Chevy SSR Forum banner

What Did You Do With Your SSR Today?

1M views 15K replies 567 participants last post by  Stlhotrod 
Well, Surprise, Surprise, as Gomer would say, I took my R apart AGAIN!!

Removed all eight roof cylinders and sent them to be rebuilt.

When I get back from Laughlin, I will have some more FUN and put the cylinders back in.

You poor Fanatics just drive them.

Dicktator

Attachments

Took Mine apart!

Truck 10 Yrs OLD, needed some updates, just like ME!

What's NEW?

Under Tech Discussions Forum.

SSR How To Library link: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5&id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!105

Dicktator

1. Replaced Door Latch/Lock Assembly Part# All years 15115931 Drivers side/Left is stamped. - Doing P/P for How To Library.
2. Replaced Roof Door Module Part #RDM 03/04 GM 15134308 - Doing P/P for How To Library
3. Replaced Body Control Module Part# #1036789 - Doing P/P for How To Library
4. Replaced bad stepper motor. In How To Library
5. Replaced Window Regulator. Can't find NEW part# - Doing P/P for How To Library

Attachments

Put NEW tires on. Back to Goodyear -front 255/45/19 -rear 295/40/20 (Got a VERY good buy)

Got 32,000 on the Bridgestone. At the time we could not get the rear Goodyear 295/40/20. I know many like other tires but I like the OEM fine.

Bridgestone 275/45/20 on rear and stock 255/45/19 front. Rear are 20mm narrower and 45 is .3" higher. Didn't even effect speedometer.

Never had a problem with them.

My Rims are 06 instead of 04 which I had special painted by Dimmitt Chevrolet in Clearwater. Three times the "sparkle". Sold my 04 rims to Bill Knowles in Mass. WildBill & RED.

I "rashed" one rim a little in a parking garage, had them repaint it while rim was off for new tires. They have the latest "DO NOT TOUCH RIM' tire changing equipment.

Road Force Balance, hide weights, alignment to Zero Camber, Zero Toe. NOT Factory specs but eliminates "dragging" your tires down the road.

What a BIG difference NEW Tires, balance, alignment makes!

Ready to go to Canada again!

Dicktator

1. NEW three times the "sparkle" on R.
2. R at Dimmitt ready for pickup.

Attachments

I took my R down to Home Depot for a load of Tile.

It is a "Truck", you know.

Howard aka Bad Black SSR uses his "Truck" to haul a trailer and mulch in his lawn business.

Mine handled the load very, very well. Only had to drive 10 miles each way.

15 boxes @ 67lbs per box = 1005lbs - Which is what the R is rated for, "One Thousand Pound Pay Load."

I do have Mike's Heavy Duty Shocks, rear is lowered by 2" when empty and I just put 4 NEW OEM tires on.

Dicktator

1. Little "squat" in the back.
2. 15 boxes
3. Looks kinda "LOW".
4. Stripped Office, remove carpet, paint walls, baseboard etc.
5. Removing tack strips. Need to get this done before next year when I turn 80, I want to retire!

Attachments

Nice day in Florida, went to Dade City. City shuts streets down at 1PM, first Saturday on each month and all the cars are parked to walk by.

Had nice lunch, sat in the shade, just a very relaxing day.

Met two SSR Owners who live in Dade City area who did not know about the SSR Site or Florida Chapter, do now.

Dicktator/Kathy

1. Girls planning where to go shopping.
2. We sat behind cars in shade.

Attachments

Pulled my 1951 Chevy P/U out of the rental storage for a car show last night. Put the SSR in the storage unit for the night. This morning went to put the '51 back into the storage unit and ended up scraping the SSR front end while pulling it out of the unit. The storage unit facility has very little maneuvering room, I should have known better than try to make the turn in one go. Now I need to find a repair shop, the PDR guy can't fix this one. Nickel-sized ding in the metal, just scraped paint on the fiberglass bumper guard. Not sure if I'll make the GM Oktoberfest in Silver Springs this October. "It's always something ..."
WELL DONE CARL!!

You have been hanging around me to much!

Dicktator

Attachments

I had small leak on a Radiator Overflow Tank, SO, I changed the hoses AND the tank.

As we all know, you can not see thru the OEM tank to determine fluid level.

Dorman makes a tank that is translucent.

Dicktator

Attachments

Had a radiator leak, Installed NEW radiator, Dam, only 14 years old and 127,000 miles, just don't make them like they used too! Thank goodness!

Put in NEW Radiator (OEM), Reservoir Tank (Clear), thermostat, tensioners and belts.

Some SSR HELP came by and did most of the work, so I just took pictures.

Alex, Jim Greeley, John Quicksilver, Ed Borland, Barry Pattison

ALL better now.

Dicktator

Attachments

My 04 was in the "SSR Hospital" while I was in California doing Tech Seminar and visiting Family.

Only 14 years OLD and 133,000 miles.

Rear engine oil seal, been leaking a while, notorious on 5.3/6.0 SSR.
New seal much better with metal mounting.
Fixed.

Engine Oil pan leak, bad oil pick-up tube, replaced.
Fixed

Transmission Rebuilt while out, good thing I did, clutches about 75% worn, replaced ban, etc. Didn't have to pay labor twice.
Fixed

Plugs, still good but 133,000 miles, and 14 yrs OLD.
Fixed

Plug Wires still good but 133,000 miles and 14 yrs OLD.
Fixed

Brand New 04 Drive Shaft, in box with paperwork, WHY? Because I had one in my "stach" for last 5 yrs, so I put it on.
Fixed

Jeremy said "Retune" not needed.
Alignment because had to remove "Stiffing plate" and LC32.

Interesting, my Alternator gave out when testing R at Garage, 180amp Chrome, had rebuilt, one day and back in business ready for Warren Robbins Rally!

Dicktator

Attachments

If I posted every day on what I do to my SSR, it would be very boring!

Here goes:

Changed idler pulling on belt near alternator, not tensioner, idler.

Got very "shiney" after 136,000 miles which means it is not tracking straight, wobble in bearing. Not expensive, 15mm bolt, this is 03/04 5.3 engine.

Changed torsion bar stabilizers, wore starting to sound off.

Dicktator

Attachments

Changed Fuel Filter on my 04. Only 03/04 have fuel filter mounted on frame, 05/06 fuel filter inside gas tank with fuel pump.
Jim aka Topjimmy helped, did most of the work, so called, took about 15min.

Fuel Filter for 2004
GM 19368932
Advanced Auto Parts – Fram Fuel Filer - #G9344
NAPA – Gold Filter, Fuel Filter #312

Dicktator

Attachments

I replace Idler tension pulley, tension pulley, and fan belt.

Only 146,000 miles

Dicktator

Attachments

I had my OEM radio go bad, 6 disc player showed "disc stuck" none in it. Only lasted 16yrs and 147,000 miles!!

Took out, drove 6 miles to GM Tecni-car and picked up refurbished SSR OEM Radio/6 player.

Took out cluster, I had dash off, lowered my LED lights, had them to high, made a "hot" spot instead of even light. Added another light also.

Scheduled "Programing" for the SSR OEM Radio at Dimmitt Chevy, Shawn took me right in. Radio MUST be programed to SSR Vin #. No, I can't do it with my Tech2. Tried.

All is good, put dash back, removed center console and installed (3) LED bulbs.

Tomorrow I install at Andy's NEW rear springs (lowered), NEW Sport Shocks from Mike aka Mike in AZ. He says I will really like them. I will take pictures of course.

Can get them at: https://shop.simple-engineering.com/category.sc?categoryId=17

Now I am ready for Shade Tree Tech Day on Saturday at Palm Coast Florida.

Dicktator

Attachments

Went by Ed/Debbie aka Sillypuddy and I saw the new "digs" for Old Yella last week, pretty dam nice!!

Waiting until you are done sheet rock and then MY R goes on your lift! Got to make sure it's ok for Old Yella.

Dicktator

Attachments

I did rear spring change, Mike aka https://shop.simple-engineering.com/main.sc sent me his NEW lower rear springs and Sport Shocks.

Very nice! Firmer ride although I havn't been far enough to really comment yet.

Dicktator

Attachments

Nice! Looking forward to doing the same along with the new SE “Sport Bilsteins“ for the rear and Lowering Bilsteins on the Front. ?

Are those OEM springs in the side-by-side photo?
No, the springs that I took off are Elbock, Sun Block, something, been on a long, long time. Lonnie aka Mr. Sinister installed them. They were a lowering spring. Have 148,000 miles on R.

We, in the 50's "dragged" our back bumper on the road, no "rake" not even a shovel. So, I lean toward lower in back.

Also I need 4" front clearance to get on Amtrak Autotrain. I am at 4 5/8" now.

Dicktator

Attachments

Went to see Ed aka Sillypuddy garage progress and pick up fresh tomato's.

Going to be really great! Can't wait to get my R on his lift.

Dicktator

New compressor is not in place yet but cute to look at.
Flamingos, Florida of course.
Even Canadian Geese

Attachments