Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been looking at SSRs before I got mine and looked at everything from wrecks to high mileage trucks wondering if it would be possible to build one from either two wrecks or a flood and a wrecked one. In trying to research this I was not able to see what kind of money they bring at the salvage sales and figured some of the people on here might know. I found a higher mileage one and got it now so it is more curiosity than anything now for me. Although I do think it would be cool to do one with a narrowed rear end and a lot nitrous going through it. I did see quite a few from the Texas floods listed but I did not sign up to see what they went for. It was heart breaking to see all of them and the mold in the interiors.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Salvage prices are what ever salvage dealer wants to pay Insurance company's for them. Supply in Demand.

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,187 Posts
From the insurance auto auctions they will bring anywhere from 3k -6k depending on the damage, engine and year.

I've got them on my watch list anytime they come up. There is one now, wrecked in the front and stuck at $3,005 for the past week.

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,187 Posts
One thing to remember with the auction sites is that there are fees involved when purchasing, and you may have to get a broker involved which would be another fee on top of that.

·
Super Moderator
13,908 Posts
I am posting this based on thinking about it for less than one minute so this is "IMO"

If you deal with 2 messed up Titles you wind up with an SSR with a bad title.
To make any sense, (and I don't think it does), is one of them has to have a clean title - the other a donor vehicle.

The salvage yards will look for $8k or so for a rolling frame.
I don't follow the sales by CoPart etc but I think some of these "decent" wrecks sell in the $5-8k range.
The only way to make this work is to buy before they get to the salvage yard.

You have to be able to buy a wrecked vehicle from CoPart or IAA
Start buying rolling frames and parts from salvage yards to create a vehicle with a hybrid salvage title does not make sense.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,734 Posts
If your replacing major components from a wrecked donor car to a clean titled vehicle you might feel an obligation to tell a prospective buyer what has been replaced. By doing this though, you might end up shooting yourself in the foot since many buyers may be wary of buying what has become a hybrid vehicle with a clean title. Thinking on the run here, if you had all the old parts or photos on hand to show them it might make it a little more palatable.

Dave

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,878 Posts
If you are thinking of buying a flood damaged truck think twice. Salt water almost everything that is aluminum is ruined and fresh water is just as bad. The vehicles mold almost immediately and flood water has silt in it and that gets into every part. The silt will ruin the gauges, all electrical components, the engine, transmission, rear end, power steering, etc. All that can be fixed but between parts and labor you will spend a fortune and will end up with a marked title and probably will have to keep the SSR until you die because no one will want to buy it from you. Just a few things to consider. I know I just rained on someones parade but just trying to help.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,667 Posts
Salvage SSRs

I know of one SSR that was built from two with branded titles. One was a flood car and the second was a wreck. The owner had to physically remove the VIN tags from both trucks and turn them in, plus both titles, to the DMV. The DMV inspected the hybrid he built using parts from both trucks. Once it passed inspection, the DMV attached its own state-issue VIN number on the door jamb and issued a new branded title for that truck. In some states it is a long path to being able to legally title and register a vehicle with a salvage title. The inspection process can be very onerous. And the resale value is still negatively impacted by having a branded title even if the truck is brought back to like-new condition. Those factors should be taken into consideration when pricing a salvage SSR if one plans to bring it back to legal and roadworthy condition.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All I can say is WOW. I have been watching some of the salvage auctions and there was a front end wrecked one in Washington go for mid 2 grand I think. Blue, Non factory wheels and I think salvage title. There was Black 03 one that a salvage dealer had listed on Ebay that had been in flood water, was cleaned and with a salvage title went for 12,100. The red flood one listed above went for 5825. So it sure seems like they are all over the board what they bring and also where they are located. I am still thinking of looking for a wrecked one and building a fast hot rod out of it. The more I look at them the more I see problems with my thoughts. It may not be doable but I am still looking and working on a plan of attack. May have to back it down to a low 10 second truck, which could probably be done with very little power adder to it. Yeah like that's going to happen. If a little is good, a whole lot is close to enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I buy an sell copart cars all the time and I will tell you that you cant touch a wrecked ssr with the hopes of putting it back together for a decent price. The parts seem to be worth a ton right now and buyers know that. Its really hard to make any money off of the SSRs now because people are getting so much more money for just the parts. Buy a high mileage one vs a wrecked one

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I have a '06 SSR for sale that I feel would be better salvaged. I has a clean TN title but the title was "washed" in Maryland a year or so ago. It runs VERY good, drives good, and looks good from about 40'. Can sent photos. It has all the hard to find parts that are no longer available. Call me Jack, (931)703-6312 in middle TN.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
To Stilhotrod,
The one I just posted for sale may have some of the things you are looking for. I has the 6.0 with 6-spd, full-length headers, and a small cam with a hotrod tune on the computer. It is Quick and I'm old enough to know what Quick is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts