Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a front Plate State and dont want to drill the plate into the paint. Has anyone mounted there plate in an unusual way that still works?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
a retractable unit?

http://www.hotrodproducts.com/RetractAPlate.htm

Interesting idea, but I am not sure how hard it would be to make work......
I've got a perfect one that someone from ssrfanatic made me. You take a couple nuts off the bottom of the transimission radiator, and mount the holder there.

It even has a couple quick release thingies. You pull them and the license holder comes right off. Nice if you like to go to cars shows, I guess.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
dougnc said:
I've got a perfect one that someone from ssrfanatic made me. You take a couple nuts off the bottom of the transimission radiator, and mount the holder there.

It even has a couple quick release thingies. You pull them and the license holder comes right off. Nice if you like to go to cars shows, I guess.
Who Dat?

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

I just bolted it to the plastic air dam under the rad. I took two bolts and ground the body flat behind the head so that the plate hole slot had room to swing back. Double nuts where used to keep the head of bolt out 2 1/2 " from the plastic air dam mount.
I believe it help to add air to the rad also.

Attachments

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
I live in a Front Plate State too - I've decided to take my chances and deal with the issue IF the CHP ever decides to make me...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm with Keith. My front plate is stored in the bed. If I get stopped, I'll just tell the HP that there was no place to mount it and hope for the best.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Illinois Front Plate

:nono
Warning in Illinois running no front plate is not a good idea. The Illinois State Police will tow your vehicle. I left a Grand Sport Corvette parked at a sporting even and came out and it was gone. Of course I called the police to report it stolen and was informed how I might get it back and to bring all plates with me.

I might add IMHO this just gives them a reason to pull you over. If you have had just 1 drink and they smell booze this open's up a whole new can of worms. My father told me long ago he stop having problems like these the day he stopped making them ! Damm my Dad was smart after all :seeya

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NN9S said:
:nono
Warning in Illinois running no front plate is not a good idea. The Illinois State Police will tow your vehicle. I left a Grand Sport Corvette parked at a sporting even and came out and it was gone. Of course I called the police to report it stolen and was informed how I might get it back and to bring all plates with me.

I might add IMHO this just gives them a reason to pull you over. If you have had just 1 drink and they smell booze this open's up a whole new can of worms. My father told me long ago he stop having problems like these the day he stopped making them ! Damm my Dad was smart after all :seeya
Oh yes I know, this is why im asking this question now. They really are bad in IL on no front plate offenders.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Buy and use a repro 57 Chevy license plate bracket (under $20 bucks). Mounts to the inner grille mesh with a coupla hardware store spacers and bolts. No holes in the body ever.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ol57 said:
Buy and use a repro 57 Chevy license plate bracket (under $20 bucks). Mounts to the inner grille mesh with a coupla hardware store spacers and bolts. No holes in the body ever.
Oh Really? Where would I find it being sold?

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I bought the GM tag holder and bolted (2 very small screws) it to the lower body panel under the grill. The curve of the body panel almost hides the tag from a straight on view. I had it there for a week until it got ripped off by a parking curbing. I tossed into the trunk and if i get stopped - "Officer it just fell off and I am going to remount it."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Put "CLASSIC CHEVY INTERNATIONAL" into search engine and then look for PART #35-14. Or do a search for "55-57 chevy replacement parts" and look for the cheapest seller on 57 license plate bracket, although $7.99 at CCI isn't too bad. It's inexpensive, does the job and easily removed. No holes are drilled. Mounting hardware at any ACE Hardware.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thank goodness we dont have to have a front tag in ARIZONA!!!!!! :)

Man are front plates ulgy. They detract ANY car's looks thats for sure

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
My bracket

Here's the bracket I made to mount my front plate. There are two 5/8" pins welded to a piece of angle iron which is bolted on where the air dam is mounted. The bracket is held on with 2 hitch pins which makes it easily removable.

Attachments

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

Just stop to look at the new Pontiac Solstice …. It has a black plastic backing plate with deep 2” black plastic standoffs … same deal bolts through the grill holes.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
REBEL said:
Just stop to look at the new Pontiac Solstice …. It has a black plastic backing plate with deep 2” black plastic standoffs … same deal bolts through the grill holes.
You mean GM has finally come to its senses and designed a non bumper mutilating front plate holder? Will miracles never cease?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts