Chevy SSR Forum banner

9581 - 9600 of 9667 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Today is maintenance day. 3 oil changes. 1 Heat shield to be installed. 1 Door lock module to be replaced. Check fluids in all 3 SSRs, tire pressure and just general going over. License plate frame to go on one and then I get to change oil in the wife's 2 vehicles.
I already got the pop up canopy out, work table and tools so I guess I had better get to it.

·
Spirited driver!
1,306 Posts
Lance, since I will be spending your money, might I suggest Mike's front stiffening plate if you don't already have it. May not do much for the "ride" but you will notice the handling and firm feel as you encounter bumps along the way. As for ride smoothness the shocks will help but the biggest improvement my wife noticed was when we put on the new Continentals...quiet and smooth. I have done each improvement separately to monitor the change and this is what we noticed...your results may vary!
I appreciate all the help in spending money but I did all the standard upgrades from Mike early on before we did any cross-country or Canadian trips. I'm still waiting for the alternator to go bad so I can get a chrome one!

·
BLU SSR
3,077 Posts
I appreciate all the help in spending money but I did all the standard upgrades from Mike early on before we did any cross-country or Canadian trips. I'm still waiting for the alternator to go bad so I can get a chrome one!
Hey no problem, I'm always here to help anyone spend their money! Watch that chrome addiction, it can spend money even better than me!!!

·
Premium Member
2006 Pac Blue 6-Speed
249 Posts
I changed the knob on my recently installed Core Shifter. I purchased a 2.25 inch knob, which is about the same size as the OEM knob, and feels better in the hand to me than the smaller knob that came with the Core Shifter. I chose a white knob with blue markings as I like that look with the Pac Blue interior features. Please see below for pics of the new knob, OEM knob, and original Core Shifter knob.

EFA71C34-4BBA-429F-880D-2C3C719EF745_1_201_a.jpeg 45EB9293-9711-49DE-97BC-A19FF236B14B.jpeg

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Recently tipped the odometer at 94k miles, decided its time for the dreaded spark plug and wires swap. It was 89 degrees at 9 a.m. here in Florida when I started this Herculean labor. The humidity was accompanied by an onslaught of the morning mosquito, those flying teeth that embody one human virtue - persistence. The horror is real my friends. Driver-side #1 was a royal pain to access and remove ... took nearly an hour for that one plug; my man-hands couldn't negotiate the impossibly small free-space around that plug. Couldn't access from below unless I wanted to remove Mike's stiffening plate ... not gonna happen. Glad I had a decent pair of Mechanix gloves to protect my knuckles, but too bad those gloves couldn't protect my darling bride from the torrent of expletives that spewed from the darkest and lowest place in my soul ... I really didn't know I could string together that many invectives so clearly and quickly, the Sailor in me was proud. My poor wife soon retreated to the solitude and peacefulness that is our home; while I somehow managed to remove the other 7 plugs between the foul blather that could not be silenced. I managed to destroy only two plug wires in the process with one of them tearing apart much easier than it should have, leading me to at least fool myself that my labor was not in vain. I installed the Bosch Double-Iridium plugs (part # 9602), followed by Edelbrock "Max-Fire" 8.5mm plug wires. The plugs I pulled out all looked fantastic and indicated no problems with the ignition system. I did not remove the driver-side coil pack as some have suggested ... didn't see that it would actually open up space near the plugs. I did unbolt and reposition the radiator overflow tank to access the passenger-side bank of plugs. The two forward-most plugs on the passenger-side were only marginally easier to remove than the #1 on the driver side. I managed to drop my wobble extension more than thrice during this project. In the end, and with everything put back together, the SSR fired right up and sounded beautiful. I took a deep breathe, cleaned up my work area, and restored myself to my normally calm demeanor before going back into my air-conditioned paradise to apologize to my better half.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Well maintenance day has become maintenance weekend. I got started on the new 05 that I got from Phoenix. The dealer threw in an oil change that I really wish they wouldn't have. Some nitwhit thought the oil filter might fall off on the long journey home so he tightened it extra along with the drain plug. The filter collapsed when I tried to use a cap filter wrench on it. I knew that was a bad sign and would only get worse with a strap wrench around the filter. Which it did. I tried every trick I know of to get the filter off with out going to the old screw driver threw it. I finally got enough grip on it with a large pair of channel locks to get it off. The drain plug I had to use my long handled flex head ratchet to get it off.

I had got it all done on the oil change as a storm moved in. It looked like it would be a quick flash storm so I got every thing put up with out putting stuff away. I left it on the ramps. After the flash rain I got the heat shield put on and backed off the ramps. By this time another storm was on the heals of the first one so I picked up everything and called it a day.

I hope I can get more done tomorrow and get all of the oil changes done on everything.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
I changed the knob on my recently installed Core Shifter. I purchased a 2.25 inch knob, which is about the same size as the OEM knob, and feels better in the hand to me than the smaller knob that came with the Core Shifter. I chose a white knob with blue markings as I like that look with the Pac Blue interior features. Please see below for pics of the new knob, OEM knob, and original Core Shifter knob.

View attachment 580952 View attachment 580953
I have that knob on mine with black numbers. I like the feel of the larger knob. I also like the "retro" look.f

Dave

·
SSR Believer
1,188 Posts
Recently tipped the odometer at 94k miles, decided its time for the dreaded spark plug and wires swap. It was 89 degrees at 9 a.m. here in Florida when I started this Herculean labor. The humidity was accompanied by an onslaught of the morning mosquito, those flying teeth that embody one human virtue - persistence. The horror is real my friends. Driver-side #1 was a royal pain to access and remove ... took nearly an hour for that one plug; my man-hands couldn't negotiate the impossibly small free-space around that plug. Couldn't access from below unless I wanted to remove Mike's stiffening plate ... not gonna happen. Glad I had a decent pair of Mechanix gloves to protect my knuckles, but too bad those gloves couldn't protect my darling bride from the torrent of expletives that spewed from the darkest and lowest place in my soul ... I really didn't know I could string together that many invectives so clearly and quickly, the Sailor in me was proud. My poor wife soon retreated to the solitude and peacefulness that is our home; while I somehow managed to remove the other 7 plugs between the foul blather that could not be silenced. I managed to destroy only two plug wires in the process with one of them tearing apart much easier than it should have, leading me to at least fool myself that my labor was not in vain. I installed the Bosch Double-Iridium plugs (part # 9602), followed by Edelbrock "Max-Fire" 8.5mm plug wires. The plugs I pulled out all looked fantastic and indicated no problems with the ignition system. I did not remove the driver-side coil pack as some have suggested ... didn't see that it would actually open up space near the plugs. I did unbolt and reposition the radiator overflow tank to access the passenger-side bank of plugs. The two forward-most plugs on the passenger-side were only marginally easier to remove than the #1 on the driver side. I managed to drop my wobble extension more than thrice during this project. In the end, and with everything put back together, the SSR fired right up and sounded beautiful. I took a deep breathe, cleaned up my work area, and restored myself to my normally calm demeanor before going back into my air-conditioned paradise to apologize to my better half.
Hi Carl... been there, done that, cuss jar is overflowing. Wife knows when to watch and when to shop. ;) It feels good to have that out of the way though doesn't it?

Quick question, how does the spark plug wire connection feel at the plug?

I've posed that question to others and had mixed responses. I'm considering swapping out the new AC Delco wires I installed for the Edelbrocks if the connection feels tighter. I'm used to spark plug cables connecting to the spark plug with a solid "click" and not much movement. The ACDelcos seemed to attach to the plug okay but they feel loose and a bit wobbly. The R's running fine, no misfires, but the loose feeling connection bugs me.

Also, do you remember what part number the Edelbrock wires were?

TIA!

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
richsadams ...

The wires I installed were purchased from Amazon and are part# Edelbrock 22716. The metal sleeves are included as is a small packet of dielectric grease for the boots. See link for the Amazon page.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074TYJRG5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The plug wires did NOT have a noticeable "click" at the plug end, but DID click at the coil end. I just made sure I pressed the plug end as firmly as I could until it absolutely would not move any more, then I visually checked that all the metal heat enclosures were exposed the same distance across the bank of plugs. I did use a relatively liberal amount of dielectric grease (about the size of a pea) on the plug end, only where it contacts the porcelain and not the metal plug connection, to ensure that the boot would slip and slide easily over the plug. I did give a "test tug" on the wire to ensure it was ON firmly (and didn't easily pull OFF).

... and, YES, I am happy that this plug change is complete, I was beginning to worry about the condition of the OEM plugs (and they were OEM plugs and wires) after passing 90k miles. Very happy to see that old plugs were in the condition you hope they are when removed ... clean, dry, grey-brown ash at the porcelain tip, and absolutely NO noticeable wear or corrosion at the gap.

·
SSR Believer
1,188 Posts
richsadams ...

The wires I installed were purchased from Amazon and are part# Edelbrock 22716. The metal sleeves are included as is a small packet of dielectric grease for the boots. See link for the Amazon page.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074TYJRG5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The plug wires did NOT have a noticeable "click" at the plug end, but DID click at the coil end. I just made sure I pressed the plug end as firmly as I could until it absolutely would not move any more, then I visually checked that all the metal heat enclosures were exposed the same distance across the bank of plugs. I did use a relatively liberal amount of dielectric grease (about the size of a pea) on the plug end, only where it contacts the porcelain and not the metal plug connection, to ensure that the boot would slip and slide easily over the plug. I did give a "test tug" on the wire to ensure it was ON firmly (and didn't easily pull OFF).

... and, YES, I am happy that this plug change is complete, I was beginning to worry about the condition of the OEM plugs (and they were OEM plugs and wires) after passing 90k miles. Very happy to see that old plugs were in the condition you hope they are when removed ... clean, dry, grey-brown ash at the porcelain tip, and absolutely NO noticeable wear or corrosion at the gap.
Got it. Thanks Carl and enjoy the ride!

Rich

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
930 Posts
Got it. Thanks Carl and enjoy the ride!

Rich
Just an FYI, I found the 22716 to be too long and the #1 and #2 wires were laying up against the frame, even when I curled them. I returned them and got the 22715s as they are shorter.

The 22716s are 12” long
The 22715s are 8” long
The AC Delcos spec at 9.2. My measurements show them as more like 8, but I wasn’t super careful.

I just plucked one of my Edelbrock wires off to show both the 22715 and the AC Delcos that were on the truck long ago. The Edelbrock wires do not have the right angle at the plug and wouldn’t naturally lay next to the AC Delco wires. That said, they arch nicely away from the exhaust manifolds and heat shields.
2B198AA4-307E-47A3-9F76-1E2089EF0838.jpeg

Here is a pic of the driver side plug wires, number one is under the octopus from the fuse box and 7 is just obscured at this angle by the loom.
3DBCDC5D-6BCC-4B50-BA36-35C675BCBCA7.jpeg

The Edelbrock wires click onto the plugs and the coils.

·
SSR Believer
1,188 Posts
Just an FYI, I found the 22716 to be too long and the #1 and #2 wires were laying up against the frame, even when I curled them. I returned them and got the 22715s as they are shorter.

The 22716s are 12” long
The 22715s are 8” long
The AC Delcos spec at 9.2. My measurements show them as more like 8, but I wasn’t super careful.

I just plucked one of my Edelbrock wires off to show both the 22715 and the AC Delcos that were on the truck long ago. The Edelbrock wires do not have the right angle at the plug and wouldn’t naturally lay next to the AC Delco wires. That said, they arch nicely away from the exhaust manifolds and heat shields.

Here is a pic of the driver side plug wires, number one is under the octopus from the fuse box and 7 is just obscured at this angle by the loom.

The Edelbrock wires click onto the plugs and the coils.
Thanks for that Robert! (y) I saw you noted that in @SWT RYD's spark plug thread.

@carlbush, was that your experience as well... do the Edelbrock 22716 plug wires you installed seem like they're a little too long?

I have both the shorter 22716 and the longer 22715 on my wish list just in case. ;)

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Thanks for that Robert! (y) I saw you noted that in @SWT RYD's spark plug thread.

@carlbush, was that your experience as well... do the Edelbrock 22716 plug wires you installed seem like they're a little too long?

I have both the shorter 22716 and the longer 22715 on my wish list just in case. ;)
No, while the 22716's are definitely longer than OEM, they are not TOO long. The 22716's do not have the 90-degree bend off the plug end, they go straight out from the plug and provide clearance distance from the heads ... I like that. The extra length covers the distance that the 90-deg bend saves with a shorter length wire. Only the front plug wire on the passenger side touches the passenger-side shock tower, all 7 others are free and clear, but with the much larger diameter wire cover (8.5mm), again, not a problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I received my order from @Mike in AZ yesterday so today I installed the rear 4 bolt brace, front air dam, abs heat sheild, shoulder harness pads, SSR valve caps, shifter repair kit, close hood by hook decal and new rear deck struts. Also received my new front lowering shocks, rear shocks and rear lowering springs. Unfortunately I misread the ad and neglected to add the new spring pads and snubbers for the rear springs. Some how I tough they were included with the springs. So those items will be installed at a later date once I receive the needed parts.

She's now ready for our father's day dinner and cruise this evening. Just wish we had some fanatics close by to enjoy it with.

Happy Father's Day fellas!!!

Jim

9581 - 9600 of 9667 Posts