Chevy SSR Forum banner

9781 - 9800 of 9856 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,215 Posts
@DOOPHUS , Curt, sorry to hear that the old boy is feeling a bit under the weather... Get Well Soon Doophus!

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
THANKS, Larry . . . Po Little Doophus !

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !
Unfortunately, Ole Psycho "one upped" The Doophus...took Ole Psycho in to local dealership for my six month oil change, fluid checks + radiator flush, clean and refill...also noticed a strange oil leak that started a couple of weeks ago...a drop or two, last few days oily residue on front passenger wheel and around the base of main overfill tank (by firewall, passenger side of engine compartment), figured it must be a hose or connection leak. Late afternoon call from the service manager - main rear engine seal is shot - quite an expensive repair but in reading previous posts, seems like a rather common occurance with the 05's. Hope this one lasts another 50k miles.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,546 Posts
If it is only a drop or two, oil is cheap. Just check it and add as needed. Might try one of the magic elixirs that you put in the oil that renews the seal. Worth a try. All much cheaper then replacing a rear main especially at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
206 Posts
If it is only a drop or two, oil is cheap. Just check it and add as needed. Might try one of the magic elixirs that you put in the oil that renews the seal. Worth a try. All much cheaper then replacing a rear main especially at the dealer.
Auggie, I don't think that would work. Our LS engines use a teflon lip seal on the rear main like most late model engine designs. In my experience these thing last forever unless there is an installation problem or an issue specific to one's engine such as a crank surface imperfection. Being flouroelastomer they are impervious to most chemicals thus the "magic elixirs" are unlikely to have any effect. I can remember back in the early days, '50s &'60s the cheap trick was to pour brake fluid into the crankcase, it would swell the rubber seals & voila, temporary fix. Swollen rubber was soft & wore quickly.
They just don't make them like they used to, in my humble opinion better. Just ask BlueStreak.

·
BLU SSR
3,163 Posts
Just my $.02 , but if all the Chevys with a drop or two of oil on the floor under the rear main where taken off the road - at least half would be sittin' still. If they are telling you that it must be replaced for a couple drops they are just trying to get your money! I had a dealership tell me the same thing when I took my SS in for its annual oil change after sitting for 6 months and it was wet at the rear seal. They were quite insistent that it needed it done - that was a few years ago and the last time they saw the Impala. By the way it still is running just fine and will have a couple drops on the floor after long periods of inactivity , drive it and it is all better.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,280 Posts
Mine started leaking when i had the new trans put in. The dealer fixed it for me since they did the transmission replacement at 213K miles.

·
Slingshot Rules!
69,739 Posts
Unfortunately, Ole Psycho "one upped" The Doophus...

For years I frequently heard . . . "If you own a Jeep CJ, be prepared for oil puddles on the garage floor." After a number of "fixes" with new seals, gaskets and whatever, I was beginning to believe there was some truth to that theory.

About five years ago, I switched to Mobil 1 High Mileage Oil and those little Oil Drops are 99% ALL GONE.

Definitely something to consider . . .

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,280 Posts
Nice, can you get the trailer hitch on with it there?

·
SSR Believer
1,245 Posts
Nice, can you get the trailer hitch on with it there?
I had a similar question. Ours has a custom trailer hitch and I'm wondering how much work it would be to attach one of Mike's Fanatic plates to a basic trailer hitch cap/plug that slides into the receiver? It'd be pretty easy to install/remove as needed.

tailer hitch plug 1.JPG

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,280 Posts
I had a similar question. Ours has a custom trailer hitch and I'm wondering how much work it would be to attach one of Mike's Fanatic plates to a basic trailer hitch cap/plug that slides into the receiver? It'd be pretty easy to install/remove as needed.
If you have the 2 inch square and the plug that you can lock in it should be fairly simple. It is the ones that hang down that are tough because of the drop required to get the hitch out and back in.

Reactions: richsadams

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
For years I frequently heard . . . "If you own a Jeep CJ, be prepared for oil puddles on the garage floor." After a number of "fixes" with new seals, gaskets and whatever, I was beginning to believe there was some truth to that theory.

About five years ago, I switched to Mobil 1 High Mileage Oil and those little Oil Drops are 99% ALL GONE.

Definitely something to consider . . .

Started as a few drops on the garage floor, developed into a noticeable amount of "throwback" in the lower engine compartment, passenger side; last Sunday during "washday", noticed more than a few drops on the R/F wheel surface, mainly on the back side. Had appointment scheduled for oil change and added this to the check list. If it had remained a "few drops on the garage floor" could have lived with it indefinitely...

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,280 Posts
Reactions: Railroad Guy

·
Trygodfirst
820 Posts
I saw a red SSR at a local gas station, so i pulled in. I saw the owner sitting in drivers seat in the shade with the door open. As i approached, card in hand, i noticed a six speed shifter and had already noticed the lack of the GM emblem. So i said "Nice 05 SSR, its the right color too". He was amazed i knew all that. I handed him my card and we talked for awhile. I wish i had driven mine today but, i was wearing a 2019 Maggie Valley polo. Hopefully he will join but i know he will be contacting @Mike in AZ at simple engineering.

He explained his drivers side inside door handle wasn't working, i felt the handle and explained what had happened. I went on to mention that the forum and mikes website would be able to help. He stated he was going to pull the door panel this weekend and take a peek. I discussed this further and then noticed the ashtray was open with nothing in it. He said that happened about week ago, i also explained that mike once again could help.

He had just stopped to eat on way home and found a parking spot in the shade. What a great chance meeting.

We talked more and i shared some pictures as i was in my daily driver.
I volunteered a road trip, as he lives only about an hour from me, if he needed help. I also mentioned the international rally in 2021.

If you reading this
Welcome Choa ( i know i probably screwed that up, sorry) it was a pleasure talking to you today.
Small world

·
Trygodfirst
820 Posts
Took Elsie out for a cruise and some data logging. Had a couple nice launch ramp runs, and surprised a BMW that thought it could power by me. The look on his face as he kept glancing over was priceless. Elsie just kept pulling...
Awesome

·
Trygodfirst
820 Posts
After disconnecting the battery to do the fuse box PM, we’ve been driving the ODB procedures at night all week. I’ve been checking the DTCs and making sure her systems checks were in line before heading over for the “inspection” and no surprise Babe the Blue Ox passed inspection.

Then a funny thing happened after picking up dinner. We cruising from a stop light In the middle lane and had to make a right at the next light The car to the right would not let me ease into the gap, and they seemed to slow down when I did. The car in front was busy on the phone, and the truck behind us was crowding. I turned to my wife and said, I really need to get right. Her response, Really? I said, Oh yeah. I forgot we were in Elsie. Plenty of time. Hit the left blinker, dialed up a little boost and we were no longer boxed in. Signaled every lane change and eased to a stop in the right lane at the light. Super chargers are a lot of fun.

View attachment 582123

“Cuz after all he’s just a man”.
:):) Love it. Guess we’re all getting cabin fever and ready to get out and run our SSRs a little.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
I made one cruise night so far this year before the state took a step back and shut them down. This month we set a new all time record for rain. Today I hooked up my battery tender once again as I am not sure when I can get back on the road.

9781 - 9800 of 9856 Posts