quickly once we got rolling again, and haven't noticed it climb up in city driving unless we were cruising quickly just prior.

Older posts were indicating that running in the 225 range was acceptable in an all aluminum engine.

Ray

·
Registered
590 Posts
It Is Running Cool Enough If

Your SSR is running cool enough if it doesn't burp coolant out when you shut it off , yes they are designed to run very very hot !

(Easy for me to say as it is -33 here this morning)

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Search

George said:
So anybody going to answer? :confused
Took me five seconds to input "overheating" in the search engine - got 5-6 good quality hits. the info is already there. Look towards your second fan.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
houtex said:
Took me five seconds to input "overheating" in the search engine - got 5-6 good quality hits. the info is already there. Look towards your second fan.

Didn't notice the search button, I'm used to searching page by page manually.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ours hasn't ran over normal at all yet. We have the Magnuson (prototype) Super Charger on it and still running normal. (fingers crossed :) )

Has anyone tried fiddling with different temp thermostats yet?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Run hot solution

My SSR always ran hot herein Dallas.. 220 and almost pgs in traffic.

The problem I saw was the size of the front air dam which has a total og 68 sq. inch area to devert the air up to the radiator. I simply made a new one which has a 108 sq in of push,,this dropped my temp to 195. The project can be done for under $ 20 and the dam looks good also.

:angel

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Jim Prendergast said:

The problem I saw was the size of the front air dam which has a total og 68 sq. inch area to devert the air up to the radiator. I simply made a new one which has a 108 sq in of push,,this dropped my temp to 195. The project can be done for under $ 20 and the dam looks good also.

Hey Jim,

How 'bout a picture or two?

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Jim Prendergast said:

What type of material? Did you use the original hardware? My damn dam has been missing almost since I got my SSR and no overheating problems.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have had mine for a year now. I have not had the problem of running hot. I leave in a city were it is stop and go traffic just to get to work. And have not had any problems.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Overheating

Took mine in because it pegged about a month ago while I was waiting for a train. Told them to check the second fan and that's what it was. they got the part and fixed it today, but the service guy said he had the shop foreman check out the whole cooling system. He said the coolant checked out at -70 degrees.. Strangely enough - he said this was too much and actually inhibited cooling. The factory spec on the engine is -45 degrees and they adjusted it. Don't know if this is widespread, but it is the factory coolant level.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts