Chevy SSR Forum banner

8921 - 8940 of 9010 Posts

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,660 Posts
Unfortunately I left mine in the garage today because my age put me in the self isolation category. Hopefully that will change in the near future. It is a crazy world out there and I hope that all are doing their share to help calm the nerves of those around them.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
I'm getting the alignment checked today after new shocks. I changed the wheels to chromes out because of the older alignment machine. I didn't want to take a chance on the pained wheels. I will probably change back because the Super Sports are on the chromes and it still gets cold here.

I is looking more and more that we won't be "road tripping" in a couple of months like we planned. I'm getting the kayak trailer on to do a road check just in case though. We are going to Omaha to pick up a couple of new kayaks for this summer if we go.

I think that we may be all dressed up but no where to go.

Dave

·
Registered
245 Posts
I installed the frame brace plate today. It took me 3 hours. Chased the threads with a tap & applied neversieze to the bolts. Half of the 3 hours was consumed getting the two bolts @ the front to thread into the solid galvanized bar. I am seriously considering having that bar tack welded in place as I'm sure that plate will have to be dropped from time to time. I would imagine the air deflector would be far too close to ground if the truck was lowered. It is a pretty piece in black powder coat as you can see in the picture. Won't be putting the truck on the road for a couple months yet so it will be awhile before I start bragging about any body rigidity improvements.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Gr8. Was it the fronts that you had trouble with?

Dave
Yes, I finally used two small c-clamps to hold the solid zinc coated bar in place in order to get the two bolts started. It isn't impossible but it's very difficult doing it alone. It might be easier if I was standing instead of laying on my side with the front wheels on ramps.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Took the Red Roadster out to log a few top down Permagrin miles. The streets are dry between rain storms and it is 70 degrees! Darn, the Roadster runs well! At a red light I was beside a 2000's era white Vette. He raced the engine and took off when the light turned green. Sounded awful, strange mechanical sounds and plenty of smoke from the exhaust. Hope he was proud...
Lots of families out in the yards and walking. Good to see. Smiles and waves galore. God Bless the USA!
Boomer Bob

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Yes, I finally used two small c-clamps to hold the solid zinc coated bar in place in order to get the two bolts started. It isn't impossible but it's very difficult doing it alone. It might be easier if I was standing instead of laying on my side with the front wheels on ramps.
I WAS standing and it was still difficult.
I used slotted screwdrivers on each side to wedge it in position.
Might have be easier with more than 2 hand also.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Absolutely NOTHING done with the SSR for 2 reasons.
1) That yellow pollen is coating EVERYTHING like crazy now so I won't uncover it.
2) Still spending a lot of time on the wife's DeLorean.
That's all you need to do is be out and get the allergies going from the pollen and then someone will think you have something else because your sneezing. They will have you quarantined and no way out.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
working on my home made bowtie less grill spear. Got it fitted up to front of car and completed epoxy work arround where the bowtie was cut out. Sanded and primed the spear now ready to start painting. Will use duplicolor wheel paint silver, matches existing grill. Plan on 3 to 4 silver coats and 3 coats of clear.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
working on my home made bowtie less grill spear. Got it fitted up to front of car and completed epoxy work arround where the bowtie was cut out. Sanded and primed the spear now ready to start painting. Will use duplicolor wheel paint silver, matches existing grill. Plan on 3 to 4 silver coats and 3 coats of clear.
Will the clear give it a gloss look to it or will it keep the matte look to it?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I hope the weather holds out this weekend and I can do some of my projects on the trucks. I have a good to do list but mother nature has not been nice as of late to working out side. Next thing it will start in with grass cutting season and then I have one more thing on the to do list.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
looking for a gloss look similar to my bowtie grill. I have the hood emblem painted gloss black with the chevrolet script filled in. Car is black with outside door handles also black.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
looking for a gloss look similar to my bowtie grill. I have the hood emblem painted gloss black with the chevrolet script filled in. Car is black with outside door handles also black.
What epoxy did you use on it? My new truck has a broken grill bar and I may try to do something with it.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
I used PC7 , it is 2 part 50 base and 50 hardener comes in many sizes and available grey or white. This is supper strong and has some carbon fiber in it. Then I used regular bondo or glazing compound to complete the final finish. You can get PC7 at Lowes or Ace

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
With the Corona Virus and being cooped up at home. It was such a beautiful day , we took Little red to the local SubWay and got lunch then went down to Ivy Park on the Suwannee River. Sat at a p[ick-nik table right on the river and had lunch watching the fisherman come and go and kids swimming off the boat dock. A beautiful permagrin day if there ever was one. !! Had a great time demonstrating the top function to some people who did not know . A mini car show. Little Red along with Layne and Chris had a good time

Of course hand sanitizer was applied liberally before and after lunch and upon return home. !!

Layne12gun

8921 - 8940 of 9010 Posts